Your one golden Tactical Rule

I'm bored blind on set today so... 

Interested in your 1 Golden Rule for combat within CMBS. 

Now, I don't mean your various macro/micro tactics for the different units,  but 1 simple,  hard and fast tactical,  in-battle rule you try to live and die by. 

(nor do I mean your OOB selections etc) 

Eg. 

1. Always have a flanking attack as part of my main attack

I call it my Perpendicular Rule - whatever attack is launching also have a secondary attack perpendicular to the main axis. I find every single time I ignore that rule it costs me far too much to succeed. 

I apply this at the map wide scale all the way down to Squad/vehicle level. 

I'm sure this is blindingly obvious to anyone with military training,  but it's still no harm to articulate it :-)

Edited by kinophile

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Slow the F down.  Every time I get board because I am not making contact and start moving faster or not being careful about whose over-watching for whom it has ended badly.

This is my problem every time, if I would just think things through more I would probably win a lot more games. I find reconaissance irritating when I can't see anything and end up trying to draw fire which leads to the opposite of what needs to happen. Although sometimes like in the last Ukrainian campaign mission I just can't spot the enemy and I get stuck.

12 hours ago, IanL said:

Slow the F down.  Every time I get board because I am not making contact and start moving faster or not being careful about whose over-watching for whom it has ended badly.

I wrote one just before you posted this (which my tablet ate so didn't get posted) which amounted to:

My cautious advance with scouts, overwatch, bounding team movement and good spacing will only be maintained whilst not in contact with the enemy. As soon as I start getting sloppy or lazy about that stuff, that is the moment the enemy will open fire.

22 minutes ago, TheForwardObserver said:

i like to assault the enemy front on foot with a solid core of elite/fanatic manpads platoons while my veteran/fanatic supply platoons maneuver against the flanks

Supplied with tins of Spam and out-of-date MREs (if they ever do got out-of-date)

Hmmm... Savegame early and savegame often. ;)

The goddess of victory is not an accountant. Losses get written off?

Seriously...smoke, smoke, and more smoke, followed by suppressive fire and unengaged overwatch. Moving units should be no more than 1 in 4 of the units engaged.