Black Sea v1.04 released!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, IanL said:

@Chops is it possible you extracted only the setup .exe file and ran the install?  There are several files inside the .zip file you downloaded.  They all should be extracted to an clean otherwise empty folder before running the setup.

If that is not your problem then do what Steve suggested and open a help desk ticket.

Guys, the issue I posted above was User error.

The Installer did not find my CMBS directory because I have it located in a non-standard location.  I realized this, and manually directed the Installer to my CMBS folder structure.  However, I made a mistake in the folder path.  Therefore the Installer added another folder into my CMBS folder, which caused my game to crash.

I deleted the erroneous folder, and re-installed the patch into the correct location.  Everything works fine now.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Chops said:

Guys, the issue I posted above was User error.

The Installer did not find my CMBS directory because I have it located in a non-standard location.  I realized this, and manually directed the Installer to my CMBS folder structure.  However, I made a mistake in the folder path.  Therefore the Installer added another folder into my CMBS folder, which caused my game to crash.

I deleted the erroneous folder, and re-installed the patch into the correct location.  Everything works fine now.

Thank you.

Yes the installation seems to add a duplicate CMBS folder for some reason.  I noticed this way back with CMBN and have always deleted the extra folder in the path so it all installs properly.

Edited by Blazing 88's

10 hours ago, IanL said:

Changes to strings is the big one.  @MikeyD pointed out some changes in models that require mod art updates too. Yes, after you have the patch put them back after deleting anything that you know effects the afore mentioned items.

Honestly, and don't tell Steve :), I never remove the mods enmass.  I remove the ones that are known to cause problems (vins animated text mod) and install.  If something should turn out to be goofy then I move the mods aside and try again.

I do still remove them just for surety. It takes only a minute to do and you know immediately if your install is good.  For example I had edited the American names file to add a lot more names and have less repetition. Seems with the update though that file is no longer acceptable and I had to go back to default. It is on my list to tinker with and find out what is being objected to.  

3 minutes ago, Blazing 88's said:

Yes the installation seems to add a duplicate CMBS folder for some reason.  I noticed this way back with CMBN and have always deleted the extra folder in the path so it all installs properly.

Yeah this is actually something I ran into. The installer looks for a specific default location. If you have selected anything different you have to make sure the directory path is correct at the install window and edit if not. It only takes a moment, but if not expecting it and you click right through it will leave you scratching your head a bit.  Funny thing is I had never run into it before and I have been using this same drive setup for years. Minor nuisance, but something to be aware of. 

35 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

So should I re-apply the licensing key listed in my account?

Michael

Michael, that's what I did having had the same problem as you (see posts above).

Like your original post, I was a bit surprised to find a patch needing the serial number, but whereas before Steve's correction it wasn't accepted, after Steve's action it is still needed but my original key does now work ...

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I like it when you guys have a problem that I clearly know what is causing it AND I can fix it within a few minutes.  Don't we all wish every issue could play out like that?  Yes we do :D

Steve

Well, it's not fair if every delivery we bowl at you is a googly ... :P

56 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes, but see my follow up where I say that hings are now Shiny :)

Not the follow up that matters.

Michael still doesn't have a working version. That's the follow up that matters.

I won't mention that you released a patch that broke his game.

16 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Michael still doesn't have a working version. That's the follow up that matters.

????

The problem was already fixed before you made your first post ... see posts 2 and 3 above your first ...

8 minutes ago, DrDon said:

How do you specify the existing install location on Mac? I'm only getting an option to choose the disk, not the folder, and that's not enough for it to find the application (which is in /Games instead of /Applications).

Not much help to you (sorry!) as it doesn't provide a definite answer your question, but as a Mac user I've never felt the need to do other than let the games install in Applications ...

I start / run all of my (most common type of my play) PBEM games via Combat Mission Helper (CMH), and at other times via Launchpad ... so once set up I never need to "know" where the files are, nor keep them in a non-default location.

Also means that (apart from the *ahem* minor problem identified above with this specific patch ...) all of the install of patches, upgrades, modules etc all work fine automatically using the default location.

I don't know of any way to specify a different directory; you could try moving the existing version folders etc to Applications, apply the patch and then - if you must! - move it back to Games again?

I was hoping to avoid moving things back and forth, but it worked. I honestly don't remember having to do that for previous patches.

Requiring a specific application location is un-Mac-like. I mainly keep my games separate so I can exclude them from automated backups easily. MMOs especially are huge and update frequently, so you end up with many copies filling up your Time Capsule.

