mdora

Late Starter - Fundamental Questions

OK I admit I'm a late starter, I've had the CM2/3 series on my system for years but I'm only now getting in to them (am away on an overseas deployment in a place with little to do between work!).

So I have three questions which I'm sure have long ago been answered, please bear with me:

1.  Is there any way to get some kind of texture/basic terrain on the surface between the highly detailed "play area" and the horizon? The CM1 series handled this pretty well, for me the bland blank flat khaki surface beyond the edge of the play area is a real immersion killer.

2.  Is it true that I can't hitch up a gun to the back of a tow vehicle to haul it to a new location, or am I missing something? This was quite straightforward in the CM1 series, being unable to shift for example AT guns around to where they're needed most is very frustrating.

3.  What has happened to the very useful tactical commands that were included in the final iteration of CM1 (CMAK), such as "Seek Hull Down", "Shoot and Scoot", and "Move to Contact"? 

My (very late!) impression is that the CM2/3 series are an awful lot nicer to look at, but that they have lost a significant degree of control over the player's units. Any advice please?

Thanks

Mike

1. sorry not aware of it, but i always thought of CM as being played an a table like traditional wargames so it never really bothered me i guess?

2. YES you can still move guns assuming they have been packed up first, but it takes forever, and the AI behind moving them is lack luster and a constant source of debate on the forums. (the exception is AA guns and 88mm ATGS, they are immobile) 

3. closest thing to move to contact is the "hunt" command, which works pretty much the same. as far a shoot and scoot, once again a requested command around here, most vehicles however have less than realistic accuracy when on the move (particularly when going slow). so that's the fix for that kinda, once again a hunt command can kinda be used. as far a hull down? its a thing you have to do manually, not difficult when you get used to it, if you TARGET an enemy or terrain tile you may get various status states of the shooter, like "indirect angle" and "shooter is in hull down" so you can use that to help you in that quest.

@Cobetco has pretty much covered it. I'll just add that shoot and scoot can be totally implemented with movement orders and pauses.

Select the tank and plot a forward movement order to where you want it to fire from.

Select the way point and set a pause, say for 15s, and optionaly set a target order.

Deslect the way point and plot a reverse move order back to cover.

There you just set a shoot and scoot. And it is more flexible since you can set the pauses as you wish and more complex movement orders.

21 hours ago, mdora said:

<Snip>  3.  What has happened to the very useful tactical commands that were included in the final iteration of CM1 (CMAK), such as "Seek Hull Down",

Also it looks like the 4.0 Engine upgrade will have a Hull Down command.