FOs Conduct of Fires Net

The ammo loads seem daftly low, especially for a projected 2-3 hour battle, and also because it seems RUS arty would require constant presence, rather than the current

READY...

FIRE...

FIRES COMPLETE...

Wait until your children have grown up, gone to college, married, divorced, had their children and are looking at schools in the neighbourhood...

READY! 

I 100% agree with the supply option (50-100-200%+)  for QBs/Scenarios.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Some wars stand out to me for whatever reasons and the Falklands War is one of them.

The Falklands War was unique in several ways. It was arguably the first modern war in which a NATO member was defending its own territory. It was the first recent war in which a NATO member engaged in large scale naval operations including amphibious landings. It was the first war (I think) in which GPS and satellite communications were used and were critical. Additionally, it saw the first use of several weapons systems in serious fighting. Plus, it was dramatic as hell and played well on the tv news.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

22 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The Falklands War was unique in several ways. It was arguably the first modern war in which a NATO member was defending its own territory. It was the first recent war in which a NATO member engaged in large scale naval operations including amphibious landings. It was the first war (I think) in which GPS and satellite communications were used and were critical. Additionally, it saw the first use of several weapons systems in serious fighting. Plus, it was dramatic as hell and played well on the tv news.

Michael

I was only recently educated that it also saw the demise of the light cruiser USS Phoenix, which escaped the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour with the loss of only one crew member (her only loss for all of WW2).

She was later sold and renamed the General Belgrano...

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/7-december-1941-the-attack-on-pearl-harbor.25238/#post-224690

4 hours ago, gnarly said:

...light cruiser USS Phoenix...

The curious thing is that some sources rate her as a heavy cruiser due the weight of her armament: Although they are only 6" guns, she had 15 of them, which is a fairly awesome broadside. But her displacement was only 10,000 tons more or less, which places her among light cruisers and less than the Cleveland class (on the other hand, most heavy cruisers of about that same generation also displaced around 10,000 tons). I haven't checked her armor, but at that displacement it must have been comparable to other light cruisers of that generation.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

• 4 months later...

Regarding the USS Phoenix at Pearl Harbor, when I was in elementary school, one of my classmates, Jeanie O'Brian (not sure of spelling) told me/the class (recollection fuzzy) her dad was aboard her on December 7, 1941 and that so sudden was the attack warning he raced to man his antiaircraft gun stark naked!  Evidently, he slept that way for comfort, but it left a lot to be desired as combat attire. That image has been permanently burned into my brain and came roaring out of the depths of memory when I learned about the storied past of the General Belgrano after she was sunk by HMS Conqueror. She is now retired and is a museum ship! But two years after the Falklands War, she was involved in a Grade One Cold War intelligence coup, one I never heard of before. Astounding story!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9602103/HMS-Conquerors-biggest-secret-a-raid-on-Russia.html

On a topical note, I think we need some sort of master FS post into which we place the links to the ever growing posts relating to that vital topic. For example, we now have two threads specifically devoted to FA vs tanks. This OP is now the first of two on how you conduct fires, with what and why. The amount of information which has gone into those posts practically beggars description, and I believe we need to find a way to rapidly access it so we don't keep reinventing the wheel.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

Returning to the broad theme of the OP, in hunting for a photo for a book I'm working on, I found this. The main article is, pardon the expression, dead on target: Optimizing Fires." Haven't read it yet, because I still haven't found the photo I seek.

FIRES May-June 2016

A Joint Publication for US Artillery Professionals

https://www.dvidshub.net/publication/issues/29529

Regards,

John Kettler