The Blitz Scenario of the Month program

• 4 months later...

The Blitz is running two scenarios this month.

Sign up for the November scenario of the Month has started over at the Blitz. This month the scenarios are:

CMBN:  A Royal Pain (requires the CommonWealth module to play)

CMFB: Battle for Chaumont - First Round

The form post on theBlitz for sign up.

What's the standard of the scenarios like normally?  Seems the CMFB scenario has attracted some criticism in terms of balance.  Not sure if it's designed as an 'against the AI' scenario or, if it is badly balanced, if it's just a design problem.  I enjoy H2H, but only if the scenarios are worth playing.

Edited by Apache

Well we don't intentionally pick poor ones to play :D but the main goal (after getting people together to play who might not have otherwise) is to get some experience with some of the scenarios.  One of the best things about the Blitz is the scenario database with the play record.  You can look at the list of scenarios and see which ones are balanced for H2H play and which are not.  But that only happens if the scenario get some play.  And coordinating a group of people to all play a scenario at once gives everyone data, comments and ratings on the scenario.

You can find all the scenarios with H2H play records here (lots more than just CM games BTW): http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/b-15.htm

Here is a few specific examples:

Cutline to Grosshau: http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-final-blitzkrieg/cutline-to-grosshau/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=11547
It is a well rated scenario with what looks like a slight balance in favour of the Axis side but you can see the players felt they had a reasonable chance to win.  People had fun so perhaps giving the US to the more experience player could put things in nearly perfect place - but regardless it looks like people had fun playing it.  Probably a good choice for H2H play.

Attack on Verrieries Ridge http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/attack-on-verrieries-ridge/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3689
Looks about as well balanced as you will likely see and reasonably well rated too.  This looks like a great one to play - I just add it to my list.

Bloody St Omer Chapelle http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/bloody-stomer-capelle/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3596
Looks like an unbalanced scenario but not a total lost cause.  It rates well so it could still be worth playing but at least you know what you are getting into.

There is a side goal to make tweaks to the scenarios that are not balanced to force them towards better balance for H2H play but no one has actually done any edits as of yet.  Perhaps one day.

Thanks.  Interesting and informative.  I signed up and immediately had my account disabled getting the message "Our software has detected that you might be a spammer".  WTF???  

Not the best start.  I'll see what happens after the Admins review the account.  Or just bin the idea altogether :(  Not too impressed.  First time I've EVER  encountered c**p like this!

Edited by Apache

Hi.  Maybe.  You'd expect with a registration that says the admins will look into it that you'd get some kind of correspondence from them.  As it is, my IP address has changed, with a router reboot, to one that is not blocked.  So I can now access the site main pages but when I try to log in it seems the account is still blocked.  So I've binned the idea.  Life's too short.  Wasted more than enough time on it as it is. Thanks anyway. 

OK that's your prerogative and totally fine.  May I ask that you send me a PM with your site user name and your email that you created the account with.  I can then ask the powers that be what happened.  We currently have one admin that is dealing with RL issues and it is his job to contact people then a gentle poke from me might get things moving.  I understand that life is short and you have to invest time where you think you can get the most return, keep in mind that many of these gaming sites are volunteer run and plenty of stuff falls through the cracks from time to time but we all try to create a good environment.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...