WIP: H2H "Man of the Our"

I'm working on a scenario, a huge H2H battle that depicts the fighting around Ouren/Sevenig on 16th/17th December as the Germans launched the Ardennes offensive and tried to find crossing points across the Our river. It will probably be a 2-3 hour battle that is semi-historical in the sense that it picks certain aspects of two days of fighting into a "final stages" kind of scenario. Map is about 75% done but might be expanded/cropped depending on how research goes. I have started that and have a fair understanding of which forces were involved but will decide how large each side should be, how units will appear and so on to make it fun and challenging to play.

ouren5preview_zpsvt7182jl.jpg

ouren6preview_zpspkvfjtl2.jpg

ouren1preview_zpsxfb2dyx9.jpg

ouren7preview_zpsh7y7dmfv.jpg

ouren8preview_zpsh7rbmdxn.jpg

ouren2preview_zpshnqg4qmf.jpg

ouren3preview_zpsmd4iib0r.jpg

ouren4preview_zpsuxi7dflc.jpg

27 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Yes, amazing map.   How many man-hours did that take?

thank you :)

Hard to tell, perhaps 2 hours to create the overlay for the editor (stictched together 9 screenshots from a topo map service) and another 15-20 h for the map so far. However, I don't really work in an efficient way and this map is the most complex I've made so far, in part due to steep elevation changes, so I'm learning as I go along. Next map will be made much quicker.

Is it accurate in a 1:1 ratio regarding distances and elevations?  It looks like a wonderful map.  But, am curious if you had to shorten the RL dimensions/distances to fit them into the max map size, but left the elevations as is.  The slopes seem very steep.  It's hard to see how AFV's could make their way thru it. 

It is accurate at 1:1. Many of the slopes around Ouren are cliff faces and can't be traversed by vehicles and some not by infantry either. Add to that thick forests and muddy/damp conditions.There was pretty much only one viable road into Ouren that was used by German armor. So part of the scenario will be to clear forces defending that road while trying to infiltrate Ouren and its surroundings with infantry to decimate its defenders.

7 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Maybe I'll release it on Dec 17th :)

But, that is probably too optimistic. But maybe at TPG. Map almost done and forces 50% in place.

Take your time. I'm working on my first scenario for a couple of months now (with great help and inspiration of Kohlenklau). It's fun, but time consuming and sometimes it is necessary to change direction. My map is also done, setup is complete and now it's time for the AI, triggers, objectives and such (that's where Phil comes in :)). I've spend a lot of time on it, but like you say learning all the way and enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

Update:

The scenario development has been on hold for a while. The guys I had pegged for pre-TPG testing has too much to do, so I'm going to test on my own in hotseat mode to find tweaks to gameplay and map. Here are a few screenies:

Last thoughts before going into battle

ouren3_zpselmwipmu.jpg

Moving into position

ouren5_zpsc476nxbr.jpg

Last outpost of the Siegfried Line

ouren1_zpsifyshujv.jpg

Overwatch

ouren2_zpspwrrqr3y.jpg

Defend the bridges!

ouren4_zpswa78qwwt.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok, after too long a wait (damn RL issues...) this scenario has been put up on TPG under the new name "Rittersprung (H2H)". I have had it playtested once (thanks a lot to @Bob Willett and @LiveNoMore :) ) and made what I think are good changes but would want some more feedback before the full release. Any tests are as usual most appreciated.

Enjoy!

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/cm-final-blitzkrieg/rittersprung-h2h-only/

Edited by rocketman

Looks great, you picked a interesting battle. Good situation and unusual terrain. Both should make for a interesting scenario.

Thanks for your efforts, it can be time consuming. I am interested in playing this soon hopefully.

I enjoy making scenarios, but RL  and the time it takes just don't make it on my list of items to do presently with the time I have.

But am glad to see others doing what appears to be fine work.

• 6 months later...