Anyone up for a little tournament?

27269251115_d125926261_c.jpg

What we have on offer here is “One Long Morning,” a short four-game CMFB tournament representing (fictionally) small-unit actions on the opening day of the German December 1944 offensive. The scenarios are very small and quite brief – 15 to 30 minutes – and all take place on the same map (this will be familiar to those who played in my CMBN tournament “The Farm” some years ago). All players will play all four games, with the winner being determined by the total score of all four games. The tournament is strictly limited to 16 players. Deadlines are detailed below.

Scoring works like this. Each game has 200 points available via a variety of objectives. In addition, players will gain 100 points per scenario for completing a detailed AAR (detailed narrative with photos and/or video) in a dedicated thread on this forum. As should be fairly obvious, players who do not complete AARs will be at a significant disadvantage – please consider this before signing up. Both players will report scores for each game. In case of discrepancies in reporting, screenshots will be required to validate the scores.

27199407401_75ecacb2a7_c.jpg

With small, short scenarios, the games will be completed quickly. With this in mind, here's the schedule:

Game 1: Play: 1 Jun – 22 Jun; AAR: 23 Jun – 29 Jun

Game 2: Play: 29 Jun – 20 Jul; AAR: 21 Jul – 27 Jul

(One week hiatus)

Game 3: Play: 3 Aug – 24 Aug; AAR: 25 Aug – 31 Aug

Game 4: Play: 31 Aug – 21 Sep; AAR: 22 Sep – 28 Sep

For obvious reasons, all games must be complete before AARs are posted, hence the separate windows for each.

The sign-up period will begin at noon Eastern Daylight Time on Saturday 28 May 2016. To sign up, send me a private message with your email address after that time (early entries will be ignored). The first 16 will get slots; I will keep a reserve list in case anyone drops out midstream (but if you think you might not be able to complete the whole tournament, please don't sign up).

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Those are very tight dead lines.  21 day windows is tight but OK for 15 minute but not for 30 minute scenarios.  I would love to be involved but I don't want to be in a position where time runs out while trying to play - not again away.

They are tight, but bear in mind that the scenarios are really small. Playing turns will be quick, even for the most fastidious players.

I agree with Ian L.  Time frames are too tight.  Might be do-able if you are situated in a similar time zone as your opponents, since you could get off a series of turns in a single night but my experience with tournaments is that I always play against people in Europe (I'm located in Ontario, eastern North America), so even if I whip off a turn as soon as I get home from work by around 6:00 PM, it's 11 PM or later over there, and so generally it's one turn per day at most, and then you have real life coming into play every now and then.

For anyone who wants to participate, include your location in the PM to me and I will try to match people in similar regions to minimize the time issue. There's also the option to play turn-based via direct connect and just bang it out in a single session.

4 minutes ago, IanL said:

Good luck everyone. I am not going to get into this one unfortunately. I already had an unfortunate wasted experience with deadlines that were too tight a few weeks ago. I am not eager to repeat that.

I too have a problem with Deadlines just like you ...in scenarios, but we won't go there.

The schedule can be adjusted a bit after the first round winds up and you get a sense of how the battles are playing out. Just a thought anyway. Preventing players from dropping out while keeping the event moving is tough. I will be interested to see how small missions on the same map work out. 

Kevin

It's fun. You will have a good time. The Farm was great and this should be better given that you get to play all the scenarios. My problem is that if I am forced to end a battle early because of a deadline I'll be annoyed and feel like it was all a waste of my time. I have just had that happen and have no desire to repeat.

I imagine there will be no issue getting takers and filling up all 16 slots though.

Well, having had this open for sign-ups for 48 hours, I'm closing it down for lack of interest. Not sure why so few people are up for it; when I ran "The Farm" for CMBN, I had to expand it to accommodate the flood of people who wanted in. Apologies to those who contacted me, but we need critical mass to make it work, and it doesn't exist.

Mods, please lock this thread.

55 minutes ago, Bimmer said:

Well, having had this open for sign-ups for 48 hours, I'm closing it down for lack of interest. <Snip> 

It may be worth keeping it open for a few more days.  It is a holiday weekend (here in the US) and many people are away from their computers with family etc.  Wait for them to go back to work so they can see your post when the boss isn't looking :D.  Also some of us don't have the game yet.  I am having problems with the download and the physical copy has yet to arrive.  I would like very much to play in the tournament but of course I can't commit until I get the game.