Looking forward to next patch

antaress73

19 hours ago, Sublime said:

Yes as antaress ninja'd me on even tho BS is an alternate timeline Ukraine HAS been preparing for war for 3 or 4 years and still has less than 20 OPLOTS. 

But given the factory is in the Ukraine to me it seems more realistic the Ukraine would rehab and or pump out a bunch of t80s instead of brand new oplots to help their bulats. Who knows. It just seems to me something thats beem built before and was built in the thousands there would prolly be more easily done. And the T80s bad rep in Russia is undeserved I believe.

Not exactly preparing...more rebuilding and restructuring their current forces to achieve a basic aim (ie defend the homeland), whilst fighting a localized, high intensity conflict. As I understand it, according to @Haiduk and others, the focus has been on numbers of reliable,combat tested and familiar MBTs (T72/64) rather than an unproven, just-barely-out-of-prototyping-diapers Oplot.

For the Ukraine, due to their very long and porous border with Putinland, its about achieving a large number of self-mobile tubes they can point at the enemy, rather than an MBT that is only partially superior to the upgrade Russian T-72/90. Since a reliable, easy to train on quantity is their aim it makes sense to avoid the T-80, as it has some bad mechanical/technical characteristics. I believe those flaws have quickly became apparent during the Donbass War. 

Anyone more knowledgeable, feel free to correct/educate me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-80BVs have been returned to service only for VDV. Main case why was assumed this decision, its have large speed and will be capable support air-asasult (former airmobile) units in raid actions. Experience of deep raids of 2014 have showed the need of heavy armor support. 

Now six T-84 "Oplot" (not modern version BM "Oplot") under repair and light modernization works, in December its will be transferred to military unit, but unknown in what. Malyshev's factory is modernizing own machine tool park in order to in 2017 to increase number of produced vehicles, but information about number of BM "Oplot", which have planned to produce is classified.  

PS: why many of you are saying "the Ukraine", but "USA", "Russia" etc ? :)

Edited by Haiduk

3 hours ago, Haiduk said:

PS: why many of you are saying "the Ukraine", but "USA", "Russia" etc ? :)

Interesting  - I've been corrected several times online (including here) and in person here in Toronto that the correct format is The Ukraine, not Ukraine.  

However Wikipedia (don't laugh) notes that this is the older, pre-independence, Soviet era format and is now considered derogatory of its sovereignty. Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing here in Canada. 

I certainly prefer to be correct,  so Ukraine it is. 

(And thank you for the T-80 info). 

Edited by kinophile

I dont see it as deragotary. Itd be saying like " the fighting in the united states." " or the fighting in the russian steppes"

Guess its just how theword comes out in english buddy.

Ukraine it is.

Im interested did you mean experience in t80s showed flaws in CHECHNYA or did you mean the Donbass? I never heard of t80s being used there but it doesnt mean youre wrong. Im interested in what numbers, what side, and what flaws - same as in chechnya or.. ?

31 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Related to the controversy over "The Ukraine" vs. "Ukraine", for a long time Argentina was referred to in English-speaking societies as "The Argentine", at least in the UK. I have no idea how that came to be common usage.

Michael

Huh, that is unusual. Was that before/after the Falklands? It would be interesting to see what etymological impact the war had. 

@Sublime as I understood it, it's considered belittling within Ukraine,  as it is viewed as a Soviet hold over where Ukraine was in effect a subsumed state. I checked with my Ukrainian in-laws in Ukraine itself and they replied yes,  Ukraine. Why the 'the? '. 

2 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Was that before/after the Falklands?

Before. My experience of necessity is of the usage mostly in print, and I don't recall seeing it much in materials produced after, say, the 1950s. A native of the UK who is also a word junkie might be able to shed some light on this.

Michael

I understand the point im just saying for westerners i think its just a flow of speech thing. Certain names lend themselves more to say fighting in say Russia. If you said say fighting in America yes, but fighting in United States? No. You.d need a the.

P.s. interestingly if you go on war is boring theres a really funny story. Apparently someone in the Falklands has a troll twitter account and continually harasses the Argentinians. To the point its in the news almost daily. Hilarious. To me at least.

7 hours ago, kinophile said:

However Wikipedia (don't laugh) notes that this is the older, pre-independence, Soviet era format and is now considered derogatory of its sovereignty. Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing here in Canada. 

No, all more simply and not so derogatory. Historically, since 15-16th century "Ukraine" means not state, but name of territories aside Dnieper - "border land". First time the name "Ukraine" mentioned in Ancient Rus' cronicles in 1187 in the same sense of "frontier, border land" with reference to some frontier principalities. So, from the point of view of Ukrainan linguists, if you say "Ukraine", you means "state". If you say "the Ukraine" you means "land, region".