7 minutes ago, DrDon said:

I was hoping to avoid moving things back and forth, but it worked. I honestly don't remember having to do that for previous patches.

Requiring a specific application location is un-Mac-like. I mainly keep my games separate...

I used to do that, but found that installing patches etc. was a lot simpler and more straightforward if I kept them out in the Applications folder.

Michael

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

Like your original post, I was a bit surprised to find a patch needing the serial number, but whereas before Steve's correction it wasn't accepted, after Steve's action it is still needed but my original key does now work ...

Okay, thanks. I tried that and everything now seems copacetic. One oddity: at one point a radio message was in Russian. I'll watch to see if it happens again.

Michael

5 hours ago, Jammersix said:

No, the follow up that mattered is where I said the problem was a silly one on our end and it was fixed.  Even for Michael.

5 hours ago, Jammersix said:

Which is a good thing, because then you'd look rather foolish since we didn't release a patch that broke the game.

The full story is that we changed the specific DRM wrapper for the app (Mac) and EXE (PC).  The new wrapper allows a customer to purchase a CM product and have one code that is useful for both Mac and PC.  In the past it was one or the other.  This new functionality is useful to the many people that have a Mac laptop and a PC desktop. 

The reason it didn't work for the first few hours is that I had neglected to move the existing Mac license keys over to the new DRM wrapper database.  Once this error was pointed out it was addressed and now everything works just dandy.

I'm truly very, very sorry that we extended functionality to the games and added flexibility for people who have both Macs and PCs.  That was really inconsiderate of us.  We probably should refrain from that in the future.

Steve

11 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I'm truly very, very sorry that we extended functionality to the games and added flexibility for people who have both Macs and PCs.  That was really inconsiderate of us.  We probably should refrain from that in the future.

At least you guys are consistent.

9 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Okay, thanks. I tried that and everything now seems copacetic. One oddity: at one point a radio message was in Russian. I'll watch to see if it happens again.

Michael

Trust you! I couldn't NOT go and look up confirmation of what copacetic meant.

Learned my new word for the day, though ... :D

9 hours ago, DrDon said:

Requiring a specific application location is un-Mac-like. I mainly keep my games separate so I can exclude them from automated backups easily. MMOs especially are huge and update frequently, so you end up with many copies filling up your Time Capsule.

Glad you got it working.

I don't have your issue of wanting to exclude things from backups: but would it not be the work of a merely few more seconds to set up the backup exclusions by specifying the game / app folder names individually rather than by using your "Games folder" route? (Said humbly: it is of course your Mac and your choice!)

And FWIW, though I'm by no means a Mac expert, given that literally every application I have on my machine, both Apple and third-party made, is by default stored in Applications, and where applicable they are auto-updated there by their various helper routines, I'd always assumed that BF were following the dictates of the Mac OS to locate CM products there, and so target the updates there also, rather than it being BF's peculiarity to work to that default location?

No. That's one of the things he means by "un-Mac-like".

Mac lets us choose.

The example he gave, his "games" folder, is a perfect example. He likes his apps divided between games and whatever other divisions he has.

Macs let him do that.

There are MANY (MANY, did you catch that?) ways that the Combat Mission series (all of them) are un-Mac-like. More that we have bandwidth for, or I can remember to list. Everything from fonts and font sizes to key bindings to overriding OS notifications in full screen. So many ways that if I sat down and started a list, a week from now after concentrating on nothing else, taking careful notes, and playing for eight hours a day, I'd leave something out.

The Combat Mission series are absolutely, categorically, unmistakably a Windows game ported to the Mac by a team that thought Mac users wouldn't notice.

56 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

No. That's one of the things he means by "un-Mac-like".

Mac lets us choose.

The example he gave, his "games" folder, is a perfect example. He likes his apps divided between games and whatever other divisions he has.

Macs let him do that.

There are MANY (MANY, did you catch that?) ways that the Combat Mission series (all of them) are un-Mac-like. More that we have bandwidth for, or I can remember to list. Everything from fonts and font sizes to key bindings to overriding OS notifications in full screen. So many ways that if I sat down and started a list, a week from now after concentrating on nothing else, taking careful notes, and playing for eight hours a day, I'd leave something out.

The Combat Mission series are absolutely, categorically, unmistakably a Windows game ported to the Mac by a team that thought Mac users wouldn't notice.

Do you always speak to people as though you think they are six years old ??