mdora

CMFI Saved Game Location

Another question from this late adopter,

Where does CMFI keep its saved games files? I've looked in "..\CMFI\Game Files\Saved Games" but don't see anything there, even though I have been saving games, and have checked "show hidden files". CMBfN _does_ have its saved games in the corresponding location though.

Thanks

Mike

Query on this - I installed the full CM Eng 4.00 CMFI+GL 2.00.  However I have ZERO scenarios or campaigns in my new My docs games files folder. 

Is reinstalling the only way to solve this?

Did you look in the folder because the game shows now scenarios or campaigns? If the game shows none when you run it then yeah I think running the install again would be in order. If the game happily shows you scenarios and campaigns then you are looking in the wrong place. Windows allows you to move your My Documents folder. I have found that when you do that you can sometimes end up with wreckage of the old one lying around.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Did you look in the folder because the game shows now scenarios or campaigns? If the game shows none when you run it then yeah I think running the install again would be in order. If the game happily shows you scenarios and campaigns then you are looking in the wrong place. Windows allows you to move your My Documents folder. I have found that when you do that you can sometimes end up with wreckage of the old one lying around.

Thanks for the quick reply ianL -

yeah zero scenarios/files shown in game AND I recently moved HDD locations (Upgraded main OS SSD :) )

Yeah, If you know where the new My Documents directory is (the one that is empty) and you can find the original files you can just copy them over. If not a reinstall should fix that up.

Complete reinstall done - problem sorted - Many Thanks IanL as always your advice accurate, helpful and quick.

Worst thing is that I then spent next couple of hours reinstalling all MODS and of course some new one's that caught my fancy not to mention trying to figure out which UI and Icon MOD I had settled on last time :)

All FUN

33 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Quick question, how do I change this back?

You cannot

33 minutes ago, SLIM said:

I don't want mods, saved games, or game data in the My Documents folder, I want it in the folder I installed the game into.
Also, who is to blame for this nonsense? I expect a flogging.

Microsoft. Good luck flogging them all :)

2 minutes ago, IanL said:

Microsoft. Good luck flogging them all :)

Really? Because while installing the game it specifically showed it installing files to the C drive, while the installation folder I had specified was on the D drive.
CMBN and CMSF don't have this problem, both installed correctly.

So, basically, I just shelled out 80 bucks for a game that won't install where I tell it to?

Great. :(

Yes, it is. MS locked down the Program Files directory - no more saving files into folders under there. I suppose it's true that if you ask to install the game to another directory then they could choose to put it all under one directory then. Meh.

You can set up Windows to place the user folders on the drive of your choice. I have mine pointing to my D drive so my small SSD drive is not filled with pictures, docs or game saves.

15 hours ago, SLIM said:

@IanL
Well does the normal 'Z' folder still work for adding mods?
I don't want to cram many gigabytes of mods onto my Windows OS disk.

You can now place modes in the old place (a z folder under the data folder) or in the new place (a mods folder under the my documents folder). The mods under the my documents folder are shared by all versions of a particular game you might have while the mods in the game's install folder only apply to that version. Very handy for those of us with multiple versions installed.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, IanL said:

You can now place modes in the old place (a z folder under the data folder) or in the new place (a mods folder under the my documents folder). The mods under the my documents folder are shared by all versions of a particular game you might have while the mods in the game's install folder only apply to that version. Very handy for those of us with multiple versions installed.

Honestly, I'm just being crotchety because, "things ain't the way they were before, dagnabbit!"
As long as the Z folder still works, I can make do.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, IanL said:

I suppose it's true that if you ask to install the game to another directory then they could choose to put it all under one directory then. Meh.

That's the way I've always done it. One disk for OS, one disk for games, and never the two shall meet.