A Brutal! DAR

HerrTom

8 hours ago, TJT said:

Aww, dang and I was just going to write I was looking forward to see the map :(

Maybe upload the file and see if someone esle can salvage the map itself?

Yeah, I was pretty happy with how it was going.  Can't hurt to upload it.  If anyone can fix it, I'd for sure be grateful.

In the meantime I'm working on a real terrain on E97 heading out of Crimea.  4 km x 2 km with one bridge across the canal... it'd also be an interesting one for sure.  I'm also playing with making tank foxholes or whatever you call them.  Maybe more on those while I'm waiting for my buddy to send me his turn.

90PY6og.png

Highway.btt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0918-0920

Now 100% more bandwidth-friendly! I figured out how to link through images, so click on them to go to the high-resolution one.  The displayed ones are half resolution "thumbnails."

jLbog36h.png

The mortar barrage on the housing complex begins.  I don't envy those men in their foxholes.  Bits of building are being strewn about as shells land on roofs and trees shatter into deadly shrapnel.

5kzsY7Th.png

Another BTR!  One of Sheverin's MTLB's comes under fire.  AP-I bullets explode on its armour. Though none are able to penetrate, the crew is understandably shaken and pull back into cover.

GRewb3lh.png

If we've learned one thing in this engagement, it's that BTRs are nothing to scoff at, especially with these MTLBs that are only useful for blowing up buildings.  The battalion's tank moves past the gas station to put an end to the BTR's threat.

dKMOoaMh.png

One of Aushev's squads moves forwards to get a better angle on the defenders in the housing block.  The rest of the platoon provide cover in addition to Chaikin's tanks.

WWOCNy3h.png

1st platoon, 2nd company fires on an RPG team in the housing complex.

35P76q2h.png

2nd company is in position and ready to assault across the river.

This brings us back to the plan.

8vato2Ch.png

The artillery barrage is scheduled to stop in the next minute.  This means time to rock and roll.  2nd company will roll out.  Sheverin's 3rd platoon in the north will advance under cover of smoke and fire from the platoon elements and the attached tank.  A similar maneouvre will accompany 1st and 2nd platoon's assault across the river.  They will unload once they're clear of the water, and the infantry teams will move to take positions to engage enemies.  The APCs will move up as needed to provide heavy fire support.

Additionally, the Razvedka team has moved on its own to a position with a shot from their singular remaining RPG-26 on the BTR in the farming complex.  I'm going to let them take it.  Godspeed!

Edit:
@IanL that's pretty much what I've done, except mine are 1 action square wide.  Channels make the ditch edges, +1 and +2, and the ditch is -1 inside. Even the way I've done them, they still look a little too wide to me.

Thanks JohnO!

Especially thank you to @TJT for trying!  I wonder what caused it...

Edited by HerrTom

0921-0922

I'm getting reports that Ukrainian troops are laying down their arms and surrendering to 2nd Company.  These reports are scattered at best and need to be confirmed.

fvM9C1oh.png

Artillery continues to fall on the city, airbursts sending shrapnel onto the enemy from above.

7uBTnL8h.png

2nd company makes its river crossing behind a smoke screen covering them from the housing complex.

luxv8cGh.png

A couple of APCs bog down, but are quickly able to power their way through the mud to the opposite bank.

bv1t849h.png

They quickly dismount and take positions to fire upon the entrenched defenders.  So far, the assault has received minimal enemy fire.

Q5lRHSmh.png

Sheverin's platoon engages and destroys the last known BTR in the city.

fMl4bR0h.png

Nechaev's platoon rushes across the highway to reach its ready position for the full assault.

XieRvKvh.png

Byvshikh manages to land an RPG-26 round on the BTR, knocking its crew out.

Y8AXDnrh.png

Here's the situation as it stands now.  I'm ready to assault, but if the defenders are indeed surrendering, it won't be necessary.

EDIT: Turns out the surrender was a false alarm!  Now everyone gets to enjoy some blood!

more-blood-for-the-blood-god.png

Edited by HerrTom

Well, looks like Ukrainian forces really did surrender!  It was a bloody, perhaps even brutal fight!  I applaud my opponent in giving me such a hard time in a scenario that wasn't designed for balance or head to head play!

0923-0924

pfvHmk4h.png

Sheverin's platoon advances to the bridge, under cover from their attached T-72 (seen in the left hand background).

