FOs Conduct of Fires Net

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erwin,

During WW II the OSS very nearly fielded #2 in a tube, if you will. The idea is that local guerillas in China and Burma would come up in a crowd, squirt some on fastidious Japanese officers, then hightail it . After analyzing the logistics and a host of other factors, including flying it over the Hump, a rational person in the OSS pointed out there was plenty of this material already in the CBI Theater!  Vice News has a piece called Brown Death which is historical,  fascinating and gross. Shall skip the link.

Regards,

John Kettler

Before we re-enter the realm of Fires, a personal list of things I'd love to see in CM for those arrectis auribus-- just because I've never done this before and I don't reckon a list like this deserves its own thread or attention.  This is but a brief de-tour on our journey.  Some if not all of these have been mentioned before and should therefore be considered me voicing my support and interest in these features.  

1.  Quick Battle Force Adjusment Percentages for Both Teams.  Currently as far as I've found you can only plus up the team on the left in the QB setup screen, labeled attacker-- do tell me if this isn't the case.  I think many people play meeting engagement battles less for the tactical circumstances and more for the situational/points parity-- being able to increase the points available to both sides would be a welcome feature.

2.  Unit soft factor drop downs are more limited in QB than they are in the Scenario Editor.  Supply, Headcount, and Vehicle status aren't present.  This means staples of scenarios like vehicles that've been converted to ammo dumps aren't available for QBs.  It'd be awesome to have access to those options in QB.  

3.  The Supply soft factor drop down allows a scenario creator to reduce by various amounts the total ammo units carry into battle-- It'd be outstanding if this dropdown worked the other way too-- allowing units to carry greater amounts of ammo.   

4.  Final change--  It'd be great if QB Force Selection points and rarity values were displayed in the Scenario Editor.  I recognize the available troops in Scenario Editor and QBs are different, but nevertheless.

5 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Before we re-enter the realm of Fires, a personal list of things I'd love to see in CM for those arrectis auribus-- just because I've never done this before and I don't reckon a list like this deserves its own thread or attention.  This is but a brief de-tour on our journey.  Some if not all of these have been mentioned before and should therefore be considered me voicing my support and interest in these features.  

1.  Quick Battle Force Adjusment Percentages for Both Teams.  Currently as far as I've found you can only plus up the team on the left in the QB setup screen, labeled attacker-- do tell me if this isn't the case.  I think many people play meeting engagement battles less for the tactical circumstances and more for the situational/points parity-- being able to increase the points available to both sides would be a welcome feature.

2.  Unit soft factor drop downs are more limited in QB than they are in the Scenario Editor.  Supply, Headcount, and Vehicle status aren't present.  This means staples of scenarios like vehicles that've been converted to ammo dumps aren't available for QBs.  It'd be awesome to have access to those options in QB.  

3.  The Supply soft factor drop down allows a scenario creator to reduce by various amounts the total ammo units carry into battle-- It'd be outstanding if this dropdown worked the other way too-- allowing units to carry greater amounts of ammo.   

4.  Final change--  It'd be great if QB Force Selection points and rarity values were displayed in the Scenario Editor.  I recognize the available troops in Scenario Editor and QBs are different, but nevertheless.

THIS.

ALL OF THIS.

and to save/load/delete your goddamn custom OOBs. Please, for the Children...

11 hours ago, kinophile said:

save/load/delete your custom OOBs. Please, for the Children...

This would be a great time saver.  Along with having the points displayed in the Scenario Editor.  I have my core OOB TOE typed out on a word document but it is still time consuming to re-select the OOB on the purchase screen at the beginning of every game.   

Interestingly, regarding displaying points in the editor, the manual says this; "Note: Purchase and Rarity points are shown in the Editor to provide guidance on balanced force compositions for Scenario Authors, but play no other role. A “+” after the purchase point value indicates a “lowest case” value for certain formations."

So did the editor display points at some time in the past I wonder?

The scenario editor displays points now and always has displayed points.

What has become the Quick Battle generator, in an earlier iteration, used to display points, and you used to be able to cherry pick your units individually. That was way, way back there, though, before Battlefront was Battlefront, before some of you had been born and before they blamed Apple for breaking the game by releasing System 7. (That was the first time I heard them claim it was all Apple's fault.)

Edited by Jammersix

5 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

The scenario editor displays points now and always has displayed points.

What has become the Quick Battle generator, in an earlier iteration, used to display points, <Snip>

Jammer, I think you may have that backwards.  I just double checked to make sure.  If we're talking about the same thing.  Quick battles show the points that's how you buy your force for the battle.  But when you are creating a scenario it just reads common, standard, rare etc.... 

As we've touched on anti-access and area denial here's the October Rand Study commissioned by the Army on the subject;  I'm familiar with Gompert but not the other two authors.  For those unable to digest the full document, chapters 1,3,4,8 and 9 are the most relevant.

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1300/RR1359/RAND_RR1359.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Another video on Forward Observer equipment, this one features the TRIGR, with some of its predecessors making a brief appearance.

NEAT! Thats alot of functions and force multipliers build into something roughly the weight of a M4 and not much larger then regular bino's.

Any idea of the price tag for one of those? (for the military that is)

Edited by TJT

Set-up completed, turn sent.
All vics this net, this is TFO radio check in sequence, over...
Green to green, we are REDCON 1, SP Operation Potato Famine, time now, over...
Be advised, we have a Blue Bongo Truck and Black Opal heading west along MSR DULUTH IVO OBJ Vicksburg over...
Rgr, continue to observe and report, over...
Fire Target Group B1B, AMC, over
...Fire.

You really gotta learn to hold in it and not blow your salvos at the first hint of an approaching sexy donkey cart. 

I know it's 'hard' over there, all jammed butterball buttcheeks together in your HATO skunk holes, but please -  think of the children. 

Edited by kinophile