Small scenario

I have a small scenario to test out. I took a QB map, modified it to my needs and set up a small scenario.  This is a very simply made scenario, no flash or razzle dazzle. I made this one in response to the request for small scenarios. If controlling less than 20 men is your cup of tea, give it a try and let me know what you think.

It is called Scouts out front.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvg65c28hxku6uu/Scouts out Front.btt?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...

Heirloom_Tomato,

I just tried out your Scouts Out Front Scenario.  Played it at Elite and got a Total Victory with about 28 minutes left.

I did a small vignette of the action at one point of the battle.  I posted that in the Screenshots Thread.  You can see I had some fun with it.

The map is good.  The premise is nice as well.  Clear the town and hold if possible, but back away if things get too dicey.

The scouts are supposed to be a little better than the rest of the unit, but I wonder if Crack with +2 motivation/Leadership is historically correct for all of them.  At times it felt a little like watching an episode of Combat!!! as the guys were all pretty much killing machines and needed to survive for the next episode coming up in a week.

This sort of came to light when I tried to rush Moore and his sniper buddy across the street, only to be fired upon by two Germans with cover behind walls.  My guys handily took them out.  This might also have been because of the German factors - they might be green troops, truck drivers left in a village and waiting for the rest of their unit.  It just felt like Crack and +2 were sort of overkill, but maybe that is just me.

The battle played out very well.  I snuck up on the village pretty well, using cover and covered arcs to keep from firing until I was close.  The Crack and +2 might have helped this quite a bit, as I was not discovered right away and the whole object was to be stealthy, so this was a good thing.  My guys sighted several enemy positions and were not sighted themselves, so this was very consistent with your mission of scout ahead, determine the enemy strength, and then take them out.

All in all, a very nice debut.  I liked it, and I think I played it out as you had intended by the briefing.  Tension built as I snuck up on the village, easing up behind houses and starting to identify sentries. 

One small confusion was that I wasn't sure I was supposed to destroy the trucks.  The trucks had an odd effect on my guys, as they were reluctant to follow hunt commands.  They kept responding to the enemy trucks and taking cover.  This was well after I had killed the men that had been near the trucks.  The troops wouldn't respond to commands to hunt if they had the trucks in sight.  Finally I had the one unit with the most ammo left start destroying trucks, either with grenades, demo charges, or rifle rounds.  Then I was able to clear the village properly.  With one truck left, the game ended at the 28 minute mark with a Total Victory.

Again, nicely done. You only have a small number of troops, you don't know how many enemy you might run up against, you have to watch your ammo, and the battle plays out pretty quickly.  For a small scenario, it is very good.

Heinrich505   

Heirloom_Tomato,

Heinrich505 couldn't have put it any better. I really enjoyed your scenario - i always find it refreshing to control a small number of units and not be overwhelmed by it all. Bring on  the small scenarios, folks! Destroying the last truck also worked for me.

I had fun and that's all I ask of any scenario. Keep up the good work. Apologies for not providing any detailed feedback.

Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...