The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

'I stole a plane to get out of the Navy'

"So I started the engine, switched the radio on and the control tower started asking who I was, what I was doing. I didn't answer. I taxied and then…"
He rubs his hands together theatrically and shows me his open palms like a magician delighting in performing an elaborate disappearing trick.
"And then…. I was gone."

_108886924_cockpitpic_976650.jpg

Wicky,

Truly outstanding story and a terrific find! Just got through posting it to FB, too.

While rooting around the same site, I saw a bunch of Nutella stories. Thought the one on last year's Nutella riots was interesting and weird enough to share. Here in the US, we have similar and worse scenes on Black Friday, the Barney's sale and other competitive retail activities.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42826028

Regards,

John Kettler

Erwin,

Thought you were referring to what was in. the back of the first video. On an unrelated note...

Have always loved to watch ladies pole dance, but I guarantee you (unless you watch the AUS edition of a certain show) you've not seen the likes of this, and it's "G" rated, too. wildly innovative!

These women violated one of the mugging survival rules, but just watch how they turned things around and gives instant karma a super high gloss in the process.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

This isn't a news item, but I believe it does deserve presentation as a kind of news and definitely unusual at that. Found this on the TooFatLardies Forum. TFL is the firm which makes CoC. In a thread discussing USMC WW II organization, one John de terre neuve (his handle) said this:

"As I read English and Classics in the university as a young man, spelling has long fascinated me. The use of "s" vs "z" is really one of the more interesting areas. Here is the grammarist's analysis, he actually has a section on organize vs organize but the one on realize is more expansive:

Realise and realize are different spellings of the same word, and both are used to varying degrees throughout the English-speaking world. Realize is the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English, and realise is preferred outside North America. The spelling distinction extends to all derivatives of the verb, including realised/realized, realising/realizing, and realisation/realization.

Although realize is now regarded by many in the U.K. and Australasia as the American spelling, it is not an Americanism. In fact, the -ize spelling variant is older than –ise—realize predates the United States and Canada by nearly two centuries—and has been the preferred spelling throughout most of the word’s history in English. If we can believe the ngram below, which graphs the use of realize and realise in British books and journals published between 1800 and 2000, realise had a brief ascendancy in British English from the late 19th century through the early 20th, but realize was preferred before around 1875 and is again preferred today—perhaps because of the influence of dictionaries like Oxford, Cambridge, and Collins, which encourage -ize over -ise. But the British preference for realize is not in evidence when we search for the two spellings in 21st-century British news publications, where realise is about ten times as common as realize. We have trouble explaining this, but perhaps it’s simply that a few influential British news organizations have collectively adopted the newer spelling, while most of the publishers of books and journals (including prestigious British scientific periodicals such as Nature and The Lancet) in Google’s Books index have kept –ize. The favoring of -ise may also have something to do with a decline in classical education; with Latin and Greek no longer mainstays of British schooling, their influence on English is weakening (-ize has its origins in Ancient Greek).1

As the –ise spelling grows in popularity, realize is increasingly associated with North American writing, giving rise to the belief that it is an Americanism and hence to be avoided. There is no doubt, however, that both -ize and -ise are acceptable in British, Australian and New Zealand English, and writers in those varieties should not feel obliged to shun -ize, nor should they abandon -ise if they prefer it. The caveat on this advice is the -ize suffix does risk distracting non-American readers with what is (mistakenly) perceived to be a Americanism.

Whichever suffix you use, it is wise to use that one consistently throughout any given text. Note too that, for etymological reasons, some words are never spelled with a z in any variety of English, e.g. surmise, improvisation, televise, surprise, etc.

So I actually believe you are quite wrong that in your statement: I won't even try to explain to yet another American that 'organisation' is spelled with an 's'. . Spelling "organization" without a "z" is actually not an Americanism."

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

"Man bites dog!" was supposed to be an unusual news story back when, but I've got one that beats that hands down. After reading it, I think you'll agree it's a good thing there was no video. Not even Hollywood could've come up with this stupid mixed with high weirdness combo.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/weird/louisiana-grosse-tete-camel-sits-on-woman-tiger-truck-stop/67-99dec376-dbd1-4bbb-824e-08077cb2656b?fbclid=IwAR3tm8KBzOxf0m_TxBoX17R1zk3kvZBW6xlMguQ5mOdr-FDYesnK-2kZ1C8

Regards,

John Kettler

Erwin,

Not sure what, if there's anything I can do, to solve the problem you described. I know we have people not on FB who can't see what's tied to those links.

Sgt.Squarehead,

Truly impressive ruination of an ICV! While it didn't disintegrate the way the Hummer did after its parachute was sabotaged, am pretty sure that, other than cannibalizing useful parts, these shattered AFV should probably either become range targets or be recycled.

Regards,

John Kettler

When she said she hated being hugged, she meant it!

tumblr_pmku5pnf811vf6cda_1280.jpg

Taking down doors, in situations where the bad guys are likely armed to the teeth on the other side is serious and potentially fatal business, but notice how these guys lightened up things. Speaking of smilies, decades back a friend of mine who had a wicked sense of humor carved them onto .357 Magnum bullets. He was pretty gleeful until I pointedly opined on how bad this would look were he ever involved in a self-defense shooting!

9cfb88981ef17933cee4bddd35f33de75c7fbfa7

This made me absolutely gag.Call it Barbie's home defense system. I feel embarrassed for the poor shotgun!

tumblr_mwh3rbwC3y1r1my29o1_1280.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Truly impressive ruination of an ICV! While it didn't disintegrate the way the Hummer did after its parachute was sabotaged, am pretty sure that, other than cannibalizing useful parts, these shattered AFV should probably either become range targets or be recycled.

That BMD has a great future in (or around) fizzy beverages.  ;)

This one's weird, funny and true. There is such a sign (verified it through several different sites), and most Aussies don't understand why it's funny, because they use a different worse for the part which makes it funny to us here in the US. How's that for navigating the Mod rapids?! The little blue sign shows the name of the big sign's owning firm.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

20 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Don't recall the name of the football player, but there used to be a guy who'd do a Fosbury flop to get into the end zone. But get a load of this. He even stuck the landing!

tumblr_mjrntcMMh01rje6l4o1_250.gif

Regards,

John Kettler

Don't know if that has a name John, but it's not a Fosbury flop which is a different high jump technique.