I Have No Idea What to Buy

modules are worst choice. for example in bn modules you get one hundread quick battle maps u will never play.out of those 100, only 10 are decent. formations are (regardless of historical accruracy which is subject for itself) boring in a way that everything is similar. there are very little unique ambient/atmosphere things in modules to justify  those formations being "a must".

if u are fanatic about waffen SS or luftwafe, yes buy cmbn modules

my recomendation would be to stick to base games , whatever you choose. after 1 month every choice will seem like a bad choice

i'd go for cmbs right now, its in good shape after 1.04 patch, then i'd go for cmFB, its winter soon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

1. What is your rough estimate of the percentage of WW2 tactics that I can reuse on nowadays battlefield?

Well it is a good start to know basic tactics for sure.  I have no idea of a percentage but I can say that there are differences and that I have yet to figure them out.  My win record in WW2 is way better than in CMBS.  There have been a few discussions that might help you with that. The one that I found quickly was:

19 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

2. Is it as easy to find an opponent on CMBS than on CMBN?

It is easy to find opponents yes.  Check out this thread that discusses some options:

May I recommend the blitz scenario of the month - which picks two titles per month for showcase a scenario and encourage people to play new opponents.  Here is a link to an announcement thread for CMBS but each title gets a new post on their respective announcement threads as appropriate for the month.

15 hours ago, lapdog33 said:

modules are worst choice. for example ..

...whatever you choose. after 1 month every choice will seem like a bad choice

Ah, huhh?!? Am I missing something?  Why are you here if you don't like these games?  It is totally your prerogative if you don't like them it just seems strange that you would post here if you don't enjoy these games.

17 hours ago, lapdog33 said:

modules are worst choice. for example in bn modules you get one hundread quick battle maps u will never play.out of those 100, only 10 are decent. formations are (regardless of historical accruracy which is subject for itself) boring in a way that everything is similar. there are very little unique ambient/atmosphere things in modules to justify  those formations being "a must".

if u are fanatic about waffen SS or luftwafe, yes buy cmbn modules

I bought the Commonwealth module to try my hand at the British forces, and they definitely play differently from the US "easy mode" army :) 

The Brits play like the worst of the German army (slow firing rifles, lack of proper platoon based mortar - what do you mean you only brought 12 rounds for this 50mm popcorn launcher?) combined with the worst of the US army (weak, slow, myopic WW1 style tanks). Add to that slow artillery call times, and you have the recipe for a good challenge.

The bren gun is pretty good though and especially the bren carrier is the queen of the battlefield.

The included campaign Scottish Corridor also has many good battles (and some less good, but let's focus on the positives here).

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Ah, huhh?!? Am I missing something?  Why are you here if you don't like these games?  It is totally your prerogative if you don't like them it just seems strange that you would post here if you don't enjoy these games.

i do like this game, i probably have 1000 hours in it, but for someone who is not sure what to buy, he shouldnt focus on 1 theatre with modules  since changes are far less noticable than those in completely different theatres and most maps do not feel real.   as i said ofc unless he is fanatical worshiper of ss or american army in cmbs or russians or whatever, he should go wide instead of trying to build up one game.

even if i like the game, maps,bugs, and lack of features/visuals  are facts and it all relates to this thread since hes deciding how to approach buying the games. for example if there were vast amounts of details in BN dlcs , had the game less abstracted things which would be able to visualize in those modules, then perhaps they would be a good choice. this way you are just buying more of the same and failing to see whats up in CMBS or FB for example since money is a key factor at the present moment

also quoting 7% of my text is NOT a good choice

Edited by lapdog33

21 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I bought the Commonwealth module to try my hand at the British forces, and they definitely play differently from the US "easy mode" army :) 

The Brits play like the worst of the German army (slow firing rifles, lack of proper platoon based mortar - what do you mean you only brought 12 rounds for this 50mm popcorn launcher?) combined with the worst of the US army (weak, slow, myopic WW1 style tanks). Add to that slow artillery call times, and you have the recipe for a good challenge.

The bren gun is pretty good though and especially the bren carrier is the queen of the battlefield.

