Being able to see how troops are composed in the buying units screen.

It think this should be an option for every game. I'm a newbie, and maybe experts don't have this problem, but I don't know how every unit of each side is composed. Army vs Para vs Airlanding have it's differences. Some have one Bren, some have 2, etc... The same goes for vehicles. I find it specially hard to know how every German vehicle is armed with all the variants, etc. So I have found myself going out of the purchase screen for PBEM games and into the editor to see how a specific unit is composed.

The ideal solution would be to be able to see a screen of the vehicle/unit individually, but maybe they can implement some kind of deployment like what its in the editor. The units you are about to purchase would be displayed for you on an empty map. This is not an ideal solution but it would be usable.

2 hours ago, womble said:

Aye, the current mechanics for troop purchase and deployment are clunky indeed.

True. I continue to beat the drum for purchased units to appear first in a floating window where they can be inspected, organized, or whatever. If they were presented as a TO&E so that lines of command were also shown, that would be nice.

Michael

My little workaround for this problem is to just purchase a whole battalion of something and have a look it (all sortetd out by platoons and companys) on a wide and flat map in the deployment phase.

A preview would be great!

Edited by DasMorbo

2 hours ago, DasMorbo said:

My little workaround for this problem is to just purchase a whole battalion of something and have a look it (all sortetd out by platoons and companys) on a wide and flat map in the deployment phase.

Yike! I'd call that more than a little workaround. I just break one down into the parts as listed on the purchase screen. I usually just want one company or platoon anyway, so it's no big deal to delete the rest right there and then. It is also easy to assign specialized units to the larger unit that I want them to be subordinated to. This is important if I want to make sure that a platoon has its own organic set of trucks or HTs. Lately I have been experimenting with assigning a scout team to each platoon of infantry. Obviously you can do the same thing with sniper teams, MG teams, or whatever kind of specialized unit you choose. This avoids having units floating around outside the chain of command.

Michael

On 23.6.2016 at 10:11 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Yike! I'd call that more than a little workaround. I just break one down into the parts as listed on the purchase screen. I usually just want one company or platoon anyway, so it's no big deal to delete the rest right there and then.

Michael

I think we talk about different things here - I described what I do to find out the composition and especially the armament of an outfit. I did that once with every new CM game or module to familiarize me with the new units. So basically it is testing

What you describe is normal purchasing.