The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Andy,

Not only was I gobsmacked by that video you posted immediately above, but I flat out stopped breathing for several seconds. On a lighter note, while rambling about on Tumblr someone had the hots for Laci Green, whom I'd never heard of. Turns out she's a high profile feminist YouTuber who in her Taking the Red Pill video argued for such shocking things as not weighting people's words as heavily as, say, fists, listening to opposing views and other affronts to the movement Predictably, the sky fell. The video got north of 1.6 million views and some 26,000 comments. In looking at the typicallly one or two line replies some 100 or more down in the list,  one person, responded thus.

Tobias Wulff

If i identify as water, am I gender fluid?

Back came this. Italics mine.

Arto Pekkanen

No, gender fluid is a gender identity which refers to a gender which varies over time. A gender fluid person may at any time identify as male, female, neutrois, or any other non-binary identity, or some combination of identities. Their gender can also vary at random or vary in response to different circumstances.

So if you identify as water, your gender identity does not vary over time. It is not fluid, it is static.

Outrageous! Outrageous, I say! Why? Because water can be liquid, solid or a gas. Sheesh. Believe I was taught that in junior high, if not in elementary school.

Shan't be taking up the cudgel on this one, and haven't read past that last so far, but I wanted to preserve those two replies. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the gentleman emerging from the polling place is carrying an assegai(blade apparently with guards on in pic), the weapon of the Zulu. I find the juxtaposition of old and new weaponry and dress quite startling.

Kenya.

Image Credit: Original source unknown but posted on the remarkable Tumblr called fnhfal. It's full of Spec Ops, regular troops from many nations, UNCONS, riots and more, not to mention some great historical photos.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Thank goodness sculpture is open to public scrutiny - unlike academic writing:

"Kalashnikov statue changed because of German weapon"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41367394

"Workers in Moscow have cut out part of a new monument to a Russian creator of the world famous AK-47 assault rifle because a weapon depicted on the statue was actually a German-designed firearm.
Mikhail Kalashnikov's monument was opened this week to great fanfare by government officials and members of the Russian Orthodox Church.
But arms experts said a drawing on the base of the statue showed the StG 44 rifle used by the Nazis during WWII.
It was removed by an angle grinder.
"A mistake has been made by the sculptor," executive director of the Russian Military Historical Society Vladislav Kononov was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

The society commissioned the 7.5m (25ft) monument, which shows Kalashnikov holding an AK-47 in his arms.
A series of modified AK rifles were etched on a metallic plate on the base of the statue, including the wrong drawing.
Russian arms historian Yuri Pasholok was the first to point out the error, and several experts later confirmed this was the case."

Machor,

Let me fix that for you.

"Saudi Arabia's education minister has apologized, with his head,  for the production of a school textbook in which the Star Wars character Yoda is seen superimposed on a photograph of the late King Faisal."

"This beneficent approach is part of the Royal Saudi Ministerial Error Reduction Program." said a spokesman for the Kingdom.

If Yoda was running the show there, we'd all be better off!  Also, I think Disney, which I despise, should sue Saudi Arabia for gross copyright infringement.

Screwing up Kalashnikov's monument is truly in a new league of foul-up.

Andy,

Great and telling cartoons! Especially liked the first one. The full video for Liquid Lunch is like nothing I've ever seen, so much so I sent it over to an art director friend of mine.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Very cool, I'd not seen that before.....Discovered her when she did a live set on (IIRC) RT.  B)

12 hours ago, John Kettler said:

I think Disney, which I despise, should sue Saudi Arabia for gross copyright infringement.

That occurred to me too.....It's actually a really good idea, one does not casually **** with The Mouse:P

Andy,

Especially after all the money Dismal, Inc. spent of the Star Wars franchise purchase! On an altogether different note, I started looking into the strange business of hexagonal patterns in hurricanes and came across this piece on Saturn's hexagonal hurricane--a wee hexagon only as big as Earth's diameter!

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2471.html

The article is fascinating, but what puts it in another league  altogether is that they figured out how to create the hexagon (obviously on the most minuscule of scales) via a cleverly designed lab apparatus. Changing the wave number can yield septagons and other shapes as well.

Regards,

John Kettler

This is an incredible video which is the sort of thing which I believe could get kids in droves interested in science. This is the most astounding science demonstration I've ever seen!  It has almost 14 million views, too.

There's also this, which is so astounding I hardly know what to say. Call it Steam Punk (or earlier) sans steam. The legs it rests on are so spindly collapse seems imminent.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Wintergatan, the guy who invented the marble machine above, has a real thing about music machines and has embarked on covering them on YT. Here is one on a self-playing violin built over 100 years ago and which solved an instrument building problem many in the field considered fundamentally insoluble. Back in my late 20s, I got to see several Mighty Wurlitzers in action and stand in for an entire orchestra, but they couldn't play stringed instruments, only mimic their sounds.

Mighty Wurlitzer

This is an excellent demonstration of the astounding capabilities of the Mighty Wurlitzer. The two I've seen were not even remotely in the same category of visual appearance as this one, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

Russia apparently has a Sweeny Todd couple (though not barbers) which was active for quite some time. I'm sure Putin just loves this sort of press. 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/27/cannibal-couple-sold-human-meat-pies-to-local-cafe-6958927/#mv-a

This has to be seen to be believed. If I had had food in my belly, it would've been violently ejected in an instant! I thought the snowflake problem was bad here in the US, but this UK coddling goes way beyond anything I was aware of here--in a business, no less. Doubtless, the "Barney" song is mandatory! 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/27/firm-hires-a-director-of-happiness-to-retain-the-specialness-of-millennial-employees-6960594/

In other news, a proud widow has kept her husband's 8' tall cock (got your attention?) bush alive five years after his death.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/26/proud-widow-keeps-husbands-8ft-cock-alive-five-years-after-his-death-6956213/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler