Comparative tank mobility in terrain. Video

A co

Really a very interesting video and clarifying. The Panther was not just "marginally" better off road than the Sherman. And I always concluded that light tanks would be more flexible in off road conditions but the opposite is the reality. 

But was the Sherman better in on road performance? Due to mechanical reliability and longer track life. That would be a factor in Western Europe where a lot of tank action took place on roads. And, perhaps it was a design choice as the Sherman would have then been a better break through and exploitation weapon. Was this the concept that the American designers were basing the design on? I have not clue and am throwing this out for comment.

Interesting video! 

On 17.11.2016 at 4:16 PM, Erwin said:

Since everything seems to depend on weight/sq inch ground pressure and that is affected by width of the tracks, one would predict the T-34 would be the best.  That's probably why they didn't use a T-34 in the comparisons.  Politically incorrect to show the superiority of Russian tanks.

In addition the movie mentioned the number of wheels. It states that the weight "passed on" by a wheel is mainly beared by but 2 track-links (I assume the size of the wheels and the track-links matters here too). The Sherma's performance was so poor because it had only 6 comparatively small wheels with lots of space in between them, so that the the whole weight of the tank was concentrated on rather small points rather than over the whole track. The panther, on the other hand, had 8 quite large wheels with hardly any space in between so that the weight of the tank was distributed more evenly over the whole length of the track / on a larger number of track-links. I guess the T-34 would have been somewhere in the middle? It has but 5 wheels per side, but these are rather large and there is not a lot of space in between them.

On 18.11.2016 at 3:41 AM, Vanir Ausf B said:

Yes. In the vehicle UI look for a stat called Off-Road, That is a rough measure of how prone to bogging it is.

Good to know! I was also thinking that this refered to offroad-speed, not offroad-reliability/bogging chance. 

Edited by Kaunitz

6 hours ago, Kaunitz said:

Good to know! I was also thinking that this refered to offroad-speed, not offroad-reliability/bogging chance. 

I have not tested it, but from casual observation I believe it does affect how much a vehicle's speed is reduced when off-road compared to it's on-road speed.

7 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I have not tested it, but from casual observation I believe it does affect how much a vehicle's speed is reduced when off-road compared to it's on-road speed.

I am inclined to agree with you, but this is just from casual unscientific observation so take it with a grain of salt.

Michael