Underground simulation?

ncc1701e

Probably a year or so back in time I have a vague recollection of a thread where urban combat was discussed.  I think it involved how to improve the game for an eventual "proper" Stalingrad type battle.  Sewers were mentioned in the discussion.  So I think there is some wish for them.  I think they would be cool.  However I can't remember BFC saying that it is in the pipeline.    

IIRC CM1 had that feature.  But, it was removed when they did CM2.  Probably wasn't used much or didn't work too well.  I played CM1 a lot and don't recall using it more than once.  I think there was a good probability the units would never be seen again.  (Or am I getting confused with "Squad Leader"...?)

• 2 months later...

The old sewer movement was odd but it could create some remarkable situations.....Many years ago I was designing and testing a Soviet assault vs. Volksturm plus a few Grenadiers with Marder support and had inadvertently left it turned on.  When I tested it their tanks appeared and promptly got into a long range scuffle with the Marders, who killed a few then retreated into town behind the barricades & minefields.  At which point they, along with the Volksturm defenders & Grenadier HQ, were promptly assaulted point-blank by hordes of Soviet infantry pouring out of all the heavy buildings.  :o

As it turns out the AI had used the sewer connection from the intact half of a ruined factory building to bypass the defences, it turned into one of the best house to house battles I ever fought.  I left it in the finished scenario which I sent to a mate along with a warning that Russians can be tricky.....He loved it too!  B)

FWIW

If you sent a platoon through, it always seemed to be the officer that vanished too!  But it was useful in the 'Stalingrad Tractor Works' campaign IIRC.

It's easy enough to model uncons emerging from tunnels, but escaping through them we can't do without exit zones.....I hope some form of underground movement is included as a feature of CM:SF too, it's very appropriate given the evidence we have seen in Aleppo & Mosul.

11 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Well, if we actually ever get a Mosul scenario it might be useful.  Not holding my breath at this point.

As I am one of two people who has made a scenario for this title (well two or maybe three actually) in the past 12 months (5 of which were  spent in Iraq), I remind you that I have no intention of making one as stated the last time (and not the first time) you bemoaned the lack of scenarios featuring the fight against ISIS.  I would therefore suggest that you either continue to not hold your breath, click the button labelled 'Scenario Editor' and stop nagging those who continue to create content for this title.  As I have said in my scenario tutorial - one of the strongest motivations I have for doing this and the one that keeps me going after bashing away for the third week creating the map (my current timeline for an Op MOSHTARAK scenario) is that it is an action/scenario that I am interested in and want to bring to the community.  Seriously you are pushing a huge boulder uphill if you think that you are going to convince someone to make a scenario by pester power alone.

However if you like Afghan stuff then there is a pipeline of stuff planned from this scenario designer ....;)

Tell you what Erwin, find me a breakdown of the forces you'd like to use and some inspirational images (keep in mind the limitations of what CM:SF can do), help me out with the briefings and I'll see if I can work up something on LLF's masterpiece of an urban map.....How's that?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

As I am one of two people who has made a scenario for this title (well two or maybe three actually) in the past 12 months (5 of which were  spent in Iraq), I remind you that I have no intention of making one as stated the last time (and not the first time) you bemoaned the lack of scenarios featuring the fight against ISIS.  I would therefore suggest that you either continue to not hold your breath, click the button labelled 'Scenario Editor' and stop nagging those who continue to create content for this title.  As I have said in my scenario tutorial - one of the strongest motivations I have for doing ^_^this and the one that keeps me going after bashing away for the third week creating the map (my current timeline for an Op MOSHTARAK scenario) is that it is an action/scenario that I am interested in and want to bring to the community.  Seriously you are pushing a huge boulder uphill if you think that you are going to convince someone to make a scenario by pester power alone.

However if you like Afghan stuff then there is a pipeline of stuff planned from this scenario designer ....;)

Jeez Cman - I wasn't thinking of you or any specific designer.  Just saying "so sad" that for some reason no one wants to do a Mosul scenario.  It's not always about you, y'know.  A shrink would call that "projection".  Take a chill pill, man. 

I used to enjoy designing for CM1, but I have no talent or passion for the much greater time and effort it requires to design for CM2.  I couldn't even get thru your tutorial - which brilliantly demonstrates the frightening complexity of designing for CM2 and why so few new scenarios are being designed!!  Respect... for you designers.  (Looking forward to anything you do. btw.)

SS: Can definitely help with writing.  Have no idea what specific units are involved.  Thought that's wot you grogs are informed abaht.  My professional estimation would be Iraqis and ISIS with a very few elite US spec ops thrown in.  ^_^