The included campaign Scottish Corridor also has many good battles (and some less good, but let's focus on the positives here).

true brits are different but in my view its safer to jump from BN vanila to CMFI or even better CMBS , you get something much more different when you take into account everything

Edited by lapdog33

18 minutes ago, lapdog33 said:

also quoting 7% of my text is NOT a good choice

Quoting the part I am responding to is exactly the right choice. Granted your post was not particularly long but sometimes people write a wall of text, quoting the whole thing just to respond to one or two lines is not good forum etiquette.

The play difference between those robust CMSF Marine squads, the tiny CM:Afghanistan Russian squads, SMG-carrying tank rider Russians in WWII, and those unwieldy unsplitable Italian infantry squads, is HUGE in the games. So tactics definitely need to be adjusted from unit to unit. That being said, the basics like using terrain features for cover, stealthily approaching buildings from their windowless face, gaining local firepower superiority, etc. are tactics that span generations.

While I had the most fun in CMx2 with CMSF, I'd advise CMBN with modules for content quantity and the latest games (CMBS and CMFB) for quality. Basically you should buy them all :), but in general the latest games will have the best quality while the oldest have the most quantity content. 

CMSF has a lot of quantity regarding to content. The quality was great at the time of release, but newer content has improved quality wise also because CMSF isn't updated past CMx2 v1. CMBN is up to date with regards to engine (CMx2v3) but the game and scenario maker skills have improved since it's release so campaigns/scenario's for CMFB and CMBS have more features. Anyway, my 2ct.

Edited by Lethaface

18 hours ago, IanL said:

Quoting the part I am responding to is exactly the right choice. Granted your post was not particularly long but sometimes people write a wall of text, quoting the whole thing just to respond to one or two lines is not good forum etiquette.

theres a much better name for that. for example you can call it  twisting the context of my message and cherry picking sentences  in order to present it in different light. but whatever you are the smartest guy on the world, ofcourse after stevey boy.

no need to tell me that i just lied about you thinking you are 2nd smartest guy in the world 

we all know that you are 4th smartest guy on this planet

On 11/5/2016 at 11:36 AM, guachi said:

It's a moot point, anyway. I just tried to buy something and got an error message so it's off to customer support I go.

Hope you managed to sort this out.  Battlefront has a wonderful support department.  I've found that they are very helpful, prompt and intelligent.  I'm happy to spend money to a company that stands behind what they sell.  I've never had any issues giving them my money but I suspect they would offer the same outstanding service I've experienced post purchase.

I'm interested in this thread.  The feedback may guide the decision on my next purchase.  

Guachi,
have you experimented with the demos?  Black Sea      Final Blitzkrieg   Red Thunder  Fortress Italy  

Hey guys, do all the games use the same graphics engine or are the graphics better in FB than they were in BN?   From what I can see Red Thunder looks like an improvement over BN but maybe just my eyes.   Found this thread very informative but wondering if anything in the graphics front changes from game to game.   Thanks

rss334,

Welcome aboard!

The answer to your question, in degree at least,  depends on which version of CMBN you mean. As released, CMFB makes CMBN as released look like veritable art school beginner's work. The visual quality delta decreased a bit as CMBN got patched, but the real magic lay in the paid upgrades. Don't know how BFC did it, but the 3.0 upgrade to CMBN worked magic with what I was seeing on my ancient iMac and its woefully inadequate 256 MB of VRAM. CMFB has gone well beyond even 3.0 and has gorgeous graphics--again via software only. Really have to ask Steve where Charles gets his magic wands!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

37 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

^ Thanks John, I thought I bought FI a while back but turns out I bought Normandy, although I enjoy it I don't much care for the hedgerows but really love the units and combat putside of those restricted hedgerow maps. So was looking at Fortress Italy+GL or RT next just wondered if one was visually upgraded over the other in any way.,  Leaning towards FI as RT seems a little to big and open but it sure looks cool.

