The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

When did the term "United Kingdom" enter normal lexicon?

Wikipedia has this to say:

The 1707 Acts of Union declared that the kingdoms of England and Scotland were "United into One Kingdom by the Name of Great Britain".[37][38][note 13] The term "United Kingdom" has occasionally been used as a description for the former kingdom of Great Britain, although its official name from 1707 to 1800 was simply "Great Britain".[39][40][41][42][43] The Acts of Union 1800 united the kingdom of Great Britain and the kingdom of Ireland in 1801, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Following the partition of Ireland and the independence of the Irish Free State in 1922, which left Northern Ireland as the only part of the island of Ireland within the United Kingdom, the name was changed to the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".[44]

I agree with you, Erwin, about GB being the more common usage prior to about 1960 here in the States. Remember "the British Invasion"? Also interesting is that prior to somewhere to about the middle of the 18th. Century the whole caboodle was called simply 'England', a practice that was still common until quite recently in many quarters.

Michael

Many of you will have heard of Elvis Presley's favorite sandwich, which was peanut butter, banana and bacon, but this is sort of a fine dining version--minus the lethal to many peanuts but swapping in the also lethal eggs. Suspect this is from a 50s or 60s recipe set. 

tumblr_pg2y0tAYFC1t3f01n_1280.jpg

Ants were one thing, but this was just too much.

tumblr_p8uzd7kAzt1u29d97o1_500.jpg

Imagine encountering this when delivering pizza! How many stuffies were blinded or died to do his?

tumblr_p96r3dGonG1u29d97o1_400.gif

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Anytime one wants to be depressed about the financial system and one's future fate when "life as we know it" melts down and we're all serfs or nomads - similar to "Road Warrior" - Max Keiser is your "go to" guy.

Mind you he and his guests have been predicting the end of our financial system now for many years, and they all seem stunned that the melt down hasn't already happened.  Also, he and his guests are always pushing gold and bit coin, so I do get a bit suspicious.  Has he ever had a guest who poo poo''d digital currency or gold?

And of course they are on that bastion of truth and accuracy, RT, and Russia's economy actually is in trouble.  But, Max is great to watch.  I think Stacy has more sense.  It would be more compelling if it were  her show actually.

Too bad Jay Leno retired. These dunderheads would've been shoo-ins for his Stupid Criminals segment on The Tonight Show. Here in the States, teens have gone down for videoing themselves smashing mailboxes or shooting people with BBs, but this is another level altogether of stupid, and the lengthy prison sentences reflect it.

In other news, what looks like Photoshopped near disaster is actually normal at a tiny airport on a Greek island. Speaking as someone who once was at the landing end of LAX pre-9/11 and was overflown by a landing airliner at much greater altitude, am surprised the jet blast doesn't simply flatten people, for what I experienced definitely blew hard on me. Here, it's practically sitting on them!

Anyone for flying ants so numerous they are trackable as rain on weather radar? Charles Fort would've loved this!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/billions-flying-ants-swarming-over-18332820

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

In other news, what looks like Photoshopped near disaster is actually normal at a tiny airport on a Greek island. Speaking as someone who once was at the landing end of LAX pre-9/11 and was overflown by a landing airliner at much greater altitude, am surprised the jet blast doesn't simply flatten people, for what I experienced definitely blew hard on me. Here, it's practically sitting on them!

In the last few years I've come across a couple of similar films of the same kind of thing at a beach airport somewhere in the Caribbean where it plays to even larger crowds.

Michael

This Australian theatrical stage manager has a remarkable sideline business which exploded. Miniatures!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-15/adelaide-miniature-designer-makes-huge-statement-on-global-stage/11300032?fbclid=IwAR2lykFdXYyR_9AQfBUqNoZj0jOfxyeYUk1myKaPf-xUa_lDDTbN0d-PvY

Griping about a Growler? You would, too, if $120 million (AUS or US) of a new super capable Electronic Warfare aircraft you just bought went up in smoke.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-19/adf-cannot-confirm-us-will-compensate-raaf-for-faulty-engines/11323860

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

This looks like some sort of master jeweler project, obviously based on the 1921 silver dollar.

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pgqr1imkUY1r868el_480.mp4

After seeing this, Cinderella has filed suit against Disney, painfully noting "It's pretty bad when a real carriage is nicer than that pathetic carriage they stuck me with! Since that would be a disaster for Disney if placed before a jury, and Cinderella might exercise the separation clause in her contract, renewal due soon, Disney is expected to settle and for quite a chunk of change. Believe this carriage below may be Marie Antoinette's, but there was no caption.

tumblr_pq6u585lH01uaqg2lo1_500.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

On July 17th, I posted about huge clouds of flying ants in the UK and how they were so numerous they could be tracked by weather radar. Gusss what? Inside Edition just ran a piece on something similar, except it's Las Vegas and grasshoppers. Apparently, the reason for the astronomic of also trackable hordes of them is that the combination of rain and high heat caused in explosion in their population, but why Las Vegas? It's not like having vast wheat fields to feast on. Turns out they are drawn the the cities vast amount of light at night, to the point where many hotels have killed a lot of the bug attracting lighting. So numerous are these insects that they're flying into people's mouths, cover the sidewalk and more. Tourism has been badly affected, because people just can't handle it. This grasshopper invasion is expected to last a week.

Regards,

John Kettler