The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

• 2 weeks later...

In looking at the latest offerings for ProjectFreeTV one night, I came across a show with a provocative name. I thought it was a typo, but it wasn't. Usual disclaimers apply.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/bong-appetit-tv

Cannabis infused gourmet meals! In light (or maybe chill) of this, I must congratulate the show's creatosr on their cleverness with the title.

Regards,

John Kettler

And today's entry is to this shocking video I just found, but was posted at the end of 2015.

And how can I top that? Try Ayatollah Khomeini's excruciatingly detailed rules regarding, so help me, who may or may not dine upon a chicken a person previously used for sex!  Those are in the remarkable, moving and thought provoking Teaching Lolita in Tehran. Shall leave it to the rest of you to decide whether this is worse or better than Portnoy's liver.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Sgt.Squarehead,

Phenomenal--in several meanings and levels of understanding! This ought to be required viewing for anyone involved in shooting small arms or interested in/involved with weapon terminal effects, including military history buffs who can learn a great deal from this amazing video compilation. I wish there'd been some partial penetrations and bulge with spall from the AP projectiles, and I want to know more regarding what appeared to be some sort of bullet disruptor using KE which was shown briefly. 

In other news...

Flip out over Flippy! It's a highly specialized restaurant industry bot and takes a whole five minutes to install.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/03/09/genius-burger-flipping-robot-replaces-humans-first-day-work/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Ditto on the never wanting to encounter. I grew up in the Southern US where we had an abundance of insect critters, but for the most part they didn't cross the line beyond seriously annoying. Compared to some of the truly horrendous specimens that inhabit the true tropics, they were I suppose relatively innocuous, though I wouldn't have described them as such and would not do so now. We had monster cockroaches, june bugs, honeymoon bugs, flies, mosquitos, fire ants, and many, many more. Living in the PNW as I do now, I am just as happy to avoid most of those.

Michael

Sgt.Squarehead,

Don't know how you found that, but thanks!  Very cool.

Guys,

And for my contribution...  In trying to learn where shows like "Bones" get their corpses and components thereof, my search kicked up this. Suggest you not mix reading the below with a meal.

http://www.horror.land/films-that-used-real-bodies/

Have also uncovered (verb choice deliberate) a site called DapperCadaver, which has bodies and components in various unpleasant states, together with a claim these props have been "featured on top crime shows and thrillers.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Serious Overkill

In a rather unusual show of force, a U.S. ally shot down a small quadcopter drone using a Patriot missile, according to Gen. David Perkins, speaking at the Association of the United States Army’s Global Force symposium. And it wasn’t a drill. “We have a very close ally of ours that was dealing with an adversary using small quadcopter [unmanned aircraft systems],” Perkins said. “They shot it down with a Patriot missile.”

https://futurism.com/a-country-just-used-a-patriot-missile-to-take-down-a-200-drone/

Was having loads of trouble on YT, so headed over to LL to see whether it was a connectivity issue here, as opposed to a YT issue. Seems to be the latter. In any event, I found this on LL. Must say it made me yearn to participate. Pretty sure these guys won't ever develop a work related (or maybe any other causation) ulcer.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa9_1489789903

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

BletchleyGeek,

That's quite a story, but it neatly illustrates the adage: "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything tends to look like a nail." Would be helpful if we could learn how high the drone was flying.  Since I don't see how it could possibly exceed their, um, service ceiling, Dutch ant-drone eagles may be just the thing for such problem, not to mention being dirt cheap by comparison!

Guys,

Believe this may the winner for today's posts here. Strongly suggest you not be drinking or eating while watching!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

For decades now, I've been reading about the famous/notorious rebel yell from the American Civil War, something so iconic Rod Stewart directly mentioned it in the lyrics of his song "White Wedding." Evidently, the way it's been consistently portrayed in film has been flat out wrong. Listen to this, and imagine it coming from thousands of Confederate soldiers at once!

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd6_1489259826

Regards,

John Kettler

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Michael Emrys said:

The Hubble has definitely earned its keep. It was criminal negligence that led to its poor performance initially, but the repair, although costly and difficult, was absolutely worth the effort.

Michael

I think the Hubble Deep Field Survey did more to alter our perception of the universe than anything following the discovery of the spherical earth.

Here's something cool, I don't know if I posted this around here before. Who knew gasoline could be so interesting?

Among other things, of course: