FOs Conduct of Fires Net

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, not everything. I think i delayed him fairly well at the Industrial Park, but my big arty strike to stamp on him once he was delayed took WAYYY to long to materialise, due to RUS arty slowness & inaccuracy, and also me letting other opportunistic strikes distract my FS.

So I think my big failure was my uncoordinated arty strikes. Considering I'm not military, nor an FO, its not totally surprising. Still, a failure is a failure is a failure, especially as FS was key to my plan.

But I have analysed my approach and I have learned some lessons. I have a simpler, more sensible approach in mind, that plays to the RUS arty strengths and dodges its weakness.

I'm pretty sure that if he had gone mechanised I'd have given him a bloody nose, due to the sheer quantity of ATGMs. But it meant I essentially brought a 2-meter sniper rifle to a close combat knife fight.

My main take aways:

1. RUS arty cannot be used piecemeal. It is not agile enough, quick enough or accurate enough.

2. TRPs are only useful on highly specific points/structures, as they are now too expensive to build my previous grids (e.g., before 1.04, i'd have gridded the Suburbs for example, with at least 4 TRPs. Here, I only had one there).

3. Urban fights need high ROF, nimble vehicles. BMPs are obsolete, heavy, and slow to fire. Go with the BTR 82As, people. I don't think Id even try a BMP2. I had 3 full crews in the BTR82s survive their vehicle, vs 2 guys from the BMPs did.

5 minutes ago, TheForwardObserver said:

@kinophile So is there a story behind the thunder run with the supply truck in the beginning? 

It was a test - run forward, drop off a sniper team, run back. Draw some fire, distract your inf.

But the sniper team movement got mangled and somehow the truck took off before they loaded. Fun too watch though!

I was testing some FS plans a few days ago (sorry @TheForwardObserver for game delay,  work is mental just now)  and I noticed something curious. Now,  I'll need to do a  proper series of tests,  but my casual, quick glance observation:

(1)Russian response times increase  the longer the pltn is firing

(2)RUS accuracy decreases  after a long firing -  that is,  if barrage 1 fires for 10+minutes,  has 60% accuracy,  Barrage 2 will have 50% or less,  and so on. 

(3) multi unit strikes do not all hit the same spot. 

Eg.

Select  5 pltns 152mm. All elite,  with Elite FO/AC, elite Drones,  TRP.  

Give single,  common Point target for all.

Individual pltns fire their spotting rounds as normal. 

Strikes begin BUT some pltns will drastically miss the target and keep firing. 

TFO I literally had this issue in our Oceans game towards the end -  3 pltn strike in the Industrial Park,  2 hit it with full load,  1 hit the field 50m to my left. 

This happened again on a 5 pltn strike in a test map. 3 pltns hit the 

This suggests the  FO/AC code is not properly directing multi unit strikes above 2 units. 

Anyone else have similar? 

Have noticed that Russian arty strikes take a long time to arrive and are not accurate.  For area fire you often have to set a point target.  If you have a 25m area, the strike will cover 75m etc.

If this reflects RL, the Russians are in unbelievable trouble.  So, am not sure that I do believe that their arty is this bad.

49 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Have noticed that Russian arty strikes take a long time to arrive and are not accurate.  For area fire you often have to set a point target.  If you have a 25m area, the strike will cover 75m etc.

If this reflects RL, the Russians are in unbelievable trouble.  So, am not sure that I do believe that their arty is this bad.

Not sure why it's so inaccurate in game. I called mortars on a apartment type structure had shells land 30 meters to the left. 

Not sure what the reasons are for depicted Russian artillery inferiority in terms of accuracy and speed, but it's tough to comment on these issues in general because fire support in-game and fire support in real life are two totally different animals.  If the game were to more accurately depict artillery; point missions would look like more 100m radius area missions, and the artillery batteries would need much more ammo.  The point target missions in-game more closely resemble the types of effects you'd get from destruction missions, which is when one gun is used to split a 25 meter bracket and repeatedly fires at a single 8 digit grid, subsequently adjusting every third round for max effect.  

And that's saying nothing of anything else which is everything else.