CM games I'd like to see

Scipio

On 2017-6-12 at 4:37 PM, John Kettler said:

J Bennett,

Guarantee you if BFC had done nothing but keep the game in Normandy and done nothing but provide new engines, there would be no BFC by now, for it needs to sell games, not new engines, in order to stay afloat. Gamers hunger for new vistas, new forces, new weapons, and Normandy is a highly constrained environment with tactical realities practically unique to it. Interesting and all that, but by no means a basis for long term business survival, let alone success. There was only so much BFC could do in this AO, which is precisely why it released, first, CMFI, opening up the MTO as an AO, the MG Module, and, later, CMFB. CMRT is there because the Eastern Front is and was  a big deal (people practically went mad over AH's "Panzerblitz") to wargamers, and the date was chosen so that the most popular AFVs (the heavy iron) on both sides were all in use. CMRT also allowed BFC to use German troops and gear already done for CMBN and CMFI, enabling it to focus on the Red Army side of the equation, an excellent leveraging of scarce staff and resources. I really, really wish we could have the PTO, but Steve seems totally opposed going there. So many possibilities.

Would absolutely support AIW, which could feature such fascinating things as an Israeli squad armed with 98Ks supported by an FT-17, jeep mounted RRs, all sorts of late WW II armor (IS-2, SU-100, to name but two), early and mid Cold War (IS-3, IS-10, T-54/55.T-62, BTR-152, BTR-40, BTR-50, BTR-60, SNAPPER ATGM equipped BTR, converted US HTs, Super Sherman and Isherman, AMX-13 (Panther gun on a light tank/w ATGMs, too, M48, M113, SP mortars. Four wars to fight: 1948,1956, 1967 and and 1973, mostly fought on the wide open desert, provide rich wargaming possibilities. 

Ithikial_AU,

Like your Forum consolidation idea.

Regards,

John Kettler

Would absolutely support AIW...

Man ! you read my mind...?

Edited by 3j2m7

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Having done it, I absolutely deny PTO is not appropriate for CM, unless you are the most hardcore World of Tanks refugee ever.  BFC does need to tweak that fortification spotting though. And treetop sniper nests would be nice. And caves. And... 

I agree. In singleplayer, the CM system is best suited for exactly that kind of battle - an attacking force trying to crack a stubborn static defence.

23 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Action_bunker1.jpg

Having done it, I absolutely deny PTO is not appropriate for CM, unless you are the most hardcore World of Tanks refugee ever.  BFC does need to tweak that fortification spotting though. And treetop sniper nests would be nice. And caves. And... 

Now that is very cool.  However it also makes me think of a CM Vietnam.  I can hear the choppers now. :D

MOS:96B2P and Andy,

BFC Could call it: CMVC (Combat Mission: Vietnam Conflict). That way, it could be the overarching title for three (maybe four) games. The first would be the anti-Japanese insurgency during WW II. The second would be the post-war fight against the French as/after they recolonized Indochina. The third would be North Vietnam and VC versus RSVN, US and allies. The fourth (or maybe a Module) would be SRV vs PRC invasion attempts. Plenty of gaming there, with the added advantage that much of the gear in one game would be usable in the others. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

AIW and Fulda Gap seem like by far the most obvious and popular CM2 choices for new titles.  Since those aren't on the horizon I wouldn't think anything else has any chance at all.

Actually am a bit surprised we've heard nothing from BF for a while.  Is it just my impression or are the regular contributors and the rate of postings on these forums slowly melting away?   Even the last mod posted to CMMODS was over a month ago.  Hope all goes ok at BF and they are busy working on some lucrative govt contract.

...was just my imression that the road to Rome seem to be very long...hoppefully they take part of this talk...would like also be happy to be on the list to support such game series...what about my suggestion to created an opinion to see a futur game of CM ?

56 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Actually am a bit surprised we've heard nothing from BF for a while.  Is it just my impression or are the regular contributors and the rate of postings on these forums slowly melting away?   Even the last mod posted to CMMODS was over a month ago.  Hope all goes ok at BF and they are busy working on some lucrative govt contract.

Meh, Steve seems happy and well adjusted to me. No one on the inside has nothing to do. All seems good. We on the outside have tons of stuff to play and keep us busy until something new gets released.

Anyone that is bored, join a gaming club and find the best player there to kick you around. Then you will have lots to think about and learn. :D

18 hours ago, IanL said:

Anyone that is bored, join a gaming club and find the best player there to kick you around. Then you will have lots to think about and learn. :D

I hope that statement is about me, but "Not"

You and I hooked up before I joined a club.

But I agree, Joining a club can add excitement into what we have, I sure don't understand this constant demand for more product. Most could spend thousands of hours with what they presently have and still not be great at the game.

MeatEtr has proven to be someone to give me a beaten and I have enjoyed every moment of it. Rocketman has crossed my path twice now also and has bested me, I look forward to paying him back in a major way someday.

But it is fun playing against some of those I have seen on the forums for many a year.

5 hours ago, slysniper said:

I hope that statement is about me, but "Not"

Heck yeah! You and another guy that does not frequent this forum. naughtkris kicked my butt around before we started playing - you got the improved me. Clearly I have lots to learn yet - ouch.

You and I hooked up before I joined a club.

