The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Art embodies mankind's aspiration to become greater than ourselves.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Erwin said:

Good find, General...  Sad that this now has to be taught to modern emasculated youngsters to help make em proud of their heritage.

Aside from that, I think our civilization has lost it's appreciation for art, or at least any art that cannot be presented in a YouTube video.

For example:

"Have their minds furnished with beauty for the remainder of their lives," is one of the most profound arguments in favor of a classical education, and the appreciation of art.

Peter Hitchens might just be the saddest man in the world. I want to meet him someday and give him a hug.

Edited by General Jack Ripper

Okay if we are gonna talk culture, art and appreciating all of what humanity creates, then we just gotta note today.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/respect-remembering-aretha-franklins-10-greatest-performances-151105315.html

And just in case you doubt her, the one video not working in that link is her stepping in for Pavarotti when he fell ill performing Nessun Dorma.  She is part of our American culture.  Not black, not white, but American.  Rest in Peace Aretha.

Edited by sburke

Love this sort of "Private Eye" type article!

Tadamichi Yamamoto, the head of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, said “Just 10 years ago, this province was a humanitarian disaster area,” he told assembled reporters haling from as far away as Iran, Pakistan and Norway at a press conference. “Girls studying in schools were being massacred. Local tribal leaders were shamelessly stealing international aid as it flowed in. Now there are no girls schools and no one is really sending any aid to steal...  its really an overall net plus.”

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, sburke said:

And just in case you doubt her, the one video not working in that link is her stepping in for Pavarotti when he fell ill performing Nessun Dorma.  She is part of our American culture.  Not black, not white, but American.  Rest in Peace Aretha.

I was always more of a Tina Turner fan, but I still have some Aretha Franklin songs rattling around the noggin.

We're getting old, gents. :( 

Edited by General Jack Ripper

2 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

I was always more of a Tina Turner fan, but I still have some Aretha Franklin songs rattling around the noggin.

We're getting old, gents. :( 

true dat.  Tina's not bad, but Aretha IS the Queen of Soul.  ;) Though I can't really see Aretha ever doing anything like Mad Max.  :D 

flying_shark.jpg

Author Peter Taylor notes that “Follow the Führer Above the Clouds” was just one of the propaganda images offered to the Ministry of Information by war artist Paul Nash. “The Ministry thought they were unlikely to be understood by the public and turned them down,” he writes. “Or perhaps they were trying to avoid starting a panic about flying Nazi sharks.” (Via Imperial War Museums collection.

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/when-war-gets-weird-180970156/#w8gXQtDdJqwqwVsM.99

1 hour ago, Wicky said:

...avoid starting a panic about flying Nazi sharks

LOL (at first).  With further thought it is amazing how easily a population can be panicked.  So...

PS:  Odd that it was hard at first to even see the balkenkreuz on one of the aircraft and not a Swastika in sight...   At first glance I thought maybe it was a 50's era PR ad for flying... or that the first aircraft was towing a big shark-shaped balloon - like the ones the dam kids leave in my pool.

• 1 month later...

Way behind here, but look what I found. Want to see this properly painted but, well, you'll see.

Andy,

Don't know how bad the injuries were for the guy who fell under the treads of that tankette/light tank, but he should thank his Red Star that a) it was light and b) the ground so relatively soft and yielding. Video also shows why the Russians welded grab irons on their tanks.

Wicxky,

"Fuehrer above the clouds" was altogether too subtle, methinks, and would've been more acceptable for propaganda had Hitler's face been made more obvious and a swastika stuck on the side of the shark.

General Jack Ripper,

How coincidental you posted VOT, I came here after being away for weeks, but just the other day was thinking of CMBO. For those who don't know, VOT was how the firm barely avoided a revolt when CMx1 was still in Beta. Unlike now, the Demo was released before the game, and we played the scenarios in it to death. VOT was one of two scenarios Big Time Software (BFC's first name) used to semi placate us while finishing up CMBO for its eagerly anticipated release. It was nothing less than a revolution when we did get it.

Regards,

John Kettler