The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Exactly.  But then it wouldnt have been Nazi Germany. Its all there in Mein Kampf, proven by Hitlers wartime actions (except idiotic mistakes he specifically blamed Germany for doin in WW1. "Second front? Ill one up that chump Wilhelm AND declare war on America!!"  He said Germany as a people needed to more or less constantly fight wars or theyd grow weak.  Also his worldview is further proven in his political last will when he tells a stunned Traudl Junge 'Germany deserves annihilation as she has proven herself too weak to win'  i paraphrase but there it is)

If they hadnt started the war or this ir that or whatever.. It wouldnt have been Hitler and the Nazis

11 hours ago, John Kettler said:

If this is what I think it is, then it's the most unusual bonsai ever and also illegal in some states.

tumblr_p6r7ssKEcP1vg9ixlo1_1280.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Welll guesss what? Its not illegal here!!! Bwahahahahahaaha

You actually smelll weed and see weed smokers more than cig smokers! Its crazy.  Theres tickets for blatant smoking outside but get this - the city hasnt figured out what to do if they dont pay so noone pays. Youre allowed to give up to a oz as agift so its nigh impossible to prove that you sold anything..

The state dragged its feet on dispensaries? Tobacco shops started selling grams of weed. Not in the open per say - though it made the front page of the paper and nothing happened - but you were buying a 20 dollar tiny glass jar.  They sell a metric f**kton of glass jars :D

Below please find the, cough, vast array of hair color and ethnicity of the ladies vying for the bachelor's heart in the upcoming season of the show "The Bachelor."  Positively mind-boggling. Hugh Hefner was obsessed with blondes, but even he featured women who weren't and hailed from a bunch of different ethnicities and races from all over the globe. Unfortunately, the Tumblr listed no date, but even so...

tumblr_p1wj63WgeM1rpx2cpo1_1280.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Looks good.  I recall the 1965 Brit movie "The War Game" was similarly realistic and widely seen despite govt efforts to ban it.

"...it caused dismay within the BBC and also within government, and was subsequently withdrawn before the provisional screening date of 7 October 1965.[1] The corporation said that "the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting."  Quite prescient:  "The film begins... with a news report of a Chinese invasion..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game

Wicky,

Would say that's a Panzer Turm installation, albeit crude. It's also been destroyed, evidenced by no turret roof and one turret  door blown clean off. Appreciate the new to me pic.

DerKommissar,

What on Earth is that that?

General Jack Ripper,

Just finished "First Strike" and found myself strongly triggered by it, since it was the environment in which I worked for over a decade and what was shown was our nightmare scenario. It's one thing to conduct strategic operations with 30 minutes to get geared up, planes launched, moorings slipped and the like, but as the film so chillingly showed, with a mere 8 minutes, things go sideways quickly.  I studied Soviet military doctrine and declaratory policy on strategic warfare, was deeply immersed in Soviet air defense capabilities, performed B-1B SAM escape analysis and helped analyze part of the SIOP relating to bomber missions, detailing which plane, from where, was assigned/cross assigned to what target and the planned level of effect.

One of the intriguing things was using nukes to create vast tree blowdown areas, completely paralyzing movement in the area hit. We had a former B-52 (later flew RC-135) pilot and a B-52 bombardier/navigator in my department. The first told me B-52 pilots wore a lead lined eyepatch as they went into Soviet-controlled airspace. It was to protect one eye from radiation if, say, a nuclear-tipped SAM went off close enough to dose the pilots through the windshield, but not close enough to physically endanger the aircraft. Found that chilling. Have also talked to guys who would've flown their tactical nuke armed fighter bombers on one-way missions (not enough range to get back) into the Soviet Union. Much later, brother Ed talked to a Navy Skyraider pilot whose wartime job was to deliver a tactical nuke right at the mouth of a gigantic underwater submarine base accessed through a cliff face entrance. Also had a friend and colleague who'd been a Reactor Man on the USS Ethan Allan. 

Spent a great deal of time immersed in the writings of most of the guys in the rest of the film, and it was remarkable to see live humans, as opposed to text. Our air defense situation was terrifying and exactly as depicted in terms of weakness, for it was a shell of its former self, with not so much as one NIke Hercules SAM site operational, yet it was then a key piece of NATO's air defense in Europe until the Patriot was deployed in strength.  The interceptor situation was every bit as bleak as depicted, and our SLBM situation was also right. The situation improved considerably when Poseidon was deployed, in terms of CEP, yield and now having MIRVs, but true Counter Force capability didn't come until the Ohio-class boomers and their Tridents were deployed. The tremendous legs of the Trident also colossally increased the ocean area which had to be searched. Mention was made of the vulnerability of the big radars, and we now know that the Soviets had plans to use Spetsnaz and other means to knock out the BMEWS at Fylingdales Moor and the not radar but soft and vital SOSUS station at I forget where. Based on reports of Spetsnaz ops in Alaska, it's reasonable to posit that  the BMEWS and COBRA DANE radar sites there would've been targeted as well. The vital sub base at Faslane was also on the Spetsnaz hit list. This would've severely damaged our ballistic missile detection and let Soviet subs surge through the GIUK Gap. Sub losses could've been devastating, too. As if all that wasn't bad enough, unknown to us, the Walker-Whitworth spy ring was letting the Russians read our comms (in real time) to such effect that, among other things,  our impossible to locate boomers were being trailed!

A big error I noted was the mischaracterization (common then) of the Tu-22M BACKFIRE as a strategic bomber, since it was actually a theater assigned aircraft lacking the legs to get here. Had the Soviets built a jet capable runway on Grenada, as was happening when we invaded, then the BACKFIRE would've been a scary threat indeed, not least because it would've come in our back door. The Mya-4 BISON was a one-way bird only, thanks to a design so terrible Myasischev was lucky to escape Gulag or even execution. Don't have the numbers handy, but it's hard to imagine that in absolute dollars spent, the Soviets were outspending the US on defense. Seems to me that would be quite the trick, given the huge GDP difference. That they were outspending us in percentage of GDP I do not doubt. Believe more should've been said about US LUA (Launch Under Attack) option, too.

What was shown in the film may seem farcical today, but it was no joke then, and if you didn't live through it, it's hard to fathom. Nor was it at all a comforting feeling to be sitting right next to a Counter Force target  while knowing full well that the Soviets strongly favored a bolt out of the blue attack philosophy. Countering the above, though, is that we now know, and this is covered extensively at the Atomic Archive, the Soviets felt deeply inferior, encircled, threatened not just by US strategic weapon, but those of the UK and even France. They knew their missile reliability wasn't good, so they built lots to offset this, terrifying us in the process. They had big warheads because delivery accuracy was poor, too. The SS-18 SATAN was the monster it was because it had to loft lots of heavy warheads, thus requiring a great honking missile to get them to the target. The overall Russian philosophy was based on lots of hoped to be good enough weapons to provide resilience to the force no matter what happened, but they never anticipated MIRVs, which were game changers, especially given US CEPs measured, not in miles, but hundreds of feet. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

15 hours ago, John Kettler said:

the Soviets felt deeply inferior, encircled, threatened not just by US strategic weapon, but those of the UK and even France.

However, threatened the west may have felt, the Soviets had our missiles aimed at them from our bases in Turkey.  The Soviets' Cuba gambit was to equalize that.  Arguably it was successful (on the part of the Soviets)... as part of the deal, Kennedy had the Turkish missiles removed.  

13 hours ago, John Kettler said:

The following emotional support animal is NOT TSA-approved, but then, no one's ever tried to board with it, either.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/324977/emotional-support-alligator-visits-care-home

Regards,

John Kettler

A year or so ago I saw a man with a Great Dane with "Support Animal" vest.  Ridiculous scam.  What an idiot.  Aircrew were taking pics - not cos it was fun - but it was obvious they were gathering evidence to greatly reduce use of "Emotional Support" animals on aircraft.

Ditto on a cruise ship a couple years ago. A happy guy had his pet dog with vest.  Passengers were gathered around as king what was his disability - which he refused to define.  Clearly there was nothing wrong with the guy - just a scam.  

These folks ruined this for everyone else.  Now, I can't take my pet Rattlesnake anywhere!!!  Grrr.