• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Erwin

If CM3 could look like this

I think Aragorn2002's point is more what you see is what you might not get . For example yes the buildings "look" great, but that is partly becasuse you can't enter them. Any considerations that CM has to address are not there. Essentially those "building ruins" are just pretty walls with no substance. Be careful what you wish for. 

I agree it it would be nice if CM had the look and playability options. Just important though to keep one's expectations grounded. 

Ok, ok... calm down everybody...  it was a post more in the vein of wishful thinking then a hard and fast "expectation".  Aim for the stars and you may at least hit the moon sort of thing...   Maybe I have Asberger's and take things too literally, but I didn't realize everyone else here suffered from that as well.  Can we form a club maybe?

Was it Assburger ? Or u meant asperger ? :) I think I knkw what you meant about graphics and more... I do agree , hell we should all agree, that an improvement of graphics on top of what is already great, will be welcomed. 

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ok, ok... calm down everybody...  it was a post more in the vein of wishful thinking then a hard and fast "expectation".  Aim for the stars and you may at least hit the moon sort of thing...   Maybe I have Asberger's and take things too literally, but I didn't realize everyone else here suffered from that as well.  Can we form a club maybe?

I think we already have.

:)  Ok, so I am dyslexik as well.

Maybe we can start discussing and comparing our symptoms and personal horror stories - good therapy.  And there isn't much other discussion on these forums at the moment...

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Maybe we can start discussing and comparing our symptoms and personal horror stories - good therapy.  And there isn't much other discussion on these forums at the moment...

:D

On 19.11.2016 at 4:33 PM, Erwin said:

To give some food for your discussion and to bring it back to the OP:

Of course, better graphics would be nice. If they come without cost, may it be in coin or computer power.

Otherwise, I am of the old board game faction (well, I still play them) and would say: Rather a good game play, than nice looks.

I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable.

The funny side: I contacted the game designer and he answered "I know, I know. But that is how the publishers wanted it. You can download the proper rules here...."

"I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable."

OMG - I remember that monster as well.  All the hours of rules lawyering.  Where does one get the "proper" rules?

On July 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Otherwise, I am of the old board game faction (well, I still play them) and would say: Rather a good game play, than nice looks.

I agree. When I began playing boardgames over 50 years ago, you were lucky to get cardboard counters with a minimum of information printed on them and thin paper maps which if you were very, very lucky would be printed in four colors (more likely only one or two). I still marvel at just how good the graphics are in CM.

This is not to say that I would be opposed to better graphics if that were easily done. I just don't see that a great effort would be justified. I notice that some players feel differently about the subject, and I suppose that they are seeking a different playing experience from mine. They throw the word 'immersion' around a lot. Well, war is ugly and dangerous and I don't particularly wish to be especially immersed in it, thank you just the same. For me, the value of wargames is two fold. The first is as a dynamic interactive way to study a historical event that is of particular interest. The second is the intellectual challenge of solving a tactical or strategic problem. The rest, the fear, the hunger, the filth, the noise you can keep.

Michael

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

"I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable."

OMG - I remember that monster as well.  All the hours of rules lawyering.  Where does one get the "proper" rules?

Monster? Are we talking about the same game? I refer to the AoN published by Phalanx Games back in 2003. Originally, it was more a "beer and pretzel" family game But "rules lawerying" sounds like it.

You can download the 2006 official rules here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19792/aon-v2-main-rulespdf

My printed copy seems to date back to 2005 and is v1.24, but I don't have the link anymore. If you want I could scan it for you. In addition, I have some comments and clarifications, from Renauld Verlaque, which I could send you.

PM me, if you want it.

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I agree. When I began playing boardgames over 50 years ago, you were lucky to get cardboard counters with a minimum of information printed on them and thin paper maps which if you were very, very lucky would be printed in four colors (more likely only one or two). I still marvel at just how good the graphics are in CM.

This is not to say that I would be opposed to better graphics if that were easily done. I just don't see that a great effort would be justified. I notice that some players feel differently about the subject, and I suppose that they are seeking a different playing experience from mine. They throw the word 'immersion' around a lot. Well, war is ugly and dangerous and I don't particularly wish to be especially immersed in it, thank you just the same. For me, the value of wargames is two fold. The first is as a dynamic interactive way to study a historical event that is of particular interest. The second is the intellectual challenge of solving a tactical or strategic problem. The rest, the fear, the hunger, the filth, the noise you can keep.

Michael

Yep, when I started, "only" 40 years ago, I used to buy games of a topic, which interested me at the time (well, sort of obvious) and then started to read about it until I found "That's enough background" now. Very educating. Perfect way to learn a lot of details, which one never needs later.

As for the immersion: I am fully with you, I too don't need the "blood and gore" part. But then, I remember some "La Bataille" battles,which we played over a long weekends, until late at night each day. Especially one of the many Waterloo replays, where I attacked the British left flank with one French Corps (which was a mistake in itself). And the front line wavered and crumbled for hours, but never broke. THAT was immersive. Emotions went pretty hot that day and dice flew through the room more than once....

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

No problem. You don't hear the missing Swiss accent, when I am writing. ?

Does that mean I don't have to read your posts aloud in a Schwarzenegger accent any more? :)

(I know he's from Austria)

On 15.7.2017 at 6:15 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Does that mean I don't have to read your posts aloud in a Schwarzenegger accent any more? :)

(I know he's from Austria)

Nope, try to pronounce it this way:

Or rather like that?

Edited by StieliAlpha