HQs Request Air Support in CMFB

I just noticed earlier this week that in CMFB almost all HQ units can request airstrikes.  Even the 81mm mortar platoon HQ.  In the other WWII titles you need an F/O to request air support.  I don't often use air in the WWII titles so I am a little rusty on the details.  I wonder if this was intentional?  Maybe by this point in WWII Platoon HQs were calling in airstrikes?  Not a grog so I don't know but it surprised me when I had a HQ unit selected and noticed the aircraft tab in the support panel was highlighted.

I looked it up in the v3.01 Engine Manual page 73 and it reads: WW2 air support will prowl the battlefield independently, without the player being able to command them.   

The CMFB Game Manual page 71 reads: Air support cannot be directed to attack specific targets.  Aircraft will roam the battlefield and attack targets of their choosing. 

This "roaming the battlefield" is only true in CMRT so no help from the Engine Manual or the Game Manual.  Any thoughts?

No idea what goes on behind the scenes at BF, but I'm guessing given the back and forth arguments that have been mentioned on these forums over the years, I'm guessing that a decision was made that the Western Front titles would allow the player to have more control of aircraft. Not sure why a simple mortar HQ can order them around however.

I personally fall into the camp of allowing more control for aircraft on at least the Western Front. Not suggesting it should be laser guided pin point accuracy by any means :D (I'd even support a move for limiting aircraft support to large area fire targets and by dedicated FACs/FO teams), but from the reading I do there was at least some concerted attempt by the Western Allies at this point of the war to have a communication line between ground forces and supporting aircraft.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The CMFB Game Manual page 71 reads: Air support cannot be directed to attack specific targets.  Aircraft will roam the battlefield and attack targets of their choosing. 

That's how it used to be in Red Thunder. Then in a patch, they reverted it back to the old system. I guess for the CMFB manual, they just copy/pasted a lot of old stuff.

" v3.10 GAME FEATURES

- Aircraft control returned to original method (observers have control) "

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=281&Itemid=516

Edited by Bulletpoint

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

That's how it used to be in Red Thunder. Then in a patch, they reverted it back to the old system. I guess for the CMFB manual, they just copy/pasted a lot of old stuff.

" v3.10 GAME FEATURES

- Aircraft control returned to original method (observers have control) "

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=281&Itemid=516

3 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Whoops. Missed that bit. :)

If I'm understanding the link correctly CMBN was switched for a short time to roving aircraft and then switched back to directed.  CMRT has always been roving.  CMFB is directed however it is directed down to the platoon level.  In CMBN, & CMFI you need a Forward Observer for aircraft.  Just wondering if this was intended realistic behavior for CMFB.   

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If I'm understanding the link correctly CMBN was switched for a short time to roving aircraft and then switched back to directed.  CMRT has always been roving.

Ah I see. Sorry to declarify it. I assumed that the same change had taken place in both games. I shouldn't post before I had my coffee.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ah I see. Sorry to declarify it. I assumed that the same change had taken place in both games. I shouldn't post before I had my coffee.

No problem my friend.  Thanks for going to the BFC website, looking into the matter and contributing to the conversation.   Besides, you are usually correct with what you post so we can probably let this one slide ................:D  

• 1 month later...

In CMFB v1.02 any US unit that can call in artillery can also call in airstrikes.  In CMBN and CMFI a Forward Observer is needed to call in airstrikes.  In CMFB the mortar platoon HQ and XO teams can even call for airstrikes.  I don't think this was intended (especially considering what BFC did with airstrikes in CMRT & attempted to do in CMBN) so a bug report was submitted.    

How it was done for real. A mere 295 pages (of 616) will get you through WW II! No. I haven't read it. Just found it and skimmed a few pages of martial juiciness.

Case Studies in Close Air Support

Edited by Benjamin Franklin Cooling

http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100924-035.pdf

There was a much shorter recent (and quite readable and approachable) study I cited quite some time back. The directly pertinent material starts on page 69. Read thos one cover to cover. Loved it.

Fire for Effect

Field Artillery and Close Air Support in the US Army
John J. McGrath

Combined Studies Institute Press

US Army Combined Arms Center

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/mcgrath_fire.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler