IronCat60

Repeat edge on Map Overlay

Okay ladies and gentlemen I have a unusual Map Overlay problem. When I apply a map overlay the right side edge of the overlay repeats itself on the left edge of the overlay. Up to about 5 action squares or so.

I have tried different screen resolutions, tried resizing the overlay to a wider image and still same fault. I am running a 15" laptop and use the latest Gimp for creating overlays.

Honestly this is the first time I have noticed this fault and do not remember if this has occurred previously and I just didn't notice.

I think I might have a clue to solve this one, because I noticed a similar problem.

When I design scenarios, I make a little picture file and upload to serve as the scenario's thumbnail. This file is in .BMP format. When I create this file on my windows 7 laptop and then transfer it to my win 10 gaming machine, I notice a similar thing as you: a bit of the image is cut off from the right side and added to the left side.

The way I solved this was to open the BMP on my win 10 machine (in Paint) and then immediately save it again as .BMP, overwriting the original file. After doing this, the image would import just fine.

Maybe you need to do the same for your image overlay?

Thank you Bulletpoint! That did the trick! I wonder why sophisticated Gimp screws up the image when simple Paint does it right? I guess it's the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). :)

Also thank you for such a quick reply!

Edited by mech.gato

5 hours ago, mech.gato said:

I wonder why sophisticated Gimp screws up the image when simple Paint does it right?

I am sure the Gimp devs are trying to do the right thing but there are some oddities in the BMP file formats.  There are several variations that have been tweaked over the years.  Graphics programs like Gimp and Paint have a lot of variation they have to deal with (and no doubt plenty of code to handle this variations) but the game wants the images in one particular format.  When those programs save the file they probably feel free to use the most up to date or modern or in the devs eyes best version of the format - you might notice that some programs have a sea of options when saving a BMP while others do not.  I strongly suspect that there is a set of settings / options for saving BMP files in GIMP that would produce the file format you want but Paint just does it that way by default.  When I was creating the site http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com/ I used a command line image processing tool to convert the BMP files to jpg files to save space and that tool can handle various variations but it spits out warnings about what it considers missing or old style data - and I see a warning for every image in the logs.  :D

Thanks for the reply Ian.

Me thinks you are correct on your statement about Gimp. It can alter and save a image in a multitude of ways. But like cooking, if the recipe calls for salt and you use sea salt thinking "eh, salt is salt" your dish will come out tasting a little off.

Thank you again for that line of thought. Some times I can't see the forest because all these damn trees are in the way.