FOs Conduct of Fires Net

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

My outmoded criteria!  Listen here, I'll not be lectured on battlefield metrics by the son of a nation brought to its knees by potatoes!

Lack of potatoes,  stolen by the English Spud Snaffler Imperium. 

Nice precision strike miss,  BTW. I'm a gonna screen grab and display here for chortlification by the watching peasantry. 

M1: export versions are less armored. Not applicable to the bustle. That's a good shot they made. The vertical flames are from the ammo blowout panels. If the crew kept the ammo bin doors closed, they had a chance. If they were undisciplined (or just unlucky), and those doors weren't closed, well, I hope it was quick.

But, APS systems are proven to work. It's only a matter of time until the US has them on all their tanks. 

2 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

I have to wonder if I can't get a job at the daily mail simply by sending in random selections of words.  

As far as the video:

There is no tank on earth I'd want to take a hit from anti-tank weapons in the rear.  Full stop.  I can't name an AFV that would handle an AT-5 to the rear well.

As far as point of impact, every reason to believe it was the turret however.  There's nothing in the engine compartment that would brew up like that, so unless it was a very shallow hit that had effects going up through the engine deck and turret bottom, pretty sure it was a hit on the turret.  

As far as difference between Abrams

In terms of rear protection, mechanically speaking the only difference would be on later model M1A2s, there's a bustle rack extension (after the various bits and bobs got stuck in the original bustle rack, the need for storage became acute) which might work as adhoc slat armor.  Would in no way count on it though.

In terms of non-mechanical protection, I'm highly doubtful of Iraqi security practices, and would suggest rear shots on anyone's tanks are highly dependent on low skill crews/poor infantry-armor integration.  

As far as APS

It's going to happen someday.  I think the question is if it'll be a "smart" type APS as the first fielding, or something off the shelf as an interim first.  I'm leaning towards off the shelf if things get any more hairy considering that Quickkill has been just short of being fielded my entire time associated with the US military.

BTW that vid is from Feb 2013, I was issued my first Vector in 2005. 

I've been banging on about the lack of proper FIST gear in-game for a year, and am curious to hear what the rationale is for keeping FOs blind in all conditions save Day/Clear.  It was never really understandable from a Fire Support standpoint because it forces a dynamic in nearly every engagement that frankly doesn't exist in the real world, but the game's depiction of TRPs made it bearable.  Unfortunately TRPs are now more expensive for some reason, so the conditions that made it tolerable no longer exist and am finally at the point where I'd just like to understand the opposition/absolute silence.  

I would not give up hope, but this is the sort of change what would more likely be made for a module release.

The QB price of TRPs was increased in the 1.04 patch alongside mines because their price had been copied over from the WW2 games while the total QB points available was much higher in Black Sea than in the WW2 games, making them relatively much cheaper.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Rgr that Vanir
--
Have just finished turn 17 against Kinohibernia.  There were two SIGACTs to report;  A Russian supply truck meandered into my forward line, driving straight through 1st and 2nd platoon and smack dab into 3rd platoon-- who has been caught in the open by an AGL.  The AGL fire has resulted in our first KIA, Private Benjamin, of Ohio.  1st and 2nd platoon have been ordered to ignore the supply truck and begin swarming the large industrial complex to their north while 3rd platoon has been ordered to crawl away into the forest where they will disburse and prepare to wage guerrilla warfare.

On November 5, 2016 at 0:48 PM, TheForwardObserver said:

Another video on FO/FIST equipment while I'm waiting on Kino. 

I thought everyone but the platoon FOs had laser TDs / thermal sights.  Thermal part not working?

Edited by akd