CMRT Winter Mod "Cholm GPU Prison" scenario

As fall is just over the horizon and winter not much different from fall in my part of Texas it is therefore time to look once again eastward towards the frozen wastes of Russia.

This is just a small scenario with a small map but hopefully a catalyst to grow other Cholm battles.

A work in progress but I always appreciate any ideas or feedback...

0%20cholm%201_zpstjuwcwgc.jpg

EDIT: I will add lots of craters and destroy probably all the trees. Blast the roof off the prison. I will make a special tile for the burnt fenceline from a railroad tile. Need a grey kubelwagen, some crates. Need a dirty trampled snow tile. Some roadsigns..."73 miles to South of the Border"! Do they still have those on I-95? :D

Edited by kohlenklau

cholmmap_zpsok8xofht.jpg

1 ) The Temple: attracted many Soviet heavy caliber artillery attacks, because the Soviets suspected German artillery observers at this point;

2 ) GPU Prison: Main defense point for the fighting in the East section. It was here that Hauptmann Albert Biecker earned the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross on 20 March 1942 for his command of the defence GPU Prison. Biecker was killed in action five weeks later in Cholm, four days before the pocket was relieved by German forces;

3 ) Das Kino: main Soviet starting place for attacks against the GPU prison;

4 ) Alte Panzernest: Soviet tanks mainly gathered here before attacks against the East part of the city;

5 ) Red Ruined: place of savage fighting that changed possession several times during the siege, also a place where snipers (both sides) were positioned;

6 ) Der “Lausepelz”: one of the main enemy infantry positions, gathering points;

7 ) Der “Nordfriedhof”: or Northern cemetery, in the nearby church tower there was a main Soviet artillery observing point and was very well fortified by the Soviet troops;

8 ) Kirche im Osten: or Church in the East, fighting position that was the HQ for fights in this section (East section) of the Cholm Pocket, also German artillery observers point;

9 ) HQ Kampfgruppe “Scherer”;

10 ) Die Haarnadelkurve: so-called because of its pointy appearance, main place where Germans dropped supply containers, main medical posts and ammunition were stored here (in the Western part);

11 ) Air field: the improvised landing strip where JU 52s and Go 242s landed, was situated in no man’s land.

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks Jacob. I have several hobbies but all this WW2/CM stuff is my #1 hobby at the moment and although I am an amateur with photoshop it is so much fun to explore what can be done. I don't have faith that we'll ever see CM cover this WW2 timeframe in the next 10-15 years so modding is perhaps the only way to get a murky glimpse. 

Timeline2a_zpsks3fam46.jpg

I expanded the map to ~500x500 based on Google Earth analysis of the Cholm area. Looks the same now as then for the odd lay out of the roads!

I created a burnt fenceline tile. I removed all living trees and added in no leaves flavor object trees from umlaut (I think) @umlaut. The burnt rubble base of the destroyed burned down buildings is from Juju's TRaP project @Juju & his discarded parachutes will be sprinkled around and the supply containers "versorgungsbombe" I have a wall from Nigel "Stalingrad Mod" Pye. @NPye  but sure wish I had a better looking bullet and shell pockmarked GPU Prison. I will try to make one. Still need to make the trampled dirty snow tiles and roadsigns.

0%20cholm%202_zpsio4qugis.jpg

Looking good !

My only suggestion would perhaps be to place a few rubble flavour-objects scattered along the edges of the flatten Buildings (if they fit in this snow terrain)...

Something like 10-15 rubble-objects ought to be enough for the 6 flatten buildings in the foreground of the pictured for example...

Maybe you could also use some other terrain type under the buildings to simulate some finer debri around some of the buildings...(works quite well imo if the Buildings are placed so that they occupy halves of actions squares...

Only some minor suggestions...Looking forward to the finished scenario...

Thanks ! :)

Good suggestions. Thanks. I was looking at the various junk flavor objects and trying to see how to get one of them to look like burned wood. It isn't clear where they get their textures from. One has tires, bottles, a can and bricks and wood.  Another just has wood but it is snow modded white. If I find the texture I can see to burn it a bit and leave some snow texture. I will try other terrain types under the building as well and the "half an action square" tip!

Well, this is so much fun! I am going nuts modding whatever I need. Frosted the burnt rubble as well as the exposed floors in the prison.

blasted the leaves off the Birch tree as I saw it in the Besieged book.

Next up I will pock mark the walls of my facade.

Redesigned the GPU prison per the book as well.

AI plans in progress! 

But gotta take a week break and fly to see my Mom for her 86th birthday. But when I return, I will finish this up.

0%20cholm%203_zpskrurhocu.jpg

Besieged by Jason Mark is a superb book on the battle. Just like all his other books it's easy one of my favourite WW2 history books.

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=9780975107690&cat=5

http://www.helion.co.uk/besieged-the-epic-battle-for-cholm.html

So really pleased to see a scenario set here.

I want to make some scenarios for another turn based game.

Edited by Wodin

I am up to Revision E already with the scenario. If you have read the book, then the scenario probably will be more enjoyable as you'll know the background to what happened. Otherwise, it is just a defense against the AI and the human player can possibly get bored if they are used to more mobility or whatever. But this is an attempt to recreate the battle feeling and atmosphere and allow the player to see how it happened, more or less.

I have it out to several guys for playtesting and one loves it and one said he kinda hated it but that was a book reader and a non-book reader for this battle. I have tweaked things to try and mitigate the negative aspects of a defensive battle. I happen to love the battle and what happens as you try and destroy tanks at your doorstep or Soviet sappers trying to demolish the walls. @Wodin PM me if you'd like to playtest it. :D

Here is the latest in the evolving GPU Prison.... 

0%20cholm%205_zpspcoqdkvl.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...