Mods. Where?

bruce90

<whatever your path is>\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods

Above is the current expected place for you to put mods.  You should know that you *can* still put mods in something resembling the old location:

<whatever your path is>\Battlefront\CMRT\Data\z

just manually create the z folder and go from there.  The game will look in one and then the other (I forget which takes precedence so just don't put various versions of the same mod in both places:-).  This can be useful if you routinely run multiple versions of the game - which I do for a while each time there is a new release so I can finish exiting games with the previous release version and start new ones on the newest version.  In that case I use the Documents folder for all the shared mods and the local Data/z folder for the version specific mods.

• 1 year later...
On 12/09/2016 at 6:41 PM, IanL said:

<whatever your path is>\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods is the current expected place for you to put mods.

If I put mods in \User Data\Mods and have mods that are similar to each other, can I still use the method of adding a couple of z in front of them to get the load order right or should I use another method?

I also understood from what MOS:96B2P wrote in another thread, that I can use a Z folder inside the User Data\Mods folder for mods I want to be loaded last. So I have most mods in the Mods folder and some in the Mods\Z folder to avoid mod conflicts between mods of the same kind but ftom different modders.

I have a Z folder for most mods.  Inside that Z folder I then make a ZZ DESIRED MODS folder for the mods I definitely want loaded last (to ensure they appear in the game). 

FWIW I also split the Z subfolder further by having folders called Z SOUNDS; Z UI, Z UNIFORMS, and Z FX as well as a Z MOD SETS folder for campaign or scenario specific mod sets.

15 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Sounds interesting. Maybe I should try that too? How many subfolders can one have inside the Mods folder? Can the game read through a whole bunch of different Z (zz, zzz, zzzz or other names)-subfolders and still find the mods one want to use?

Yes, there are no hard limits. But more stuff and more directories does mean more work - at some point it could become and issue. Having said that I have a lot of sub folders and sub sub folders. I work with top level folders for vehicles, uniforms, UI etc. under each is a separate folder for each mod. Many of those have a sub folder or two inside them as well. It is pretty clear that most people are no where near any limiting factor on number and nesting of folders.

A number of years ago a few of us tested the impact on load performance with mods. Short version there was very little impact. You can see the discussion here: