• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
Machor

The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

249 posts in this topic

Machor,

Simply astounding. Were some business owner crazy enough to try that here, the best outcome would be immolation on SM, mass picketing and intimidation. I can easily see fire bombing, assault and worse, too. On the China end, though, if you want to make people aware of your business, that sign certainly one way to get instant attention.The trick lies in converting the controversy junkies into repeat customers.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

The trick lies in converting the controversy junkies into repeat customers.

You see, I fear there may be no trick at all... I think they may have meant it at full face value: "We'll attract the babes with big boobs, so needy men will come to our eatery to look at them." This is in southern China, where women tend to be pretty flat, so I wouldn't be surprised if many men are boob fetishists.

12 hours ago, Machor said:

This is in southern China, where women tend to be pretty flat, so I wouldn't be surprised if many men are boob fetishists.

I am inclined to think that would depend on what the mass media offer as an ideal of feminine beauty. Otherwise, I can't see that being a fan of big boobs would get you very far in the pursuit of happiness. It just wouldn't pay off often enough. It won't pay off any oftener with media encouragement either, but it will help keep the fires of desire burning brightly.

Michael

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, TheBog11 said:

The full line is "I sexually identify as an Apache attack helicopter", btw.

I'm an A-10 Warthog.
Nice to meet you.

Anyway, let me add something so I'm not just trolling.

How many of you are familiar with the C&Rsenal YouTube Channel?
They do reviews of World War One firearms.

6 hours ago, SLIM said:

I'm an A-10 Warthog.
Nice to meet you.

I'm the starship Enterprise. Anything to drink around here?

Michael

Posted (edited)

As my title suggests, I identify strongly with the (Demilitarised) Rapid Offensive Unit 'Killing Time'.

Any other 'Culture' fans around here at all?

Iain-M-Banks-Excession.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

14 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I'm the starship Enterprise. Anything to drink around here?

Michael

I've got some JP-5, but none of those dilithium crystal nonsense.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As my title suggests, I identify strongly with the (Demilitarised) Rapid Offensive Unit 'Killing Time'.

Any other 'Culture' fans around here at all?

Iain-M-Banks-Excession.jpg

Honestly this falls squarely into my "things I wish I had read" column.
I was more of a Heinlein fan when I was a kid.

Posted (edited)

Iain M Banks' 'Culture' novels are some of the most remarkable sci-fi you will ever read but they are most definitely for grown-ups, the concepts described in these two are not at all suitable for children:

the-player-of-games.jpg

3394235.jpg

But this one is still my favourite:

5510780.jpg

A lot of people say it isn't a 'Culture' novel, IMHO it is, but you will need to read all his other stuff to figure out how, why & what it all means.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

30 minutes ago, SLIM said:

I read just one work of Heinlein's as a teenager, but I would still recommend it over many classics of world literature after all these years.

1 hour ago, SLIM said:

I liked his earlier stuff, The Green Hills of Earth period for instance. But as he got older, he also got crankier. I still read him, but I no longer admired him.

I was a committed fan of Arthur C. Clarke, and there must have been four or five dozen SF writers that I liked in varying degrees, some really a lot. Ursula K. Le Guin, Cordwainer Smith, Harlan Ellison just to name three off the top of my head, would all make my A list. Anybody here ever read anything by Keith Laumer?

Michael

Am behind on my reading here, but I came across this ingenious head breaker and thought I'd share it. Taken from www.mapsontheweb.tumblr.com

tumblr_ooydolcfJ91rasnq9o1_1280.png

Regards,

John Kettler

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Am behind on my reading here, but I came across this ingenious head breaker and thought I'd share it. Taken from www.mapsontheweb.tumblr.com

tumblr_ooydolcfJ91rasnq9o1_1280.png

Regards,

John Kettler

Wow. Somebody actually took the time to figure this out? I can't decide if they might be some kind of budding genius or seriously deranged.

:blink:

Michael

Michael Emrys,

It's what you get when you combine genius, cleverness, graphic skills and intellectual rigor with acute research OCD. Thought I had the large version up, but this one expands, making it readable in places where it pretty much wasn't before.

From Little Creel Honey Bee Sanctuary comes this unique take on very small scale ATC issues. Source is https://littlecreekhoney.tumblr.com  Not sure what the cognizant authority is for this mid-air.  Now, all we need is an ATC or pilot to do a suitable VO, and we'll really have something.

tumblr_o24s6zY8dh1ugdonlo1_400.gif

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Today is a look at artillery shell production in WW I England. You're not looking at some digital cloning here, just a very labor intensive task. As you can see, there are multitudes of women involved. Was totally confused as to how they moved those monsters the guys are painting in the foreground, since I saw no lifting eyes fitted, but close inspection shows they are present, so small as to be easily missed.

tumblr_oieekwcjwR1reg6u1o1_500.jpg

Munitions workers paint shells in the National Shell Filling Factory at Chilwell, Nottinghamshire, during the First World War.

Original source: Unknown. Posted on historywars.tumblr.com 

This is in a league of its own--Orwellian as the day is long. Benito Mussolini's HQ building. 

tumblr_ogach48qOi1s7e5k5o1_1280.png

The headquarters of Benito Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in Rome, 1934  Image Credit: Source unknown,but on historicaltimes.tumblr.com

tumblr_nx055jx1d81sx97juo1_500.jpg

Altogether too exciting for the experiencer! This is from 1917 and appeared on www.jasta11.tumblr.com

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Wow, that was weird. I wonder when that film was made and who did it. War of the Worlds meets All Quiet on the Western Front as envisioned by H.R. Giger?

Michael

You've been going too long without sleep, Squarehead. I told you those pills would fry your brain.

?

Michael

This is not a big deal, but in putting together invoices, I found it in Skype Chat and thought I would share it as word play. Groans optional!

LEXOPHILIA - WHO ON EARTH DREAMS THESE UP?  A lexophile of course!

•    Venison for dinner again?   Oh deer!

•    How does Moses make tea?   Hebrews it.

•    England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.

•    I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.

•    They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a typo.

•    I changed my iPod's name to Titanic.  It's syncing now.

•    Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

•    I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can
      stop any time.

•    I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

•    This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but
      I'd never met herbivore.

•    When chemists die, they barium.

•    I'm reading a book about anti-gravity.   I just can't put it down.

•    I did a theatrical performance about puns.   It was a play on words.

•    Why were the Indians here first?  They had reservations.

•    I didn't like my beard at first.  Then it grew on me.

•    Did you hear about the cross-eyed teacher who lost her job
     because she couldn't control her pupils?

•    When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

•    Broken pencils are pointless.

•    What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary?  A thesaurus.

•    I dropped out of communism class because of terrible Marx.

•    I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

•    Velcro - what a rip off!

•    Don’t worry about old age; it doesn’t last.

Regards,

John Kettler

Jeez, John, I hardly know what to say. Some of these are brilliant, but I do wonder what their creators might be doing if they weren't doing this.

Michael