CaMkJsZh.png

More of Shaverin's platoon moves to the riverbank.

7r9mTffh.png

Nechaev's MTLBs destroy a machinegun position that's been taking pot shots at the Razvedka for the past twenty minutes.

lpiHWIuh.png

Nasonov takes cover in tall bushes along E50 as sporadic fire from the town comes their way.

A4kjrGrh.png

One of Aushev's APCs engages a machine gun covering 2nd Company's river crossing.

LcxaULah.png

Part of Nasonov's platoon advances along the riverbank, covered from the housing complex by a tall berm.

Upon seeing this awesome display of firepower, the Ukrainian commander gave the order to abandon the city, leaving it to the damaged Russian battalion.

mKdct94.png

I ended up doing a lot better than I thought I was.  I didn't think any of my massed fire managed to hit much, but the opposite appears to be true.  My suppression fire, and especially the fire support from the tanks of 4th platoon, managed to cause some severe damage to the enemy.

bvHmtez.png

The situation at the end.  It appears the Ukrainians expended most of their antitank weaponry and many of their squads are shorthanded, including many walking wounded.  My fear of enemy positions on the western side of the river appears to have been unfounded.

I'm disappointed that my initial bombardment of the central office buildings didn't take out his FO. That probably would have saved me at least ten casualties from his deadly accurate artillery fire that hit me a few times during the game.

Overall, a fun and challenging game.  Keep your eyes peeled for our next game, and thank you everyone for the encouragement and kind words during this DAR!

This was a very engaging DAR. I've been lurking this thread since day 1 and guess what, I'm very glad I followed it. The screenshots were pretty awesome too, with their effects giving them a rather gloomy atmosphere quite fitting for this scenario.

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to your next piece of art. :) 

17 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I ended up doing a lot better than I thought I was.  I didn't think any of my massed fire managed to hit much, but the opposite appears to be true.  My suppression fire, and especially the fire support from the tanks of 4th platoon, managed to cause some severe damage to the enemy.

That highlights one of the best things about this game IMHO.  Because of the FOW you can think things are going badly or at least not according to plan but you have no idea what the other side is dealing with. 

2 hours ago, Abdolmartin said:

This was a very engaging DAR. I've been lurking this thread since day 1 and guess what, I'm very glad I followed it. The screenshots were pretty awesome too, with their effects giving them a rather gloomy atmosphere quite fitting for this scenario.

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to your next piece of art. :) 

+1

Love those icons BTW ;)

19 hours ago, HerrTom said:

bvHmtez.png

The situation at the end.  It appears the Ukrainians expended most of their antitank weaponry and many of their squads are shorthanded, including many walking wounded.  My fear of enemy positions on the western side of the river appears to have been unfounded.

I'm disappointed that my initial bombardment of the central office buildings didn't take out his FO. That probably would have saved me at least ten casualties from his deadly accurate artillery fire that hit me a few times during the game.

Overall, a fun and challenging game.  Keep your eyes peeled for our next game, and thank you everyone for the encouragement and kind words during this DAR!

I wonder what it would have been like if the fighting had continued inside the city, with infantry teams fighting it out house to house.   

Nice DAR.  I look forward to the next one. 

I've finished the map and scenario to an acceptable level and sent it off to my buddy.  I guess that means a new thread is imminent!  I'm going to create a nice Soviet-style map of the new scenario as soon as I can so we can have beautifully clear information from the beginning, and plan on having more video.  Hopefully.  The map is pretty big and recording may bring my computer to its knees.  (Odd, though.  Wouldn't expect it with an i7 and 970M)

10 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I've finished the map and scenario to an acceptable level and sent it off to my buddy.  I guess that means a new thread is imminent!  I'm going to create a nice Soviet-style map of the new scenario as soon as I can so we can have beautifully clear information from the beginning, and plan on having more video.  Hopefully.  The map is pretty big and recording may bring my computer to its knees.  (Odd, though.  Wouldn't expect it with an i7 and 970M)

Perhaps this scenario/map can be made available for download? Hint hint.

3 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

Perhaps this scenario/map can be made available for download? Hint hint.

It will be.  I have to do the Ukrainian briefing and fix some errors I made in the Russian images, then decide whether or not I want to even bother with the AI.  Once that's all done, I'll release it.