I do agree though after applying the 3.0 patch to Normandy it looked a lot better stock but that version number of  2.20 had me going around in circles until I found a post stating that was actually 3.0 .  If graphics between FI and RT are about equal though I'm leaning heavily in the FI camp at this time

rss334,

I don't own it, but I've seen enough AARs and videos to be totally confident in say it: CMFI looks cool. It's got mountains. Real mountains, and the effect it has on the viewer is simply tremendous, all the more if coming out of that confounded bocage. The vehicles in CMFI are much cooler, for the Allies have camouflage paint, too, and there are lots of ither goodies. If you've got CMBN, you owe it to yourself to get CW and MG. The British ground is more diverse, but I can't tell you what a relief it was to be out of the bocage altogether in MG. That was nothing, though, compared to the vastness of the steppe in CMBS, though I suppose you can have that same feeling in CMRT, which I also don't own. But CMBS has great armored toys on both sides (Ukraine and the US being counted as one for my purposes), rather than masses of Russian armor and infantry vs. mostly a few StuGs and infantry, with German tanks being, I believe, quite rare.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Thanks again John, I do think FI is on the list next followed by RT unless something new comes out in the interim.   So much to choose from the only thing holding me back is time !   Come on retirement.....   This thread was very useful for those not familiar with all the titles.   Thanks to everyone.

rss334,

Happy to help. Look on the bright side. You may lack time, but you're fully able to play. I'm generally not. Something to do with bad downstream effects from a brain bleed. Yet I have lots of time. Color me frustrated!  As for CM, there was once a time (myth to some) in which there was only CMx1 CMBO and we were all on the CMBO Forum together. Back then, the GDF was a glorious place to be, too. Many many bee farms worth of activity. Each successive CM release, while expanding gaming options and depth, has resulted in an ever more fragmented and dispersed group of Members. Just look at how little's been happening on CMFB. To me, relative to the other CM games, it's practically a nonevent in terms of activity on that Forum.

Regards,

John Kettler

John I'm a lurker I read the forums from time to time but don't post much, I have seen the people kind of group together around certain products in my time. I guess it has it's upside and downsides.   You are right compared to your story I should be thankful I can play when time permits, it does sound frustrating to have the time but not the ability to do everything you would want when the mood strikes,  sorry to hear that.

10 hours ago, rss334 said:

Hey guys, do all the games use the same graphics engine or are the graphics better in FB than they were in BN?

Same graphics engine. To my eye, old CMBN looks better than new CMFB, because I don't think they really nailed the winter environment well. But you could just download both demos and take a look for yourself.

50 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Same graphics engine. To my eye, old CMBN looks better than new CMFB, because I don't think they really nailed the winter environment well. But you could just download both demos and take a look for yourself.

One mod I found made the winter environment more convincing is Benpark's snowy trees. It works with the demo too.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:45 PM, Wodin said:

Build up the CMBN game you own first:). CMBN with it's modules and FB are my favorite out of all of them except Italy or CMRT as I don't own it. I'm an East Front nut as well..yets I sill go to CMBN with module sor FB first.

I like your Comment, Wodin...It appears that CMBN and, Well, all other WWII titles are your favorite games  :-)

13 hours ago, John Kettler said:

rss334,

... Each successive CM release, while expanding gaming options and depth, has resulted in an ever more fragmented and dispersed group of Members. Just look at how little's been happening on CMFB. To me, relative to the other CM games, it's practically a nonevent in terms of activity on that Forum.

John Kettler

Couldn't agree more.  Having so many products with separate forums is making each forum very sparse.  Back in CM1 days, the forums were very active and were only divided between CMBO, CMBB and CMAK.  Today re CM2, there are currently only a couple dozen of us posting most of the messages on all the forums.  It's starting to seem like BF forums are dying on its feet like the ones at the once very active WeBOB - with only one or two active areas.  Right now, most of the CMBS chatter is about politics and technical weapons systems issues - hardly anything about playing the game itself. 

I hope this isn't affecting the customer base.  But, that may be an increasing concern.  I wonder if having separate forums is a good idea any longer.  After all, it's the same game and engine, just different eras or geographic areas.  Perhaps the forums should be consolidated a la CM1 to West Front, East Front and Southern Front.