But I agree, Joining a club can add excitement into what we have,

Indeed. The advantage of a club is nearly everyone there is there to play other people. Here, not so much. Which is fine BTW that's what those clubs are for!

I sure don't understand this constant demand for more product. Most could spend thousands of hours with what they presently have and still not be great at the game.

Yeah, I get confused too. Don't get me wrong new stuff is exciting and I'll play it when it arrives (or before if given the chance :-) but if I am being honest if the they never released another game, ever, I'd still be playing what we have now for years and years to come.

On 2017-6-14 at 3:30 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Now that is very cool.  However it also makes me think of a CM Vietnam.  I can hear the choppers now. :D

I don't have any of the CM post WW2 titles, and I'm not really interested in them but I'd buy a CM Vietnam game. Not that I'm into gaming Vietnam, but more because of Vietnam movies I've seen and books I've read* and documentaries like Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War.

(*Fields of Fire, Matterhorn and...a couple of others I can't remember.)

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Don't get me wrong new stuff is exciting and I'll play it when it arrives (or before if given the chance :-) but if I am being honest if the they never released another game, ever, I'd still be playing what we have now for years and years to come.

Amen.  I'll take all the new stuff they ever put out, but I'll be happy with what we have for a looooooooong time.

Well , I guess its possible, even likely someday Steve and all the BF staff will say "Thats it guys, We're retiring" then they sell the source code to another company or maybe some modders and they keep the game fresh with new content. That wouldn't be so bad either eh.

4 hours ago, Holdit said:

...documentaries like Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War.

I watched that 35 years ago, or a little more, and thought it was definitely one of the better documentaries on Vietnam. Certainly one of the most complete. I saw things in it I have never seen anywhere else.

Michael

I would not be interested in a Korean war. 
What I would like to see is the initial stage of war, 1939-1941 starting with Poland and finishing with the Battle for Moscow. This is by itself an interesting set up with fairly light tanks except (T-34 and KV-1) where even a small 45 mm gun would be able to penetrate the armor of most tanks. 

On 6/7/2017 at 1:27 AM, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

The Combat Mission game I'd like to see?

CMx3 - a single executable, a single codebase, but all nations/theatres/time periods are modular and purchased in packs. I think that would spare a lot of trouble since in CMx2 all the games share a vast amount of code, but are maintained separately.

My vote would be towards this with maybe ww2 and modern split as games- similar to steel panthers. That and a remake of Shock Force would be lovely.

13 hours ago, Kalibri said:

This is by itself an interesting set up with fairly light tanks except (T-34 and KV-1) where even a small 45 mm gun would be able to penetrate the armor of most tanks. 

Hell, for the first two or three years of the war most armies were using tanks that could still be penetrated by ATRs!

Michael

Many of these ideas are good but have been suggested many times. Here's definitely a new one:

I'd like to see a game based on an 80's cold war Russian assault on the strategically important Danish island of Bornholm. 

Combat Mission: Battle of Bornholm would include the campaign Road to Rønne, starting with an amphibious landing at the beach of Dueodde and progress through a series of increasingly difficult battles to take the town of Rønne.

Expansions could cover the Russian attacks on Copenhagen and Oslo.

I'm only half joking.

On 22.6.2017 at 0:54 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Many of these ideas are good but have been suggested many times. Here's definitely a new one:

I'd like to see a game based on an 80's cold war Russian assault on the strategically important Danish island of Bornholm. 

Combat Mission: Battle of Bornholm would include the campaign Road to Rønne, starting with an amphibious landing at the beach of Dueodde and progress through a series of increasingly difficult battles to take the town of Rønne.

Expansions could cover the Russian attacks on Copenhagen and Oslo.

I'm only half joking.

Yeah, and it must include a fictional scenario "Dueppeler Schanzen revisited! ???

9 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah, and it must include a fictional scenario "Dueppeler Schanzen revisited! ???

Actually if I had Red Thunder I could do a fictional "what if" scenario about the liberation/occupation of Bornholm in 1945, when the local German commander refused to surrender.

In reality, the Russians then commenced bombing and landed on the island without resistance. The scenario could describe what would have happened if the German forces had been more fierce.

I can imagine the names of the scenarios now, direct translation of the real Danish place names will do:

Pigeon Point - beach landing at Dueodde

Valley of Echoes - fighting for the forest valley of Ekkodalen

Hammer House - stubborn German resistance at the castle ruins of Hammershus

Red Herring - A communist diversionary attack on a herring smokehouse dominating the open beach

The Sun above Godhome - two-front battle to take the town of Rønne

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Actually if I had Red Thunder I could do a fictional "what if" scenario about the liberation/occupation of Bornholm in 1945, when the local German commander refused to surrender.

In reality, the Russians then commenced bombing and landed on the island without resistance. The scenario could describe what would have happened if the German forces had been more fierce.

I can imagine the names of the scenarios now, direct translation of the real Danish place names will do:

Pigeon Point - beach landing at Dueodde

Valley of Echoes - fighting for the forest valley of Ekkodalen

Hammer House - stubborn German resistance at the castle ruins of Hammershus

Red Herring - A communist diversionary attack on a herring smokehouse dominating the open beach

The Sun above Godhome - two-front battle to take the town of Rønne

Sounds interesting enough. Perhaps you declare RT as your next preferred birthday present. Or X-mas, what ever comes first..