Editor question: removed haystack turns into brush

I have a question for those among us who have experience with making maps. While experimenting I did place a number of haystacks on a field with crops. I've decided to remove them again, but while the haystacks can be removed, some kind of brush remains. I've tried placing the crop over it again, but it still turns up. Has anyone ever experienced this and how can I solve it?

Thank for your help, guys. I've removed all foliage and changed the tiles into pavement and back to crop again, but the brush keeps turning up (even THROUGH the pavement). :)

I'm pretty sure this is some kind of error in the editor itself. it's not a big thing, but perhaps something BF should look at.

PM sent, Ian. I´ve noticed that it also happens on other spots on the map, where I´ve removed haystacks. Small brush stays behind. You can even see the dark spots of the removed haystacks if you look at the map from above. So apart from the remaining brush, also dark spots where the removed haystacks stood.

Edited by Aragorn2002

The Brush terrain object is painted over other terrain in an action spot, therefore whatever the underlying terrain is the Brush will always remain.  In order to remove Brush you have to go into the Brush section of the map terrain.  When looking in the 2D editor you will see Ground 1, Ground 2, Ground 3, Brush, Foliage, etc.  Choose the red X in the Brush section and paint over the brushy parts of the map to eliminate it. 

My first question when reading this thread would be - Aragorn, are you building this map from scratch or are you using a previously created map and simply modifying it?  If you are using a previously created map then Brush tiles can be hard to see depending upon what the underlying terrain is.  The best place to spot it would be in the 2D map editor section as pointed out above, although even there it can be difficult to spot on occasion because it only shows up as little spots on an action square.  If you are having difficulty spotting the brush in the 2D map editor, just use the maximum sized paint brush, select the red X under the brush section, and paint over the entire map to eliminate it.

Flavor objects don't leave any 'residual' presence on the map.  Flavor objects are an entirely separate item from the terrain mesh and have nothing to do with whatever the underlying terrain is.

23 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

The Brush terrain object is painted over other terrain in an action spot, therefore whatever the underlying terrain is the Brush will always remain.  In order to remove Brush you have to go into the Brush section of the map terrain.  When looking in the 2D editor you will see Ground 1, Ground 2, Ground 3, Brush, Foliage, etc.  Choose the red X in the Brush section and paint over the brushy parts of the map to eliminate it. 

My first question when reading this thread would be - Aragorn, are you building this map from scratch or are you using a previously created map and simply modifying it?  If you are using a previously created map then Brush tiles can be hard to see depending upon what the underlying terrain is.  The best place to spot it would be in the 2D map editor section as pointed out above, although even there it can be difficult to spot on occasion because it only shows up as little spots on an action square.  If you are having difficulty spotting the brush in the 2D map editor, just use the maximum sized paint brush, select the red X under the brush section, and paint over the entire map to eliminate it.

Flavor objects don't leave any 'residual' presence on the map.  Flavor objects are an entirely separate item from the terrain mesh and have nothing to do with whatever the underlying terrain is.

ASL Veteran. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm building a map from scratch, but changed some parts of it. I've tried as you suggested, but no succes.

Would you be willing to PM me your email-adress, so I can send you the map to have a look at it yourself?

I saw the same thing while building 'Lions of Carpiquet' in CMBN. When you delete a haystack it can leave one doodad of brush where the haystack used to be. I noticed it on ploughed field ground tile. It does not turn the whole action square into brush. I think you can reset the ground tile by brushing the affected area with a different ground tile or use the brush tile and then change it back again to what it is meant to be. (Sorry it's been a while).

9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

ASL Veteran. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm building a map from scratch, but changed some parts of it. I've tried as you suggested, but no succes.

Would you be willing to PM me your email-adress, so I can send you the map to have a look at it yourself?

If you sent the file to Ian then I am confident that he can find any bugs that may be present. 

Cool - looks like a bug.  I actually see the grass tuft doodad even after adding haystacks.  When you delete the hay stacks the doodads stay. Exiting and reentering 3D preview moved them around some too.  Repainting terrain does not stamp them out and since they are not flavour objects they aren't delete-able.  They are just there.

I have not tried any other titles or other flavour objects.

A sampling of haystacks (note the dark tufts are already there - back left and front centre):

CM Red Thunder 2016-10-17 23-34-52-10.jpg

After deleting all the haystacks:

CM Red Thunder 2016-10-17 23-35-59-47.jpg

Next time into the 3D editor:

CM Red Thunder 2016-10-17 23-36-20-81.jpg

7 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I saw the same thing while building 'Lions of Carpiquet' in CMBN. When you delete a haystack it can leave one doodad of brush where the haystack used to be. I noticed it on ploughed field ground tile. It does not turn the whole action square into brush. I think you can reset the ground tile by brushing the affected area with a different ground tile or use the brush tile and then change it back again to what it is meant to be. (Sorry it's been a while).

Ithikial_AU. Thank you for your reply. Believe me I've tried everything apart from Voodoo, but the brush is there to stay. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002