Mod Release - Sowy Uniforms

This is a collection of infantry, vehicle crew uniform and gear textures that provides a ‘dusting of snow’ over the base textures from Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg. It was inspired by @Umlaut 's work with the German Uniforms in Fortress Italy. Ever since using those files, going back to clean uniforms while fighting in a snowstorm has appeared a little off.

The base textures are 99% from the Final Blitzkrieg base game with a handful of others from the community for increased variety in the snow set. Special thanks also to Umlaut for giving permission to use his CMFI Uniform snow effects where applicable.

All files in this package are already mod tagged, so the snow textures will automatically appear each time the ground conditions of a battle is set as ‘Patchy Snow’ or greater. Should encompass all uniforms covered off in the main game. (Even for those odd snow battles in September :D ).

I live in one of the hottest climates on the planet and have spent a grand total of six days of my entire life in snow. If there is any snow grogs out there with suggested improvements just let me know in this thread.

US - http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4474

German - http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4478

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I live in one of the hottest climates on the planet and have spent a grand total of six days of my entire life in snow. If there is any snow grogs out there with suggested improvements just let me know in this thread.

Thanks! I'm a "snow grog" and will have a look at them. You should come to Sweden when it is -20C and 3 feet of snow, the landscape is simply stunning.

Here are some of my thoughts on snowy uniforms and gear. I must say I don't envy the task of making this realistic as there is now way to make a layer of snow look thick as the textures are 2D. Must have been hard and here are some suggestions on how to make it even better.

From my experience snow sticks to rugged textures better than slick ones which would mean more snow on greatcoats than regular uniforms. It tends to stick in folds and creases and to anything that "sticks out". Arms usually as you walk or run, shoulders and on top of gear especially backpacks, water flasks, ammo pouches and radios. If you wear a backpack snow would for sure stick a lot between tha backpack and your back. Not much snow would stick to helmets, unless you sit still. If very very cold, they would probably be layered with thin ice crystals as sweat and humidity from the head gets cold. I would rather see more smaller patches of snow rather than two big ones across each shoulder. Some uniforms have more of a frozen look to them with less patches which looks great for a uniform that has been wet and then more or less frozen. That kind of look is in a way more convincing as snow can't be thick due to 2D. Finally, can uniforms be tagget for weather rather than ground conditions? Snow on the ground but clear weather can suggest clean uniforms/gear while falling snow would start to accumulate on uniforms/gear. It might even be possible to tag the weather to different sets of uniforms/gear, with blizzard conditions meaning lots of snow on uniforms/gear.

My 2 cents .... thanks for making them and even if you leave them at this I will probably use them.