New Campaign - needs testers

I certainly hope not.....I thought it was done & dusted when I posted it the first time, then I checked it again and discovered I'd had a total brain-spazz with the VPs!  :blink:

Assuming you don't discover any horrible issues with 'The Heist' I'm going to try to get the first and third scenarios together for 'Abdul Gul's War' (The Blue One), the third AI plan & some broad AI re-tweaking for 'Going Soviet: Action & Reaction' (The Red One) and also hone my CM:SF Mosul scenario 'The Hornet's Nest' down to something a bit closer to the actual situation on the ground at the time.  Combatintman's been looking at it for me and I'm awaiting his feedback (after he's had a chance to look at what I've done in the editor) before deciding exactly how to proceed with it.

Oh that and watch the Russian Grand Prix, live for once!  :)

Looked at Heist and it looks very intriguing as a Islamic "Kelly's Heroes" exploit.  I really like your briefing "story".  

A question re ammo.  My understanding is that the first column in 5.45mm the 2nd is for larger caliber like 7.62mm.  However, some of your units don't have weapons requiring 5.45mm (they re all 7.62mm) and yet have quite a lot of first column ammo and little second column ammo.  Conversely, you have at least one unit that has at least one weapon requiring 5.45mm and there is no "first column" ammo at all.

Also, do the CMA and CMSF games differentiate between 7.62x54, 7.62x39 or 7.62x25 and other larger calibers (like the Brens use 7.7mm)?

I hadn't noticed that Erwin, will have a look in the editor, but based on my tests everyone appears to be able to fire.....I did notice that Abdul Gul's command unit appeared to have ammo in the second column (I think of it as medium small-arms) and attempted, apparently with limited success, to have him resupply an LMG team (their fire rate appeared to pick up). 

This is another area of the game that could probably use some proper exploration.....You really should have a look in the editor, at least 1/3 of the game's real value is to be found in there IMHO and you can learn a lot more about how the system works (and then share it with the rest of us). ;)

Let me know how you get on with 'The Heist'.....Hope you have fun.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Whichever you like.....If you want a big battle, 'Action & