A few pointers ...

A UK Company group would typically have an FST (Fire Support Team) whose job is to call in all of the big bangy stuff like air, attack helicopters, guns and mortars and generally an FSG (Fire Support Group) which was effectively a heavy weapons 'slice' (so stuff like GMG and HMG) from Manoeuvre Support Company. If you buy a light infantry battalion the companies already come with an MFC (part of the FST) and an FSG. All you then need to do is purchase a FOO and a JTAC to get the remainder of your FST.

To get the TUM WMIK you set the equipment values to 'poor' which should give you TUM WMIKs in your FSG although it still seems to pick Jackals for Manoeuvre Support Company. At this time in Helmand - TUM WMIKs were still in use although about to be replaced by Jackals.

Edited by Combatintman

26 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

To get the TUM WMIK you set the equipment values to 'poor' which should give you TUM WMIKs in your FSG although it still seems to pick Jackals for Manoeuvre Support Company. At this time in Helmand - TUM WMIKs were still in use although about to be replaced by Jackals.

You were quite correct. The poor setting gave me Ervins beloved TUMs lol. I will adjust accordingly.

Just now, Combatintman said:

I wrote the TO&E so I should know ;)

Yea now the really sucky thing is when I change my pre existing Lt Inf Core unit to poor it doesnt let the TUMs become usable, which means that I have to buy the core unit all over again and re insert into every battle they were used......*sigh* Sometime I wonder if this campaign creation thing is worth it lol. But thanks for the input, it has proven valuable.

2 minutes ago, dragonwynn said:

Yea now the really sucky thing is when I change my pre existing Lt Inf Core unit to poor it doesnt let the TUMs become usable, which means that I have to buy the core unit all over again and re insert into every battle they were used......*sigh* Sometime I wonder if this campaign creation thing is worth it lol. But thanks for the input, it has proven valuable.

I feel your pain but appreciate your efforts to add content to the game - there are too few of us doing it sadly which was one of the reasons I kicked off my scenario design thread ... I'm not convinced it is achieving the desired effect though because some comments have been 'wow that is a lot of work'. However I will push on with it when I can (unfortunately RL is taking me pretty much off grid for a month or so).

Just now, Combatintman said:

I feel your pain but appreciate your efforts to add content to the game - there are too few of us doing it sadly which was one of the reasons I kicked off my scenario design thread ... I'm not convinced it is achieving the desired effect though because some comments have been 'wow that is a lot of work'. However I will push on with it when I can (unfortunately RL is taking me pretty much off grid for a month or so).

I understand completely. And I must say the tutorial is excellent as I have been following it intently. And for what it may be worth I will add credit to you and Erwin for your input into this campaign when I get it finalized. Several of my campaigns in CMBN (The Geilenkirchen Salient), CMRT (The Last Panzer, Rattenkrieg) and Black Sea (The Mountains of Allah) were done to show off the modded work that the many talented people who play these games are able to create. It just seemed an injustice to allow such good work to go by without being put to use.

So for you to take the time to put the effort into the tutorial is definately appreciated.

On another note have you had a chance to look at the maps in this campaign and see if I was any where near achieving the "environment" over there? Having been there your self I figure you would be a good judge. I watched a number of documentaries to just get a feel for the architecture and landscape but the CMSF editor is limited on map creation options. (I had to use a water mod to get the irrigation canals to look like something besides ditches).

Anyhow thanks again.

Michael

"...my scenario design thread ... I'm not convinced it is achieving the desired effect though because some comments have been 'wow that is a lot of work'. However I will push on with it when I can (unfortunately RL is taking me pretty much off grid for a month or so."

It's magnificent that you created such a detailed "how to" set of instructions.  Just like there are many talented people here who love to make mods, am sure that are those who will be inspired by your clearly written instructions to make scenarios and (hopefully) campaigns.

So, even tho' I am intimidated, am certain that thanks to your work there will be others who will give it a go.

BTW Dragon: Am playing your Mission #1 in Mountains of Allah right now.  I really only enjoy campaigns.  So, thank you for all your work.

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

"...my scenario design thread ... I'm not convinced it is achieving the desired effect though because some comments have been 'wow that is a lot of work'. However I will push on with it when I can (unfortunately RL is taking me pretty much off grid for a month or so."

It's magnificent that you created such a detailed "how to" set of instructions.  Just like there are many talented people here who love to make mods, am sure that are those who will be inspired by your clearly written instructions to make scenarios and (hopefully) campaigns.

So, even tho' I am intimidated, am certain that thanks to your work there will be others who will give it a go.

BTW Dragon: Am playing your Mission #1 in Mountains of Allah right now.  I really only enjoy campaigns.  So, thank you for all your work.

Erwin I have a updated . Cam file for that campaign. I will pm you the file. Use it instead of the one you started. It fixes a few issues and adds some additional elements in the first mission as well as some of the others. 

Should I restart Mountains mission #1?  Am only maybe 10 turns in, so wouldn't be a huge issue.

(PS:  I think I suck at playing the Russian in CMBS.  I didn't want to use preregistered fire at start as I couldn't see the trenches or exact locations of enemy units and the arty available hasn't sufficient ammo to waste.  But, after the first turn it still takes a min of 7-14 mins to get the big stuff.  And have already wasted maybe 20x81mm rounds just for spotting so far.  Depressing.  It seems I still have to mount costly human wave type assaults.)

58 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Should I restart Mountains mission #1?  Am only maybe 10 turns in, so wouldn't be a huge issue.

(PS:  I think I suck at playing the Russian in CMBS.  I didn't want to use preregistered fire at start as I couldn't see the trenches or exact locations of enemy units and the arty available hasn't sufficient ammo to waste.  But, after the first turn it still takes a min of 7-14 mins to get the big stuff.  And have already wasted maybe 20x81mm rounds just for spotting so far.  Depressing.  It seems I still have to mount costly human wave type assaults.)

Yes please do. Also you have some drone assets that may help with the spotting.

Ah, the version I am playing has 2 drones.  Also I think 8x 81mm and 1x120mm(?) and some helicopters as reinforcements.  Sounds like that is already the updated version and am still having issues attacking as the Russians.  :( 

It's not your fault.  The drones are wonderful to spot the enemy.  I just can't figure out how to get the arty working for me usefully.  I seem to be wasting many 81mm rounds on very inaccurate spotting salvos.  Coupled with the slow response times, I will be sending my guys in human waves like WW2 without much help from the arty.  (Maybe the problem is that I am trying to fight like this is CMSF and I am trying to be very careful to reduce friendly casualties.)  Am wondering if I should just hang back and wait for the helicopters and after the drones have spotted everything, and then have a mad 30 minutes at the end when everything moves.  (And yes, I should be posting all this on the CMBS area.)

18 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Erwin I have a updated . Cam file for that campaign. I will pm you the file. Use it instead of the one you started. It fixes a few issues and adds some additional elements in the first mission as well as some of the others. 

Ahhh, man, can I have that?  I mean I am about 4 missions in, so don't know if it will make a difference right now as I am plowing through, but I always like to have the latest version..you know...just in case I get my butt kicked and have to start over...   :blink:

4 minutes ago, grunt_GI said:

Ahhh, man, can I have that?  I mean I am about 4 missions in, so don't know if it will make a difference right now as I am plowing through, but I always like to have the latest version..you know...just in case I get my butt kicked and have to start over...   :blink:

I will PM it to you now my friend.

Ok here is a updated .cam file for this campaign. It adds or corrects the following:

1. Readjusted the VP parameters in all missions.  All red occupy objectives have been changed to touch objectives. This should correct the red occupy bug that enabled players to ceasefire to the next missions. Also adjusted some terrain objectives. Now you will have to get in there and root em out to get points.

2. Added some ammo resupply assets to some missions.

3. Added a entire revised British TOE (Thanks Combatintman and Erwin for valuable input here) that should be more realistic for the time frame.

4. Minor adjustments to AI.

5. Mission briefs have been changed to reflect the new adjustments.

6. Added some additional air and arty support assets in some missions as well as FO's and TACAIR where they were missing.

7. Nearly all missions now have extended time frames.

8. IED occurrances have been reduced but are still present.

Once again thanks to Erwin and Combatintman for their very valuable suggestions and input. I hope the changes will make the campaign more enjoyable.

For new downloaders download the main files here :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfc5316dglrf452/The Heart of Darkness.zip?dl=0

Place the mod folder into your dataz and delete the .cam file.

Download the new .cam file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqrzepffg8mx3lg/The Heart of Darkness Campaign.zip?dl=0

Place the unzipped .cam file into your campaign directory.

Michael

SO, finally got around to the first scenario...yea, I know.....wow talk about economy of force...WOWZA...I do love blowing stuff up with the demo charges.

My first opinion is THANKS for making those first two compounds touch objectives...what a maze there...

Small spoiler...just got through a little Charge of the Light Brigade to take out the recoilless rifle by the mosque...pesky little thing..took out one of my attack Jackals...dang it. 

Now the trick is to use my little band of pissed off Brits to finish the rest of the objectives without TOO many more casualties....

Nicely done...can't wait to try a scenario with a blend of Brit/American/ANSF forces...grabbed the latest CAM file, so we shall see...

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thanks for revealing that there is a recoilless rifle by the mosque.  :/

SORRYYY... :blink:

I did say small spoiler....don't worry, I'm sure there's more I missed....

@dragonwynn  Just really glad someone is still working good content for CMSF...I have played a couple of mixed force scenarios with ANSF...they are always challenging....

Edited by grunt_GI

• 1 month later...

So started the second mission (and now going to restart the second mission -_- as I am getting my ass totally kicked.).  

Wow, what a freakin' map.  I mean, wow, that map is going to be MUCH harder than I thought.  Clearly you have down your research, man, I would have HATED to be an infantry guy having to slog through that map.  Probably one of the finest and most challenging infantry maps I have seen in CMSF.

Anyway, this scenario will take a great deal of tactical finesse...not my strong suit.  Can't wait to see how I do against those PRESERVE STRUCTURE victory points as I just want to call in TACAIR and blast the hell out of everything.  :wacko:

Oyyy, back to the mission....

Thanks man  :D