If CM3 could look like this

Erwin

I think Aragorn2002's point is more what you see is what you might not get . For example yes the buildings "look" great, but that is partly becasuse you can't enter them. Any considerations that CM has to address are not there. Essentially those "building ruins" are just pretty walls with no substance. Be careful what you wish for. 

I agree it it would be nice if CM had the look and playability options. Just important though to keep one's expectations grounded. 

Ok, ok... calm down everybody...  it was a post more in the vein of wishful thinking then a hard and fast "expectation".  Aim for the stars and you may at least hit the moon sort of thing...   Maybe I have Asberger's and take things too literally, but I didn't realize everyone else here suffered from that as well.  Can we form a club maybe?

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ok, ok... calm down everybody...  it was a post more in the vein of wishful thinking then a hard and fast "expectation".  Aim for the stars and you may at least hit the moon sort of thing...   Maybe I have Asberger's and take things too literally, but I didn't realize everyone else here suffered from that as well.  Can we form a club maybe?

I think we already have.

• 7 months later...
On 19.11.2016 at 4:33 PM, Erwin said:

:)  Ok, so I am dyslexik as well.

Maybe we can start discussing and comparing our symptoms and personal horror stories - good therapy.  And there isn't much other discussion on these forums at the moment...

To give some food for your discussion and to bring it back to the OP:

Of course, better graphics would be nice. If they come without cost, may it be in coin or computer power.

Otherwise, I am of the old board game faction (well, I still play them) and would say: Rather a good game play, than nice looks.

I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable.

The funny side: I contacted the game designer and he answered "I know, I know. But that is how the publishers wanted it. You can download the proper rules here...."

"I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable."

OMG - I remember that monster as well.  All the hours of rules lawyering.  Where does one get the "proper" rules?

On July 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Otherwise, I am of the old board game faction (well, I still play them) and would say: Rather a good game play, than nice looks.

I agree. When I began playing boardgames over 50 years ago, you were lucky to get cardboard counters with a minimum of information printed on them and thin paper maps which if you were very, very lucky would be printed in four colors (more likely only one or two). I still marvel at just how good the graphics are in CM.

This is not to say that I would be opposed to better graphics if that were easily done. I just don't see that a great effort would be justified. I notice that some players feel differently about the subject, and I suppose that they are seeking a different playing experience from mine. They throw the word 'immersion' around a lot. Well, war is ugly and dangerous and I don't particularly wish to be especially immersed in it, thank you just the same. For me, the value of wargames is two fold. The first is as a dynamic interactive way to study a historical event that is of particular interest. The second is the intellectual challenge of solving a tactical or strategic problem. The rest, the fear, the hunger, the filth, the noise you can keep.

Michael

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

"I still remember our first try to play "Age of Napoleon". Looked like a "beer and bretzel" game with perfect components. After three hours of rules discussion, we concluded: Unplayable."

OMG - I remember that monster as well.  All the hours of rules lawyering.  Where does one get the "proper" rules?

Monster? Are we talking about the same game? I refer to the AoN published by Phalanx Games back in 2003. Originally, it was more a "beer and pretzel" family game But "rules lawerying" sounds like it.

You can download the 2006 official rules here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19792/aon-v2-main-rulespdf

My printed copy seems to date back to 2005 and is v1.24, but I don't have the link anymore. If you want I could scan it for you. In addition, I have some comments and clarifications, from Renauld Verlaque, which I could send you.

PM me, if you want it.

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I agree. When I began playing boardgames over 50 years ago, you were lucky to get cardboard counters with a minimum of information printed on them and thin paper maps which if you were very, very lucky would be printed in four colors (more likely only one or two). I still marvel at just how good the graphics are in CM.

This is not to say that I would be opposed to better graphics if that were easily done. I just don't see that a great effort would be justified. I notice that some players feel differently about the subject, and I suppose that they are seeking a different playing experience from mine. They throw the word 'immersion' around a lot. Well, war is ugly and dangerous and I don't particularly wish to be especially immersed in it, thank you just the same. For me, the value of wargames is two fold. The first is as a dynamic interactive way to study a historical event that is of particular interest. The second is the intellectual challenge of solving a tactical or strategic problem. The rest, the fear, the hunger, the filth, the noise you can keep.

Michael

Yep, when I started, "only" 40 years ago, I used to buy games of a topic, which interested me at the time (well, sort of obvious) and then started to read about it until I found "That's enough background" now. Very educating. Perfect way to learn a lot of details, which one never needs later.

As for the immersion: I am fully with you, I too don't need the "blood and gore" part. But then, I remember some "La Bataille" battles,which we played over a long weekends, until late at night each day. Especially one of the many Waterloo replays, where I attacked the British left flank with one French Corps (which was a mistake in itself). And the front line wavered and crumbled for hours, but never broke. THAT was immersive. Emotions went pretty hot that day and dice flew through the room more than once....