The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Andy,

I get it, and there's no way that Adam Lambert could provide the poignancy of a man who knew he was dying. That acknowledged, Info I have says Freddie Mercury told Queen to find a replacement for him. Elsewhere, I've read he said that people could do anything they liked with his music, so long as it wasn't boring. Here's what a Queen member said about Adam Lambert and his singing and performance talents:

"Roger and I have seen literally thousands of singers in our lifetimes including some great ones auditioning for our We Will Rock You show (which, did I mention, ran for 12 solid years in The Dominion Theatre on the Tottenham Court Road in London?) but we’ve never seen or heard anything like Adam. I always think that Freddie, with a wicked smile, would say something like “I hate you, Madam Lambert,” because even Freddie would have been gobsmacked at his range and his ability to reinterpret these songs which the four of us originally created together." (Classic Rock)

Here's Queen + Adam Lambert at the MTV music awrds. This is a set, rather than just one song..

Regards,

John Kettler

Cocaine-fuelled Suffolk shrimps behind £50m Norfolk beach drug haul

Scientists found cocaine in freshwater shrimps when testing rivers for  chemicals, a study said.

Researchers at King's College London, in collaboration with the University of Suffolk, tested 15 different locations across Suffolk.

Their report said cocaine was found in all samples tested. Other illicit drugs, such as ketamine, were also widespread in the shrimp.

The researchers said it was a "surprising" finding.

Professor Nic Bury, from the University of Suffolk, said: "Whether the presence of cocaine in aquatic animals is an issue for Suffolk, or more widespread an occurrence in the UK and abroad, awaits further research.

"Environmental health has attracted much attention from the public due to challenges associated with climate change and microplastic pollution.

"However, the impact of 'invisible' chemical pollution (such as drugs) on wildlife health needs more focus in the UK."

Detectives now believe the cocaine haul was destined for the crack dens of the rivers Orwell, Alde and Lark where it would have been cut and distributed to junkie shrimps and lobsters throughout Britain’s waterways network.

Undercover drug cops now believe a mysterious Codfather-like figure, known as Lobster the Mobster, is masterminding the shipments and distribution of drugs.

Lobster the Mobster

“Drug use amongst Suffolk’s shrimps is reaching epidemic proportions,” a police spokesman said.

“Taking cocaine is not clever, it’s shellfish behaviour. We urgently want to  speak with Lobster the Mobster and his henchmen, the Krayfish” he added.

He explained the £50 million haul, which was washed up in Norfolk in 2017, was meant to be brought up the River Orwell towards a shrimp den near Ipswich.

"But we believe the inflatable boat bringing it in was punctured by Lobster the Mobster’s claw and sank, leaving the tide to take the bails of coke to Norfolk, where some locals tried to pinch it.”

The public is urged to watch out for spaced-out shellfish in Suffolk and to check their prawn sandwiches do not contain a mysterious white powder.

“Prawn barons are not welcome in Suffolk,” anti-drugs campaigner Lorraine Fisher, 34, said.

screenshot_1342.jpg

Source here

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/new-study-finds-river-wildlife-contain-cocaine-pharmaceuticals-and-pesticides

Dr Leon Barron from King’s added: “Such regular occurrence of illicit drugs in wildlife was surprising. We might expect to see these in urban areas such as London, but not in smaller and more rural catchments. 

Edited by Wicky

Wicky,

And to think that caffeine laced fish were found in Puget Sound, in an area totally coffee obsessed. Standard sewage treatment won't remover caffeine. What you found is something else altogether., but think of the possibilities: life-wrecking false positives for cocaine in the civilian sector and military alike, re-addiction of those finally clean and, of course, the invisible foundations of future drug use, never mind teens eating shrimp in great quantities to get high!

Meanwhile, it seems that cheese has lethality far beyond long term heart health concerns. Relatively speaking, the effects are practically instantaneous. A real shocker!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boy-death-allergic-reaction-cheese-dairy-school-karanbir-cheema-a8895006.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Wicky,

Great find? Did you know that full scale mockups of AFVs and other things shown at military expos are often made of wood? The same is true of certain aircraft, too.

