Physical Maps

Not really a mod, but I wasn't sure where to post this.  Anyway, I like having physical topographical maps.  For me it makes it quicker to read the terrain than flying the camera around the game world.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that anyone had actually made any, so I just started making my own.  This was my initial attempt at one of the smaller scenarios.  It turned out... ok, I think.  I can't actually get to a printer at the moment to see what it looks like on paper, but in theory it is sized to print on a 5x8 card.  I'm going to keep making them regardless, but if anyone thinks that they might be useful I could post them on here as I finish them.

CryHavoc.pdf

I think that this is a pretty cool idea. 

Execution wise there is an issue.  To get the map to more or less fill a 8.5x11 page I had to use a scale of 300%.  The image is a bit low res / high compression and I can see jpg artifacts on the printed page.  Even then the title is so far away from the map that what I did cuts off the title even though the left, bottom and right border are pleasant enough.

Personally I would target 8.5 x 11 or A4 instead of half size cards.  But if you really like the card size perhaps just creating the image such that others can scale it up to fit a full page.

Thumbs up.

4 hours ago, IanL said:

I think that this is a pretty cool idea. 

Execution wise there is an issue.  To get the map to more or less fill a 8.5x11 page I had to use a scale of 300%.  The image is a bit low res / high compression and I can see jpg artifacts on the printed page.  Even then the title is so far away from the map that what I did cuts off the title even though the left, bottom and right border are pleasant enough.

Personally I would target 8.5 x 11 or A4 instead of half size cards.  But if you really like the card size perhaps just creating the image such that others can scale it up to fit a full page.

Thumbs up.

Well, technically my goal was 1:25k scale because that is the most detailed military map scale that I have a protractor for... it just happens that the maps are so small that they all will probably fit on a 5x8 card.