CM games I'd like to see

Scipio

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 10:50 PM, John Kettler said:

Armorgunner,

Most interesting. Were your tanks bare or fitted with Kontakt-5? Regarding the T-80U, do you mean all kinds of tests, live fire tests, both or some other thing, please?

Regards,

John Kettler 

here is some pictures and information on the testshootings on the T-80U armored modules in Sweden

http://www.ointres.se/2015-05-13_Russian_Armour.pdf

Armorgunner,

Absolutely loved that splendid briefing and shared it with various relatives and friends. A stunning and thoroughly enjoyable presentation, but I wish they had more in the way of test specific and damamage photos. Should you come across any, and can do so, please post. 

Regards,

John Kettler

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Armorgunner,

Absolutely loved that splendid briefing and shared it with various relatives and friends. A stunning and thoroughly enjoyable presentation, but I wish they had more in the way of test specific and damamage photos. Should you come across any, and can do so, please post. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Happy you liked it. Well most information is in Swedish, it was just luck that i found that presentation in English.

8 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Armorgunner,

Regards,

John Kettler

This presentation can be of interest for you. Not much new on the T-80U though. But a lot of info on tests between Leo 2i, M1A2 and Leclerc. Damaged M1A2 turret modules after testfire on picture. And much more.

http://www.ointres.se/2012-11-08_OH_Arsenalen.pdf

-

Without functional horses in the CMx engine the Russian Civil War is a no go IMHO.....Total War might be a more realistic engine for that conflagration, Shogun II has the basis for most elements.

A quick google found this thread on the TW forums, not very promising at all TBH:  https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/132017/russian-civil-war-a-new-game-for-total-war

You can of course play the Russian Civil War in 'Strategic Command: Breakthrough'.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Russian Civil War would be interesting. You'd have all the WWI weaponry and organizations, plus horses, armored trains, and other fun kit.

The hurdles would be horses and, in my opinion, melee weapons. (Gotta be able to use sabres, lances, maces (trench raids, donchaknow), shovels, bayonets, etc.)

Horses and melee weapons would open up...everything: US Civil War, Napoleonic Period, Ghenghis Khan, etc.

Fine tuning the air support aspect would also be interesting. Imagine Zeppelins drifting about overhead. ;)

12 minutes ago, c3k said:

The hurdles would be horses and, in my opinion, melee weapons. (Gotta be able to use sabres, lances, maces (trench raids, donchaknow), shovels, bayonets, etc.)

Which is one reason why I said the CM scale would not be a good choice. In a larger scale, all that is abstracted.

Michael

Bah! It would be the PERFECT scale! The Battle of the Wilderness with EVERY MAN simulated? Woot! Agincourt with every shield painted with correct heraldry (I fear the medieval grogs), pennants aflutter atop lances, sunlight glistening off of armor: Aye, that's what we're talking! Rourke's Drift? If there's no Michael Caine guy, it'd be wrong!

Okay, so some battles would be tough. But, by changing the number of men in a unit (squads of 50?), and using auto-formations (better TacAI...which we're seeing with each engine iteration), these could be playable.

;)

17 minutes ago, c3k said:

Okay, so some battles would be tough. But, by changing the number of men in a unit (squads of 50?), and using auto-formations (better TacAI...which we're seeing with each engine iteration), these could be playable.

Okay, this goes to a pet peeve of mine. Now, CM is a great game, don't get me wrong. It does what it does beautifully. Except for the occasional crank, I think we all agree with that. But is seems to me that a lot of the players playing have missed an important point. They would seem to believe at times that the outcome of the whole war hinges on the little battle that is going on on their monitors ("For want of a nail..." etc., etc.). Historically, that was almost never, never the case. All these firefights tended to average out across the front, and critical things happened higher up the scale depending on how astutely the generals commanding have arranged their forces and issued orders, and how well they respond to changing situations. That's what is called operational art, and that's where battles, campaigns, and wars are won and lost.

So if you really want to understand the dynamics of any modern war, including the Russian Civil War, you have to pull back and look at what was going on at a much higher level. The smallest units you would normally be concerned with would be battalions, and most of the time you would be concerned with divisions and even corps. Of course, Hollywood doesn't make dramatic movies about such things, and I think it is largely the movie experience that a lot of gamers focus on. They want to reproduce the experience of The Longest DayA Bridge Too Far, or A Band of Brothers, and so forth. And CM largely provides that experience.

Thank you for your time, and now I must go.

:)

Michael

I just want an Afrika Korps TOW release sooner rather than later. Apart from that an expansion of the Black Sea TOW, which I have found to be extremely immersive and well done despite a preference for WW2. CMBS makes you appreciate how much technology and warfare have changed over a relatively short period of time.

+1 for Afrika Korps.  It would be a largely different game experience due to the massively different terrain than all the European titles. which are all rather similar.

It's a reason that CMSF is still enjoyed as a different experience to the Eurocentric games.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

+1 for Afrika Korps.  It would be a largely different game experience due to the massively different terrain than all the European titles. which are all rather similar.

An AK game would be less infantry-centric I believe, and would require adjusting one's mindset. To some extent, though not as much, games set in early and mid-war Europe might be similar in that regard.

Michael

Afrika Korps...with CAMELS. Two humpers have TWICE the range! Bedouins on camelback!

;)

In all seriousness, I'd love to see some early-war action. When a PzII is a thing to be feared, and French tanks shrugged off hits. It'd be interesting...

Totally agree with Michael that the scale & style of CM is not suited to every conflict.....Even WWI would be pushing things IMHO.

Have to say, the WWII North Africa campaign bores me silly.....Sand, sand, nothing but ******* sand!  :rolleyes:

If CM:BN were to get some Comets in a close of the war update I'd be pleased.

Operation Barbarossa through to Citadel & The Battle for Berlin all deserve coverage in CM:RT and this game really needs Partisans too.

I'd like to see the Pershing in a future CM:FB update.....Hightower is just such a cool name, and we now have bridges that can mostly do the job.

CM:FI 4.0 I'd just like to see.

CM:BS I'm starting to loathe.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, gnarly said:

I'm curious about your (changed?) feelings here Sgt Squarehead?   :ph34r:

Sick to the back teeth of the puerile 'willy-waving' from both sides.....Wish they'd just pack it in (both ranting at each other here & shooting at each other there).  :mellow:

It's a great game but until the conflict in Ukraine is resolved I'd rather see it off the shelves so to speak.....Shame, but there it is. :unsure: 

Mebbe put the game engine to good use updating CM:SF, I reckon we can all agree that blowing the bejesus out of ISIS (& their ilk) is a good thing, can't we?  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

"An AK game would be less infantry-centric..."

God, I hope so...

And "Sand, sand, nothing but ******* sand! "

Have you heard of a game called CMSF??  It's really quite good.   B)

I don't know why it is, but I just can't get into the desert war in WWII, the closest I've got to it is some stuff for Iraq in 1941:

Nearly%20There%20-%201_zpskcbok7ec.jpg

postcard-battle-luftwaffe-attack-kingcol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_Iraqi_coup_d'état

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead