Tanks don't fire

I don't know how to answer because I am not following you. What do you mean by "let them fire manually"? 

They way things are supposed to work the tank crews are governed by a tactical AI and they should fire at the enemy when they spot the enemy. No intervention from you required. You can see what enemy units they can see, if any, by selecting the tank. You can also order them to fire by using the target command. With that you can pick which spotted enemy they should shoot at or you can get them to fire at buildings walls or the ground.

What part is not working for you?

How do you know "your tanks" have spotted the enemies "you know are there".You have the "Godspot". all knowing information of the battlefield, your tanks do not.You as a new player may think they should be spotted, but the game engine is saying "no spot" for some reason that we cant tell(smoke,dust,haze,trees,etc.) with out a nice video or some screen shots.Also sometimes due to the elevation mechanics of the game the commander sitting higher up then the crew will spot, but due to "the crew/gunner"being lower in the tank, the tank will not shoot, because the gunner needs to spot.

Well my point was that sometimes tanks will not decide to shoot at targets that are very far away. I think it maybe depends on whether they believe they have a good chance of knocking out the enemy at that range. But in that case, you can still manually order them to fire.

I had that situation happen to me in a recent game, with several 75mm Churchills not firing against a Stug at about 1500 metres, even though they clearly spotted it.

When I manually ordered them to fire, they eventually managed to knock it out.

If you select the enemy unit (left-click on its icon), then that enemy icon lights up. Any friendly unit which has seen that enemy unit will also have their icon illuminate. That is the only way to know if your unit has spotted the enemy.

If it looks like they SHOULD have spotted the enemy, but have not, then in the next command phase draw a Target line to the enemy unit. If it is light blue, then there is LOS and the only reason they enemy is not spotted is probably because the friendly unit has not seen them yet. The spotting system sometimes means that a unit can take a long while to see an enemy. Many variables play into this.

Ken

10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Well my point was that sometimes tanks will not decide to shoot at targets that are very far away. I think it maybe depends on whether they believe they have a good chance of knocking out the enemy at that range. But in that case, you can still manually order them to fire.

I had that situation happen to me in a recent game, with several 75mm Churchills not firing against a Stug at about 1500 metres, even though they clearly spotted it.

When I manually ordered them to fire, they eventually managed to knock it out.

Thank you, this should be what happens to me.