SeinfeldRules Scenario Thread (CMFB)

Hello all,

With winter fast approaching, my time for gaming is increasing and I've started to create some new scenarios for CMFB. Here are my attempts! As always, my scenarios are not playtested to death and I don't guarantee perfection - I believe in the 75% solution now as opposed to the 99% solution weeks from now!  Please give me feedback - I am always tweaking in order to produce a better experience for everyone! All my maps are "hand made" originals. Screenshots are with a terrain mod of my creation that I'm putting the finishing touches on.

The Lodge at Hurtgenwald v1.0

OTEeNs8.jpg

You are a Rifle Company Commander in the 1st BN, 109th Infantry. Three days ago you were a brand new Platoon Leader, but the hell that is the woods that surround you has taken the lives of over a third of your company and thrust the mantle of leadership upon you. The incessant rain, mud and mortars has taken their toll but slowly we have advanced, taking the town of Germeter and the woods beyond it. Your next objective, Hurtgenwald, sits less then 1KM away to your north east. Your battalion commander has ordered you to take your company and seize the lodge of the local forest master, located halfway between you and the outskirts of Hurtgenwald, and push into the town itself. At your command, your weary and miserable men reluctantly haul themselves out of their holes and go forward. As they near the edge of the treeline, a burst of gunfire rips through the branches above their heads...

Edited by SeinfeldRules

On 9/11/2016 at 8:22 PM, SeinfeldRules said:

Hello all,

With winter fast approaching, my time for gaming is increasing and I've started to create some new scenarios for CMFB. Here are my attempts! As always, my scenarios are not playtested to death and I don't guarantee perfection - I believe in the 75% solution now as opposed to the 99% solution weeks from now!  Please give me feedback - I am always tweaking in order to produce a better experience for everyone! All my maps are "hand made" originals. Screenshots are with a terrain mod of my creation that I'm putting the finishing touches on. <snipped>

If you're looking for more feedback, consider uploading to The Proving Grounds (TPGII at http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/).  It's what they do!  B)

Good luck with this and thank you for your efforts.

On September 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM, PanzerPajamas said:

It's a tough slog. I'm only about 10 turns in and it's pretty well game over for me, thanks to exhaustion and enemy arty. Hopefully others will do better!

Yes, my first play through I exhausted all my men with quick moves across the whole battlefield... Most scenarios do not include Weakened units in them, so we are not used to playing with them. Move is the order of the day... Quick should be used only in direct contact or across danger areas, and give them several turns to rest afterwards. Remember these soldiers fighting in the Hurtgen would have been in constant combat with littlesleep, in persistent rain, cold and mud. Gives you an appreciation for what they had to go through! Other tips include keeping units in reserve, to maintain a fresh body of troops ready to take the next objective, and to watch for the spotting rounds of the mortars. Use you artillery to prep your objectives, and keep the far threats from influencing the close fight. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tough slog. I'm only about 10 turns in

On 9/16/2016 at 3:13 PM, SeinfeldRules said:

Yes, my first play through I exhausted all my men with quick moves across the whole battlefield... Most scenarios do not include Weakened units in them, so we are not used to playing with them. Move is the order of the day... Quick should be used only in direct contact or across danger areas, and give them several turns to rest afterwards. Remember these soldiers fighting in the Hurtgen would have been in constant combat with littlesleep, in persistent rain, cold and mud. Gives you an appreciation for what they had to go through! Other tips include keeping units in reserve, to maintain a fresh body of troops ready to take the next objective, and to watch for the spotting rounds of the mortars. Use you artillery to prep your objectives, and keep the far threats from influencing the close fight. 

I used the Move command most of the time, but they still got tired pretty quickly. The main problem I encountered was that they were caught in the open during an artillery barrage. It pretty much decimated the company at an early stage. I would probably be more cautious next time, but time constraints pressure the player to push forward. This is not a criticism of the scenario, just a reflection of my poor tactical skills and the reality of fighting in that location and at that time.

• 2 months later...

A new scenario!

East of Aachen v1.0

http://bit.ly/2imjAVC

pls8XgK.jpg

You are a German infantry commander, caught in the ever tightening noose that encircles Aachen. Your Volksgrenadier Regiment is responsible for the eastern portion of the defense, and has been slowly pushed back towards the edge of the city. American gains are steady, but we counterattack wherever we can to give the defenders of the city more time to prepare. Just this afternoon, American infantry and artillery pounded our battalion's position, pushing out our sister company from their foxholes and taking the ground for themselves. Your company, the regimental reserve, was quickly assembled and sent towards the position, in an effort to throw the Americans out before they can consolidate the ground and dig in.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, SeinfeldRules said:

Anyone have any feedback on the above scenario...?

It was very enjoyable (even though I lost). The American artillery felt appropriately effective: the off-map artillery annihilated my heavy machine gun platoon and caused a number of casualties among the rifle platoons; and the light mortars likewise took a toll. In the end only one VG-platoon, the pioneer platoon and the StuGs were available to assault  the "Woods" objective, as the other two platoons in the company were ineffective due to casualties from the artillery and American infantry.  Unfortunately most of the assaulting infantry and pioneers were killed or wounded by hand grenades in the forest, and the Americans still had two men in the objective zone at the end, thereby denying me the objective. I got a little careless towards the end, which resulted in some unnecessary casualties, but fighting in forests seems very costly for the attacker (although this is due to CM game mechanics) as a couple of enemy soldiers with SMG's and grenades can kill a whole squad in a matter of seconds.                

• 6 years later...

Very interesting and difficult scenario. Your Volksgrenadiers are of poor quality and will tend to run away easily.
From the start you have to choose between attacking the two objectives by dividing your forces or attacking them one after the other which is hard with the time limit.
It is very difficult to do better than a draw by attacking the woods first.
Maybe it’s better to attack the farm. I’ll try a second time with this different tactic.