Panzergrenadier Tactics (training film in German but with later English subtitles)

• 9 months later...

Slightly similar: the "Frontschau" videos. Obviously it's german propaganda and it's not as detailed at the Panzergrenadier video in regards to tactics, but I still found it pretty "convincing" (as in not overly "glorifying" or portraying combat in a fantastic/hollywood manner). 

PS: Here is a combined version with some (not always completely convincing) english synchronization: 

Edited by Kaunitz

3 hours ago, Kaunitz said:

Slightly similar: the "Frontschau" videos. Obviously it's german propaganda and it's not as detailed at the Panzergrenadier video in regards to tactics, but I still found it pretty "convincing" (as in not overly "glorifying" or portraying combat in a fantastic/hollywood manner). 

PS: Here is a combined version with some (not always completely convincing) english synchronization: 

I wouldn´t consider the "Frontschau" (of which I know most made public thus far) series "propaganda" at all. At least not more than any other related ones from US, UK or russian etc. sources. The director of this series is of doubtful nature for sure, but that doesn´t change anything on the purpose = training! But thanks for sharing. Think I do not know this one yet!  B) Edit: I know this one.

this one and many many more aren´t originally made sound films. First indication usually is the shown MG34 or 42 ridiculously low rates of fire. Sounds were added in studios later. Wonder why they made it this way. They´d surely appropiate tone material to their avail. Guess it was to hide certain technical performance things from enemy spying out. Like Wochenschau I think these films weren´t prevented from some more public viewing, maybe to attract young volunteers. Who knows....

Edited by RockinHarry

The best sound is the riccochet sound at 1:06:00 (*peeeeeew*). I don't know of any original WWII records with sound, do you? It's the same as with the colorized =/= color clips. 

Indeed now that I'm watching all the videos, they seem to be very realistic. In some scenes I even wondered wheather it was real combat footage. I was also very intrigued by the clip on Soviet field fortifications, the horse cart columns and the ski trooper attack (ca. 02:08:00).

Edited by Kaunitz

• 2 weeks later...

I hope John Kettler as the original author of the post is not mad at me if I continue to post tactically relevant stuff. I've come across this article that describes the german defensive setups in 1944 on the Eastern Front: http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/trench-warfare-eastern-front.html

I suppose most of you know about “The Lone Sentry”? Lots of interesting stuff can be found in the "Tactical and Technical Trends" series, published by the U.S. Military Intelligence Service in WWII from June 1942 to June 1945. http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin/tt_trends.html

And an interesting read for german defensive tactics on the Eastern Front until March 1943: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a187901.pdf (takes long to load)

Edited by Kaunitz

On 6/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, Kaunitz said:

The best sound is the riccochet sound at 1:06:00 (*peeeeeew*). I don't know of any original WWII records with sound, do you? It's the same as with the colorized =/= color clips. 

Indeed now that I'm watching all the videos, they seem to be very realistic. In some scenes I even wondered wheather it was real combat footage. I was also very intrigued by the clip on Soviet field fortifications, the horse cart columns and the ski trooper attack (ca. 02:08:00).

Can´t recall any ATM but I´m fairly sure I´d watched some in the past. But where and when.....

Some or even all that Frontschau films include real frontline sequences, but likely not all combat scenes might be "real" and rather staged (I guess). Germans just like other nations had their filming war reporters and I´d guess most the frontline materials came from here. I sometimes notice some mixed in training ground film sequences which are identifiable by some the eastearn german sandy soiled terrain types and other features. Juterbog maybe. Think the Men against Tanks (Maenner gegen Panzer) training film was made there in example.

• 5 months later...

"Infanteriegruppe als Spähtrupp" (The infantry squad on a recon mission for the company)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJwEsfobXy8

@40:43, you can see a schematic presentation of the squad's retrograde movement (footage starting @32:18) upon contact. The distance between the german squad in the rivulet and the enemy heavy MG is said to be 150m. The distance between the german light MG (back in the wood) and the enemy heavy MG is 350m. 

Edited by Kaunitz

On 12/7/2019 at 11:00 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Extremely interesting stuff, Kaunitz. Pity about the english synchronization. I was hoping to find more Frontschau videos, but couldn't.

keyword search usually lets pop up more of them, though not all under Frontschau label. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=german+training+films+ww2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Commanderski said:

To be fair and balanced here is a link to 

Aye it’s useful video also. I did ask him if he was planning on more Soviet tactics etc videos. He replied they did not get as much attention - so effort to create the video vs views was not a great return. Shame - so I hope he does create some additional Soviet focus content esp on armoured tactics etc.