CM games I'd like to see

Scipio

Well, since we're dreaming...

Combat Mission: American Civil War

Rationale: The Scourge of War franchise is a decade old and showing its age, and getting mixed reviews for its foray into Napoleonics with SoW: Waterloo. It uses sprites, and it has none of the map-creation tools that CM has. And yet Scourge of War is still the only ACW computer sim that even attempts to be a realistic tactical wargame the way CM does for WWII and modern conflicts.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've replied to threads like this in the past so I know I won't get what I'd like to see so I'll just have to settle for what I get. Looks like a later 1944+ Italy and 1944-1945 Eastern Front is what I have to look forward to and a Black Sea Module.

Hopefully a 1941-1943 Eastern Front game is somewhere in the queue and Africa module too, but it sounds like BF isn't into it or its far, far down the road.

Fulda Gap and the Cold War....I used to play all sorts of SPI, GDW (Assault, Boots and Saddle) and the NATO  and other board games that covered this period. I really wish I kept the games. The Next War.They are worth some coin-Especially the monster ones that covered WW2 like War in the Pacific, Campaign for North Africa, Atlantic Wall, Highway to the Reich. Some of the more esoteric titles Like Art of Siege are very collectable -especially if in new or unused condition. To think I had them all...sigh

For all my past interest in the period I'm not very interested in the period anymore myself, but that's just me-I can see what there would be an interest in the period.

Reagan, Star Wars-SDI, not the movie, the basing of Pershing and cruise missiles in Western Europe, brings back a lot of memories. It was also a period when the military was viewed much differently.

I guess if BF wants to be corporate and focus on turning a profit at any cost they can do a Zombie Apocalypse or Game of Thornes game. I wouldn't buy either, but I'm sure there would be a huge audience for it  as would a Star Wars themed game, licensing issues aside.

Edited by db_zero

9 hours ago, db_zero said:

I've replied to threads like this in the past so I know I won't get what I'd like to see so I'll just have to settle for what I get. Looks like a later 1944+ Italy and 1944-1945 Eastern Front is what I have to look forward to and a Black Sea Module.

Hopefully a 1941-1943 Eastern Front game is somewhere in the queue and Africa module too, but it sounds like BF isn't into it or its far, far down the road.

Fulda Gap and the Cold War....I used to play all sorts of SPI, GDW (Assault, Boots and Saddle) and the NATO  and other board games that covered this period. I really wish I kept the games. The Next War.They are worth some coin-Especially the monster ones that covered WW2 like War in the Pacific, Campaign for North Africa, Atlantic Wall, Highway to the Reich. Some of the more esoteric titles Like Art of Siege are very collectable -especially if in new or unused condition. To think I had them all...sigh

For all my past interest in the period I'm not very interested in the period anymore myself, but that's just me-I can see what there would be an interest in the period.

Reagan, Star Wars-SDI, not the movie, the basing of Pershing and cruise missiles in Western Europe, brings back a lot of memories. It was also a period when the military was viewed much differently.

I guess if BF wants to be corporate and focus on turning a profit at any cost they can do a Zombie Apocalypse or Game of Thornes game. I wouldn't buy either, but I'm sure there would be a huge audience for it  as would a Star Wars themed game, licensing issues aside.

Bolded, above. Hmm. If BFC incorporated blood splatter, it could be used as a vector for spreading Zombie Infection into your own units. Imagine as your men turn! Yeah, BFC Zombie Wars: I'm all in.

;)

• 2 months later...

Here's a useful tank comparison for those wishing CM:FG. Found it on bmashina.tumblr.com, but the ultimate source has to be US Army. If you want to see real T-54s, see the Spielberg's very good "Bridge of Spies" starring Tom Hanks.

tumblr_oqvwnbq0MN1rqpszmo1_1280.jpg

Broadsword56,

Full marks for using an "F Troop" character as your avatar. Bet most here missed the nature of your avatar altogether. Fortunately, it's only the keyframe for the trailer which is is so horrendously awful! Also, I've never forgotten I owe you a CMBN fight. How happy I would be to be able to make good on that delightful commitment, for it would mean my brain had gotten markedly better.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

As much as I would like to see North Africa, the Blitzkrieg, Russo-Finnish war, Pacific war coverage; and after much travail of soul, instead of expanding to more theaters and time frames, I hope BF instead focuses on making better and improved versions of the game 5.0 CMx3  Cmx4 etc. 

Bring on CM:SF II, (BFC please include the CM:A units) and please, please add uncons to all the CM titles, they are appropriate for all of them and would really add variety to the scenarios we can create. 

With all the content on Engine 4, iron out the remaining bugs and give us just a few more AI options.....That'd be me made up, that would.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Broadsword56,

I don't date myself. I prefer women!

Heinrich505,

She lied about her age! Was not quite 16 (said she was 18) when she got the role and is now no longer with us. Photo's dazzling.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-melody-patterson-20150829-story.html

Also, look up this on YT, which, for unknown reasons, won't let me embed the video! To motivate you to do so, the clip has her in your favored attire.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

23 hours ago, Broadsword56 said:

...quite likely the only one who's ever noticed it and recognized it was an "F Troop" reference!

I noticed it and knew what it was about, but never commented on it. I think that as a youngster I watched about a half a season of the show.

Michael

50 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I noticed it and knew what it was about, but never commented on it. I think that as a youngster I watched about a half a season of the show.

Michael

welcome aboard mister negativity.  We have a special cabin set aside for you otherwise known as the head.

On 2017-03-21 at 2:24 AM, db_zero said:

My impression (note!) is that there is actually some kind of multi-stage master plan. For instance, all the work done on the Italians means we will likely see them in North Africa (and probably in Russia too). It's simply too much effort and money to not reuse.

So the late-war stuff comes first, likely followed (again, guessing) by mid-war at some point. Early war may never happen, There's also the fact that some modules, notably Stalingrad, require a lot of new terrain objects and possibly features so it kind of makes sense to do them later as the engine evolves.

As for the modern line, I feel much less qualified to even guess at the master plan (if there even is one) but European or Asian (Korea gone hot?) scenarios seem like the logical odds-on favourites.

Edited by Duckman

On 6/5/2017 at 4:03 AM, Broadsword56 said:

@John Kettler

You're the only person who's ever commented on my Larry Storch-as-Cpl. Agarn avatar -- and quite likely the only one who's ever noticed it and recognized it was an "F Troop" reference! Few under 55 would be likely to get it, so we're dating ourselves here...

I always assumed it was a guy doing a Donald Duck impression :)

But yeah I'm under 55...