Maps needed?

Hello,

I'm a compulsive mapmaker when it comes to wargames, and I'm returning to CMx2 after a long break that started before I really got into the map-making.

I'd like to create some nice maps to share with the community but I was wondering where the demand lies. Is it for QB maps, or are players interested in maps at all? Are full scenarios what people are really looking for?

I'd be happy to receive any opinions or suggestions. I currently own CMBN/MG and CMRT, and I've cross-posted this in both forums. I hope that's OK. I should be picking up CMFI/GL and CMFB over the next few months.

H

I think what we need are more quality scenarios.

Not to insult anyone, but I see a lot of maps and scenarios that are really poorly made, while scenarios made with care and attention to detail both in the map and the gameplay are few and far between. They do exist, but we need many more of them.

Especially smaller scenarios are in high demand on this forum, as far as I can see.

Edited by Bulletpoint

7 hours ago, Badger73 said:

I know Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais is his.  I thought it was excellent and would heartily welcome more like it.

Thank you. I've only done that one scenario so far, so @kohlenklau has a point about my own output being pretty limited, but I did try to follow my own advice: I put a lot of time and effort into that little scenario, and more importantly, I took in feedback and criticism and used it to make the mission better. I believe constructive criticism helps improve stuff, and maybe that comes across as harsh sometimes. It's never intended that way from me.

As for @Holdit, since you were asking what people are interested in, I gave my honest answer, and I stand by that. But maybe it would be better to simply say: Do what you like to do. If you love making QB maps, those will be appreciated by people who play quick battles. If you love to make scenarios, those will find an audience too. Many are asking for smaller scenarios, but the big battles also have many fans.

@Holdit if you are volunteering I've been trying to get around to a Battle of Arracourt scenarioidea for some time but just don't have the time to create a master map big enough. ;)

Though there is quite a bit of crossover now between CMFB and CMBN, the early Siegfried Line battles in September 1944 is a bit of a gap for CMBN.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think the best way to balance what I like doing with what people want is to make maps for scenarios I'd like to create, but QB-ify(?) them first, and then create scenarios to go with them and upload the scenario versions later. The demand for smaller scenarios is noted, which is probably the best place to start anyway.

On 11.7.2016 at 6:44 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

@Holdit if you are volunteering I've been trying to get around to a Battle of Arracourt scenarioidea for some time but just don't have the time to create a master map big enough. ;)

Though there is quite a bit of crossover now between CMFB and CMBN, the early Siegfried Line battles in September 1944 is a bit of a gap for CMBN.

I´d actually jumped into the siegfried line stuff last year and had 3 scenarios in the works with various degrees in progression, but since the V 3.12 patch f.....d up pillboxes now beeing highly vulnerable to mortars and Arty, I took a break from getting on with them (3rd US AD first breakthrough SE of Aachen, 9th US ID first attack into the hurtgen forest - Todtenbruch, and a prototype scenario that was as good as finished).

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

A number of diagonal paved road transitions need fixing, 

I could only find one...right in the centre of the map, but it's fixed now, and I realised where I've been going wrong with those. Thanks again.

On 19.7.2016 at 0:01 AM, Holdit said:

I could only find one...right in the centre of the map, but it's fixed now, and I realised where I've been going wrong with those. Thanks again.

yap, just one. Sorry! I had Juju´s cobbled roads mod active at that time and forgot it needs a special setup to make it all look smooth. :)

13 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

You'll be happy to know that I went over my new map very carefully to be sure all diagonals were smooth :)

Hehe... yes, it´s one of the more overlooked map features that can get messed up, since the GM is so meager about usage and it needs some trial & error time to figure the combos that are meant to work together.