The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Always wanted to try that sort of modeling.  Looks very relaxing and meditative.  Loved miniatures back in the day and am a wannabe RR modeler at heart.  But who has time these days?  And computer sims/wargames like CM series (and RR sim games) are so good and convenient, it's just easier to play those - esp since one of the biggest problems for cardboard wargames was finding oppos (outside of a few conventions).  

Now that we have Amateur Hour out of the way, let me show you a DIORAMA. I used all caps to differentiate it from both this and the Gallipoli piece.

https://mymodernmet.com/scale-model-ancient-rome/?fbclid=IwAR22Hbm6E6gKcKFv0eB-8oTnY2QbMkDvh5y4FKQqHO_HoBIFF7PGck7sip4

Here's a more recent digital reconstruction. Mind, this is not the Rome most of us know, but is much later.

https://sputniknews.com/art_living/201603051035839184-ancient-rome-video/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

She was so mad at him...

tumblr_pn3jm4xjCP1rv2gzh_1280.gif

Have always been fascinated with secret rooms and such. Here's the first pic I've ever seen of the secret stairs necessary to get there. This is in a Victorian house. A trifle awkward to navigate a servant there, I expect, 

tumblr_pk2uw7vfBw1vx1np0o1_1280.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I was working inside a house near mass ave and boylston st in Boston a year ago and found a secret stairway behind a book case and tiny room.  The owners had no clue.

All I can think of is bootlegging during the Prohibition or underground railroad (the building is that old)

I gotta see if I can find the pictures on an old phone.  Id never actually encountered anything like it.

'Priest-Holes' are fairly common in houses of a certain size & vintage in the UK (mostly England):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_hole

Later houses (like the Victorian example above) tended to have them mostly as a novelty.  I'm familiar with houses in both categories within about a five mile radius.

Our previous home had an underground ice-house (IIRC the house was built with the proceeds of the Crimean War and sold to a fishmonger) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_house_(building

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 3/7/2019 at 1:09 PM, danfrodo said:

whoa, that's super cool! 

It is thanks. Idk if I can find the pics. Tbis wasnt a novelty it was REALLY well hidden and I only found it because I was literally working in the empty apartment and had the run of the empty place.  Ive never seen the stereotype staircase behind a bookcase(it swung didnt slide)

I knoe the street adress my next option is googling the adress amd seeing if anyone else ever got a pic

(If you know boston its paralell to mass ave by berklee college of music, 1 block to the side of mass ave on the fenway park side, the first old buildings by the parking garage)

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, Sublime said:

(If you know boston its paralell to mass ave by berklee college of music, 1 block to the side of mass ave on the fenway park side, the first old buildings by the parking garage)

Wandering the back alleys of Boston reveals all sorts of interesting things:

Ive seen this before ripper. thanks The guys nuts his other vids are better. he sits on top of some skyscrapers with on protection legs dangling. He took that in cambridve at the central sq station.  You can easily hope onto the tracks and run down

when I was homeless like 15 years ago some homeless punk rocker kids who hung in harvard square invited me to their squat. their squat was a vintage 40s train station with booths and everything left like it had closed a few months before.  absolutely pitch black but with flashlights - there was also a surprising amount of actual debris from that ti,e, period around - again probably because it was so dark.

Basically it was crazy and I only stayed a few times - the last time I had to push into these little small cubby holes the subways have that are tiny to squeeze into for an emergency if a train comes.  your safe but a subway train passing inches frm you and the vacuum actually noticeably pulling you out is enough to scare me away

still theyd wait till almost the last train, when noone was around  on the inbound platform at harvard square theyd jump onto the subway tracks and run down the tracks.  after a few hundred feet the old traiin stations there. Therees a staggering amount of underground tunnels etc in Boston.

NYC makes it look like small potatoes though - I recommend you look up the mole people of NYC

edit in the pic of the vid you can see the cubbies  i refer to. see the holes in the wall. thats so u can squeeze in and not get ran over. That tunnel if its the vid I think IIS NOT abanadoned.  They often just move stops but use the same tracks. If you pay close enough attention and stare into blackness you occassionally will see a flash of an old disused train station just sitting underground sealed off like a time capsule.

still remember being at the old harvard t office and finding tokens from the 40s, and literrally an old scrap of moldy newspaper from the early 50s

Edited by Sublime

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

If you pay close enough attention and stare into blackness you occassionally will see a flash of an old disused train station just sitting underground sealed off like a time capsule.

When I was a kid, I used to sit right up close to the window on the T specifically to look down the older tunnels.

6 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

When I was a kid, I used to sit right up close to the window on the T specifically to look down the older tunnels.

Then you know allll about it.  Not much has changed youll be glad to know.

Whats *really* cool is sometimes a weird random light will catch an old train car sidelined. Theres only a couple; there were 3 and they made on into a just sort of "look thru the fence" type exhibit of a 60s subway car from the outside.   The ones just shunted off to some track for god knows what reason ir how long? Pretty cool.  I suspect they may be used late nite just for t personnel needing to go work parts of the line. Not totally sure.

The subway tunnels are cool to me. The paris catacombs and the tunnels under sevestapol? Kinda freak me out.  Not like the beaten path. Im talking just the hundreds of miles of unexplored stuff like when that teenage girl went missing and it took them 3 months of driving robots around down there to find her collapsed body.  All those pitch black empty endless tunnels. I cant imagine a scarier more disorienting experience to be deep in some tunnel half a mile under Sevastapol and lose all light.

Edited by Sublime

9 minutes ago, Sublime said:

...like when that teenage girl went missing and it took them 3 months of driving robots around down there to find her collapsed body.  All those pitch black empty endless tunnels. I cant imagine a scarier more disorienting experience to be deep in some tunnel half a mile under Sevastapol and lose all light.

Yep, that's real nightmare material.

Arthur C. Clarke once wrote a novel called The Deep Range. In it there is a passage where a submarine traversing a deep sea canyon gets trapped by an underwater landslide. Somehow the thought of dying miles below the ocean forever far from sunlight and free air totally freaked me out for decades.

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

...the other side of the universe.

Michael

And itll look back at you

Yeah.  It used to bother me thinking of what it musta been like on a U Boat or US sub or whatever and get stuck on the ocean floor and youre just.. Waiting for the air to go.

Edited by Sublime

Guess the reptile ate already. Else, it would be non nom nom nutria!

tumblr_inline_p26jbmiFTN1u7zjux_1280.jpg

This nutria has occupied a fortified position. To me, this is bizarre.
tumblr_inline_p26jblUnGv1u7zjux_1280.jpg

A young woman was trying to educate interested men in the dos and don'ts of SM interactions with her. She specifically requested men not send her pictures of a certain nature, but the guys simply wouldn't get it. In fact, here's what she got by way of reply.

tumblr_owk2i6FomW1r8jkpuo1_500.gif

A sight to gladden mine eyes and then make me cry for what was. The very antithesis of B&N.

tumblr_pkt0nxRVKA1qfgapgo1_1280.jpgRegards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

TMI writ large. Wonder how many such friends I have?! Also, does it exfoliate?

tumblr_phlrqzUTt71wqf48so1_500.png

I like this a lot, but I think there needs to be a discussion of what happened to the study in the first place. I suspect a great deal of the explanation lies in the downsizing of houses, certainly relative to, say, Victorian times.

tumblr_p1lf871GPc1rmndluo1_1280.pngRegards,

Only when a certain degree of diligence and mastery is shown does the teacher allow physical contact.

tumblr_okb3j8ooM41rfd7lko1_1280.gif

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler