Jump to content
Machor

The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Thought I posted about this, but how about a Gallipoli diorama with 5000 54 mm figures in it( done by figure painters all over NZ), a construction site requiring hardhats, WETA, Sir Peter Jackson and more? First part is a photo series, not a still. Battle of Chunuk Bair. Second lInk is to an article on the project and has lots of good pics. Would've loved to have been involved with this. By the way, those are solid foam blocks carved out via a CNC laser profiler. Evidently, it was all one big carving, but the block had to be cut into smaller pieces to fit the museum's freight elevator, then reassembled on site, with all the joins concealed. Normal scene building techniques would've been to do the primary structure in light wood and chicken wire, requiring a completely different and considerably more awkward and expensive approach to actually getting the troops positioned.

28379816_1799189723710478_38425960941017

https://www.facebook.com/Love.Scale.Models/photos/pcb.1799190337043750/1799189723710478/?type=3

http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.cl/2015/05/first-pics-of-massive-gallipoli-diorama.html

Regards,

John Kettler


 

Edited by John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Thought I posted about this, but how about a Gallipoli diorama with 5000 54 mm figures in it( done by figure painters all over NZ), a construction site requiring hardhats, WETA, Sir Peter Jackson and more? First part is a photo series, not a still. Battle of Chunuk Bair. Second lInk is to an article on the project and has lots of good pics. Would've loved to have been involved with this. By the way, those are solid foam blocks carved out via a CNC laser profiler. Evidently, it was all one big carving, but the block had to be cut into smaller pieces to fit the museum's freight elevator, then reassembled on site, with all the joins concealed. Normal scene building techniques would've been to do the primary structure in light wood and chicken wire, requiring a completely different and considerably more awkward and expensive approach to actually getting the troops positioned.

28379816_1799189723710478_38425960941017

https://www.facebook.com/Love.Scale.Models/photos/pcb.1799190337043750/1799189723710478/?type=3

http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.cl/2015/05/first-pics-of-massive-gallipoli-diorama.html

Regards,

John Kettler

I got excited -- thinking that Peter Jackson was making a Gallipoli movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog vs. Leopard.....Fight!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/dog-fight-leopard-video-puppy-rescue-india-forest-a8379571.html

Dog Wins!!!!!

Looks like the dog got a good one in on the leopard's right front elbow.....That's a serious wound for an arboreal ambush predator (especially one with a city full of p*****d off Indians hunting for it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

...and yet almost no one knows his name.

Are you serious? He was so famous that he used to appear as a celebrity guest on tv shows.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had the privilege of meeting the man decades ago when he was on a book tour in LA.  Got him to sign  a copy of "The Right Stuff" which is still around here someplace.  

I assumed he was dead by now.  But he's going strong at 95!

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Chuck Yeager was so hard core that he flew the Bell X-1 to glory--with one arm broken! Used a piece of wood to close the canopy.

Meanwhile, we have this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/police-chase-armored-vehicle-stolen-from-virginia-military-base-1249881667538

Also, this, which has my head spinning. 

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Chuck Yeager was so hard core that he flew the Bell X-1 to glory--with one arm broken!

Sorry, John, but I have to contradict you on this one. According to all I have ever read on this event, it was a rib—which is plausible—not an arm—which is not—that was broken. If you have a source that says arm, I'd like to see it.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, John it would be great if you could post links that do not require us to watch a 30 second commercial first.  Life is too short...  Thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Emrys,

You are correct as to part, but not quantity. He broke two ribs as a result of falling from a horse.

Erwin,

Unfortunately, I have no control over what FB serves up, and I'd note YT is similarly infested, as it were. Wish there was just a pure link, but I think it's a matter of luck to get one.

Regards,

John Kettler

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Toy UFO taken off shelves for ‘teaching kids that Nazis achieved space travel’

https://www.thelocal.de/20180619/toy-nazi-ufo-taken-off-market-after-criticism

Odd headline as the German V2 rocket was first man-made object in 1944 to to travel into space by crossing the Kármán line, but the only folk to get upset will be the Kettlerians as the model doesn't have underslung Panther turrets... 🙂

d74442a28518d5e768e4d9029087fb895318e3fb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had no idea such a kit was ever released, and am astounded they did it in Germany. Am not astounded at all by the reaction Revell got. Anyone wishing to further discuss the general topic is welcome to be me AFTER I've moved and had some time to settle in. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dam - that would be worth a few bob today... if you'd snapped up a bunch. 

Maybe the real reason the toy was removed is that the US is basing its new "Space War" concepts on it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Er, PM me.

Erwin,

The date of the article is June 10, 2018, so theoretically you should still have the opportunity to scoop up what will certainly be a rare kit.

Regards,

John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon my facetiousness, but wasn't Von Braun a Nazi?

Anyone watch FIFA here? Now, the recent displays have left me completely flabbergasted.

Germany/Mexico? Iceland/Argentina? Brazil/Switzerland?

What is going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Erwin said:

Dam - that would be worth a few bob today... if you'd snapped up a bunch. 

Maybe the real reason the toy was removed is that the US is basing its new "Space War" concepts on it??

That's not even a slightly rare kit, it's a very recent Revell reboxing of the not terribly ancient Hand & Head 1/72 Haunebu kit (also reboxed by Wave):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1119689-revell-03903-dornier-stra-haunebu-ii-flying-saucer

It's OK, but there is a much better (as in bigger & better detailed) 1/72 Haunebu kit from Squadron:

haunebu_ii_squadron_1_72nd_4_.png

https://www.squadron.com/Squadron-Models-1-72-Haunebu-II-German-Flying-Sa-p/sqm0001.htm

You can easily find any of these kits on eBay or Amazon.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×