Can you recommend what I should buy?

Hey all!

After playing the Combat Mission BN Demo, I've decided to go ahead and purchase a package. I'm not sure *which* though.

My first thought is just do the CM:BN Big Bundle, but I wanted to check here, as this is what I'm looking for:

I like smaller, more tactical engagements than larger ones, and I like more urban settings (buildings, hedgerows, etc) vs open fields. 

With this in mind, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

If you're a building/hedgerow kind'a guy I think you've answered your own question! CMBN has the advantage of being most 'mature'. By that I mean its the full finished game, all of the modules are in place, the content is enormous. If you want more beyond that CMBN stops the end of Sept and CMFB starts the next day, beginning of October

Thanks! can you tell me, does the full game have any kind of encyclopedia, regarding all the different units/weapons, with some historical context? I'm not all that knowledgeable about the guns/vehicles of WW2, and it would be nice if the game gave some indication as to when certain weapons are useful over others, etc. 

Also, while I'm at it, I've been looking for a graphics mod to help perk it up a bit - is there a one-shot mod you can recommend that will make the game look better in multiple ways (terrain, units, effects, etc)?

Thanks!

Edited by Johnlondon125

There's the manual of course which briefly describes each gun, each vehicle, each airplane, each artillery piece. If you need more the encyclopedia is... Google! Seriously. If you don't know what Fallschirmjäger is Google tells all and then some. Down to battle locations. You can drive over the real Nijmegen bridge in Google Earth Street View before doing it in the game.

the manuals (its a PDF) actually has pretty good descriptions of all the equipment and vehicles, but they won't really tell you when to use them and when not to, thats kinda the fun of playing combat mission (for myself at least) is I have NO idea what i doing 90% of the time hehe. i think most of the challenge of the game comes from learning how to use the controls the game gives you, should i use a walk or hunt command? do i want to target arc or let the AI be free? those types of things, and I will agree with MikeyD google is your friend, particularly with finding out infantry tactics each nation used, since each nation has a different infantry platoon set up that kinda revolves around how they planned on deploying them. using US infantry like German ones will most of the time not give the results you desire. as far as mods just google combat mission mods and you should be able to find the third party site (i think its actually linked in a forum header around here somewhere too) i recommend the ez terrain mod, but the Aris one is great too.

oh and lastly grab a sound mod, makes a huge difference

(a side note, most mods are updated for the latest game or module that came out, so i think the UI mod i have is labeled as CMFB but it still works in Italy and Normandy)

Edited by Cobetco

If you play solo and like West Front I'd say CMFB is the way to go due to new AI triggers. Infact I'm an East Front nut but I actually boot up CMFB and CMBN with all the modules far more often than CMRT. For some reason though I loved SHock Force once the Brit module was released I can't get into Black Sea (though if a campaign comes out that doesn't have LOADS of units I may start to warm to it more).

Edited by Wodin

Welcome John! :)

If you want WW2 close quarters experience then definitively go with CMBN, especially with the MG pack, as it cover a lot of urban fighting. Also, this game ( with all modules and 3.0 version) is the most complete of all and it is the one with the major quantity of units and equipment. I wouldnt recomend you CMRT if you are looking for small scenarios, as it has very open scenarios, with little cover apart from woods, and usually featuring lots of tanks. CMFI has some very interesting city scenarios but the majority are also open. CMFB is more or less similar to CMBN so I will second what Mikey said and recomend you CMFB if you are looking for some extra material for CMBN.

And if you looking for modern CQB battles, CMBS would not dissapoint you either.

My honest recomendation is that you try all the demos, especially the ones of the newer games, as they are updated to v3.0.and you will get a peak of what kind of scenarios you will have with the full game. Hope it has been of help :) 

Hey John,

Welcome to the world of war gaming! This is a interest that pays you back in knowledge and fun. Knowledge of the different vehicles and weapons and the way they effect the tactics used, Fun as in actually seeing M4's and Mk IV's rolling around the terrain as a historically and technically correct representation of a WW2 battle unfolds before you.  

If you need a helping hand with the different troop formations and equipment in CMBN and how they were used in real life I am a WW2 buff who is available to help answer questions. And I firmly believe there is no stupid question. The only dumb question is the one you want to ask but you fail to do so. All of the members here are still learning new facts and they are very helpful in sharing their knowledge.

If you like I can give you my e-mail in a private message so you can reach me directly.

Also here is a series of how-to videos by Lt. Col. (ret) Jeffrey Paulding. He draws upon his 11 years as an active-duty infantry officer in the U.S. Army and a quarter-century of experience with computer wargames to help you maximize your tactical skills in Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

Hi John

And welcome to the club.

I noted, that nobody answered your question about the "one-shot graphics mod".

Well, there is none. But there is a "one stop shop" for mods and scenarios. Check out www.thefewgoodmen.com

There you'll find practically all community made mods, scenarios and campaigns.

Coming back to the mods, which really improve the immersion of the game. A standard answer would be: Get all of Aris' mods, plus the latest HQS sound mod, plus Juju's UI interface. (Apologies to all modders not mentioned.)

Look ahead to hours of fun downloading, selecting and customising the mods of your liking!