German band of brothers movie?

On 14/9/2016 at 1:03 PM, StieliAlpha said:

My favourite German war movie is still "Die Brücke". The old version from the 60's, of course. No CGI, only one poor Sherman model, but still immensely touching.

I watched that one long ago, and the only thing I remember now is the scene where the US soldier goes up and tells the boys to return home, only to get shot in the stomach.

Reading the plot on wikipedia, it strikes me how the Americans are portrayed in a very positive light, whereas the Germans are shown several times to treat each other badly, shooting each other etc. Does anyone know if this movie was part of the intentional de-nazification of Germany?

Also, apparently it was based on a real event. Anyone knows more about that?

29 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I watched that one long ago, and the only thing I remember now is the scene where the US soldier goes up and tells the boys to return home, only to get shot in the stomach.

Reading the plot on wikipedia, it strikes me how the Americans are portrayed in a very positive light, whereas the Germans are shown several times to treat each other badly, shooting each other etc. Does anyone know if this movie was part of the intentional de-nazification of Germany?

Also, apparently it was based on a real event. Anyone knows more about that?

The movie is based on an autobiographic novel by Gregor Dorfmeister. So, yes, it is probably a "real life" story. That the Germans come out badly is probably not "intentional de-nazification"^, but just the mood of the Sixties. Of course, Bernard Wicki made this movie as an "anti war" movie and therefore he protrayed all the various conflicts between the the panicked kids, the still firm Nazi's, the old battle worn grognards, .... which culminated in the pointless and desastrous defense of this this tiny bridge. 

Edited by StieliAlpha

'Stalingrad' is a great movie. It does a great job of conveying the apocalyptic horror that occurred in the surrounded city, and has one of the most depressing 3rd acts I think I've ever seen. 

Unfortunately for me, the first time I saw 'Das Boot' was in a high school WWII class, and it was the English version that was shown. It was a great movie, but I'll never be able to take it fully seriously due to the more humorous moments from the dubbed version. 

Has anyone ever read the book "Soldier Boys" by Dean Hughes? Its a fictional account of a German and American soldier and their experiences as replacements on opposite sides of the line during the Battle of the Bulge. Its a book written for young adults, but I still remember it being a good read.

Well, from what I´ve seen and read so far, MHWL Leibstandarte appears to be a reenactors feast, with UK italian reenactors (or living history groups), providing all the men and hardware. At least these guys know their business, when it comes to equipment, SOP´s and the like, so I expect somewhat more from them when it comes to portrayal of german military & men, compared to the usual hollywood crap. No idea about the storyline and messages carried through that movie, but I won´t judge, before I´ve actually seen it.

That Fallen Eagle I confused with, looks interesting as well.

Edited by RockinHarry
confused title

I have the movie on Blu Ray watched it last year. Its worth a watch. Low budget film but still something different.

I did like how they wore the correct camo Plane tree smocks and helmet covers, I seen a Oakleaf Winter Parka fall side quite cool to see as i do like my Camos.

I do own Generation War which is really good. many others of the great WW2 films.

Also there are many books out on Waffen SS. Just read Black Edelweiss good read, he tell a story when he is a POW after the war and while all the combat is fresh in his mind and tells why he joined the SS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0966638980/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by ironcross13

These books are written by respectable and decent American historians and have nothing to do with anti-semitism. They are discussing espionage and the influence of American communists upon US policy during ww2. The origin of the persons is irrelevant and never mentioned, not even once. If these books contained anti-semitic sentiments I would never have mentioned them in the first place.

Gundolf, no, McCarthy isn't mentioned in 'Stalin's Secret Agents'. The author has written another book, called 'Blacklisted by History', which concentrates entirely on him, but I haven't read it yet, so I can comment on your question.  From the reviews I understand that McCarthy wasn't exactly a likeable person, but he was right about a lot of things and in a certain way also a victim of communist lies and accusations. The situation as described in 'Stalin's Secret Agents' must have played a mayor role in his crusade though. And the Venona project (the breaking of the Soviet coded messages with their agents in the US) also brought a lot of information about the size of the communist penetration in US government and society.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blacklisted-History-Senator-McCarthy-Americas/dp/1400081068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474344449&sr=8-1&keywords=blacklisted+by+history

On 9/19/2016 at 1:10 PM, ironcross13 said:

<snipped>

1944 looks good also i must get this.

Trying to find that myself (Russo-Finish front correct?).  I haven't seen available anywhere for streaming (like Netflix).  Let us know where we can get it after you've got yours ;)

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Trying to find that myself (Russo-Finish front correct?).  I haven't seen available anywhere for streaming (like Netflix).  Let us know where we can get it after you've got yours ;)

Tannenbrg line, Estonia actually. Only available on DVD, or Kodi if you have streaming set up on you PC or android device. Maybe they'll get a full  youtube version. Here's 10 minutes bellow. Not bad.

On 9/22/2016 at 2:53 AM, RockinHarry said:

Camouflage comes before cover. Whatever other qualities in such movies are present, I mostly stop watching if seeing any sandbags or WW1 type   entrenchments on these nicely arranged sandbox battlefields. :P

The fortification scheme I can live with. But there's no "kill"  in that "kill zone" out front.  Where's the (lethal) flanking fire from the similar hedgehogs to right and left? Minefields, anybody? That probe (tank plt. + rifle coy.) shouldn't even make the foot of the hill before being forced to ground, then chewed to bloody pulp by 81mm for the next few hours. While whatever track the tanks approached on gets plastered by Regiment.