Buildings & HE / Mods and other stuff.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Well for those of us that come to the CMFB thread to read about CMFB it is best to leave the modern stuff at the door

It doesn't matter what era the game is set in.  The question is whether building walls have similar characteristics between titles. 

AFAIK there is no such thing as an "interior wall" in CM2.  If the building parameters are the same across titles, and all building walls are actually exterior-type walls (ie: stronger/thicker than what is normal for interior walls) then it explains why there is little effect when one tries to shoot through an exterior wall into a room and expect the fire to continue out the back 2nd (exterior-type) wall, then through the 3rd (exterior-type) wall into the next room where an enemy may be lurking in ambush.  

That certainly explains what I have been seeing in any CM2 title, not just the modern ones.  This may simply be another of those situations where the game doesn't reflect RL.  It's not a game breaker, just an observation that players need to take into account that penetration of projectiles into multi-room buildings is poor and why ambushes from units in a 2nd room are hard to counter without destroying the building.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

It doesn't matter what era the game is set in.  The question is whether building walls have similar characteristics between titles. 

AFAIK there is no such thing as an "interior wall" in CM2.  If the building parameters are the same across titles, and all building walls are actually exterior-type walls (ie: stronger/thicker than what is normal for interior walls) then it explains why there is little effect when one tries to shoot through an exterior wall into a room and expect the fire to continue out the back 2nd (exterior-type) wall, then through the 3rd (exterior-type) wall into the next room where an enemy may be lurking in ambush.  

That certainly explains what I have been seeing in any CM2 title, not just the modern ones.  This may simply be another of those situations where the game doesn't reflect RL.  It's not a game breaker, just an observation that players need to take into account that penetration of projectiles into multi-room buildings is poor and why ambushes from units in a 2nd room are hard to counter without destroying the building.

No you're wrong - not all abutting buildings have double interior (exterior type) walls.

On 1 December 2018 at 12:09 AM, Erwin said:

Actually this is exactly the issue I was trying to describe earlier re fire not being effective through a 2nd wall.  Perhaps my posts were not clear enuff.

I think your troops shoot into the floor when you order them to fire from one building into an adjacent one. So that's the issue, not that shots don't penetrate interior walls. 

15 hours ago, Combatintman said:

not all abutting buildings have double interior (exterior type) walls.

You mean when it's a "pre-made" multiroom building available in the editor.  Yes I understand that.  But, many buildings are constructed by the designer, and in those cases am theorizing that the adjacent "interior" walls are actually double exterior walls.  That presumably would affect penetration and explain some of the challenges I described.  It's just something that a player needs to be aware of when planning an assault.

Edited by Erwin

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You mean when it's a "pre-made" multiroom building available in the editor.  Yes I understand that.  But, many buildings are constructed by the designer, and in those cases am theorizing that the adjacent "interior" walls are actually double exterior walls.  That presumably would affect penetration and explain some of the challenges I described.  It's just something that a player needs to be aware of when planning an assault.

No I don't mean 'pre-made', so as I said you are wrong.

You are saying that when two buildings adjacent to each other, the wall between them is a single thickness wall?  Do you know if it is a thinner "interior-type" wall or the same thickness as an exterior wall?  

Am trying to figure out why using the Bradley's main gun on one wall doesn't not seem to affect an enemy behind a 2nd wall.  And why inf using TARGET has similar non-effect across 2 walls.  Or, is it as Bulletpoint said that in that situation the inf fire actually hits the floor of the first room and does not continue to hit the 2nd wall?  (That would explain things.)

1 minute ago, Combatintman said:

not all abutting buildings

Just trying to understand this...   You are saying that all pre-made buildings available in the editor have thinner interior walls?

But, when two buildings are placed adjacent, sometimes they have two exterior type walls adjacent and sometimes they do not?  

Have assumed that if one places two buildings adjacent that then they would all then have two exterior walls adjacent.  But if that's not correct, it would be helpful to know which multiroom buildings constructed by the designer do and which do not...  Or what the rule governing this is.

Going through one exterior wall and then two exterior walls adjacent would presumably make a significant difference to kinetic objects' penetration compared to going through one exterior wall, and then one thinner interior wall.