On a different note, this is NOT a Doberman attack. Instead, it's a Vogue fashion shoot from 1977, and that's Christie Brinkley taking quite the risk modeling Geoffrey Beene sandals. Talk about trust!

tumblr_pn0okaJwGK1y1j7pro1_500.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

On a different note, this is NOT a Doberman attack. Instead, it's a Vogue fashion shoot from 1977, and that's Christie Brinkley taking quite the risk modeling Geoffrey Beene sandals. Talk about trust!

Yeah I know.....The vet bills for getting that much plastic out of a dog would be staggering!  :o

The magnificent Union Pacific steam locomotive Big Boy has returned to service.

Apparently, this didn't pass unnoticed by certain ladies. Photo below was taken in Poughkeepsie, New York on March 9, 2019. 

tumblr_po8f87Eh1W1s7az76_1280.jpg

If you think that's PS, take a look at a longer range shot looking down on the train. Notice colors and markings on the adjacent railroad cars. They're identical to what can be seen in the first pic.

tumblr_po64t72df81rxaf1e_1280.jpg

There's a reddit about it, and here's the Imgur pic. 

RAn0llF.jpg

Don't believe it's PS, and if it's grafffiti, then someone had major stones to do this, for while there are boxcars with that word on them, the marking is very crude and very small relative to this.

Regards,

John Kettler

In a period in which so many parents are lamentably not involved with their children, I find this refreshing and disturbing. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7033895/Mother-goes-school-vowing-fight-adult-female-relative-daughters-bullies.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I'm not normally terribly big on news items from DM, but here's one that I thought was pretty cool:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7035685/Heartwarming-moment-quadriplegic-former-airline-pilot-takes-skies-paragliding-flight.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Kind of like kite-buggying off the side of a mountain.....You don't see that every day!  :D

Andy,

Shall have to watch those later, but the speed numbers alone were enough to boggle my mind immediately. While looking for copies of the sadly defunct Game Fix, each of which had a complete game in addition to the articles and reviews, I found an altogether different type of game fix. Short of physical harm and bodies dropping, this story could easily be a bestselling crime novel and a hit movie. It's a story of greed, extortion, extreme opportunism, the Mob, gross ethics violations, enormous corruption, but covering, intimidation, drugs, sophisticated trend analysis, book suppression, fears for personal safety, the real crimes unpunished, huge lies to to the government and public alike by the still denying it NBA, connections to the high and mighty, criminal genius, sound tradecraft, failed OPSEC, a city subculture that produces NBA referees and also bookies and bettors. He went to prison for betting on games he officiated, but on several occasions then top tier NBA ref Tim Donaghy not only admitted to various people that he fixed games but explained how he did it.

My primary interaction with sports writing is when I go the a doctor or dentist office and find Sports Illustrated in the waiting room. Got there unexpectedly here, but am I glad I did!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

Regards,

John Kettler

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

tumblr_odypunwBUw1rr6qypo1_1280.jpg

Now imagine, you're out in you skiff trolling for, I don't know, mackerel say. It's basically just a ruse to get off the land on a Saturday and imbibe a few beers. You're just about to doze off when suddenly this erupts out of the water about a dozen feet away. Now the question is, "Are you going to have time to change your underwear?"

Michael

Nice find JK.....Intrigued to know what his 15m low wind kite is, I don't recognise it at all.

It's unusual to see a kitesurfer using a foil-kite, they normally use leading-edge inflatables (he used one for his record).....If he's happy with a foil, I'm kind of surprised he's not using a Flysurfer Speed 21m Silver Arrow:

These things are the king of low-wind kiting and will power you to the max in pretty much any breeze that you can feel on your skin.....I wouldn't feel safe to hold one down, period!  :o

PS - The shots where he's flying in tandem with a 15m Speed 3 Deluxe are just awesome!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead