The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Machor,

Simply astounding. Were some business owner crazy enough to try that here, the best outcome would be immolation on SM, mass picketing and intimidation. I can easily see fire bombing, assault and worse, too. On the China end, though, if you want to make people aware of your business, that sign certainly one way to get instant attention.The trick lies in converting the controversy junkies into repeat customers.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

The trick lies in converting the controversy junkies into repeat customers.

You see, I fear there may be no trick at all... I think they may have meant it at full face value: "We'll attract the babes with big boobs, so needy men will come to our eatery to look at them." This is in southern China, where women tend to be pretty flat, so I wouldn't be surprised if many men are boob fetishists.

12 hours ago, Machor said:

This is in southern China, where women tend to be pretty flat, so I wouldn't be surprised if many men are boob fetishists.

I am inclined to think that would depend on what the mass media offer as an ideal of feminine beauty. Otherwise, I can't see that being a fan of big boobs would get you very far in the pursuit of happiness. It just wouldn't pay off often enough. It won't pay off any oftener with media encouragement either, but it will help keep the fires of desire burning brightly.

Michael

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As my title suggests, I identify strongly with the (Demilitarised) Rapid Offensive Unit 'Killing Time'.

Any other 'Culture' fans around here at all?

Iain-M-Banks-Excession.jpg

Honestly this falls squarely into my "things I wish I had read" column.
I was more of a Heinlein fan when I was a kid.

Iain M Banks' 'Culture' novels are some of the most remarkable sci-fi you will ever read but they are most definitely for grown-ups, the concepts described in these two are not at all suitable for children:

the-player-of-games.jpg

3394235.jpg

But this one is still my favourite:

5510780.jpg

A lot of people say it isn't a 'Culture' novel, IMHO it is, but you will need to read all his other stuff to figure out how, why & what it all means.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, SLIM said:

I was more of a Heinlein fan when I was a kid.

I liked his earlier stuff, The Green Hills of Earth period for instance. But as he got older, he also got crankier. I still read him, but I no longer admired him.

I was a committed fan of Arthur C. Clarke, and there must have been four or five dozen SF writers that I liked in varying degrees, some really a lot. Ursula K. Le Guin, Cordwainer Smith, Harlan Ellison just to name three off the top of my head, would all make my A list. Anybody here ever read anything by Keith Laumer?

Michael

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Am behind on my reading here, but I came across this ingenious head breaker and thought I'd share it. Taken from www.mapsontheweb.tumblr.com

tumblr_ooydolcfJ91rasnq9o1_1280.png

Regards,

John Kettler

Wow. Somebody actually took the time to figure this out? I can't decide if they might be some kind of budding genius or seriously deranged.

:blink:

Michael

Michael Emrys,

It's what you get when you combine genius, cleverness, graphic skills and intellectual rigor with acute research OCD. Thought I had the large version up, but this one expands, making it readable in places where it pretty much wasn't before.

From Little Creel Honey Bee Sanctuary comes this unique take on very small scale ATC issues. Source is https://littlecreekhoney.tumblr.com  Not sure what the cognizant authority is for this mid-air.  Now, all we need is an ATC or pilot to do a suitable VO, and we'll really have something.

tumblr_o24s6zY8dh1ugdonlo1_400.gif

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Today is a look at artillery shell production in WW I England. You're not looking at some digital cloning here, just a very labor intensive task. As you can see, there are multitudes of women involved. Was totally confused as to how they moved those monsters the guys are painting in the foreground, since I saw no lifting eyes fitted, but close inspection shows they are present, so small as to be easily missed.

tumblr_oieekwcjwR1reg6u1o1_500.jpg

Munitions workers paint shells in the National Shell Filling Factory at Chilwell, Nottinghamshire, during the First World War.

Original source: Unknown. Posted on historywars.tumblr.com 

This is in a league of its own--Orwellian as the day is long. Benito Mussolini's HQ building. 

tumblr_ogach48qOi1s7e5k5o1_1280.png

The headquarters of Benito Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in Rome, 1934  Image Credit: Source unknown,but on historicaltimes.tumblr.com

tumblr_nx055jx1d81sx97juo1_500.jpg

Altogether too exciting for the experiencer! This is from 1917 and appeared on www.jasta11.tumblr.com

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

This is not a big deal, but in putting together invoices, I found it in Skype Chat and thought I would share it as word play. Groans optional!

LEXOPHILIA - WHO ON EARTH DREAMS THESE UP?  A lexophile of course!

•    Venison for dinner again?   Oh deer!

•    How does Moses make tea?   Hebrews it.

•    England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.

•    I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.

•    They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a typo.

•    I changed my iPod's name to Titanic.  It's syncing now.

•    Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

•    I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can
      stop any time.

•    I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

•    This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but
      I'd never met herbivore.

•    When chemists die, they barium.

•    I'm reading a book about anti-gravity.   I just can't put it down.

•    I did a theatrical performance about puns.   It was a play on words.

•    Why were the Indians here first?  They had reservations.

•    I didn't like my beard at first.  Then it grew on me.

•    Did you hear about the cross-eyed teacher who lost her job
     because she couldn't control her pupils?

•    When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

•    Broken pencils are pointless.

•    What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary?  A thesaurus.

•    I dropped out of communism class because of terrible Marx.

•    I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

•    Velcro - what a rip off!

•    Don’t worry about old age; it doesn’t last.

Regards,

John Kettler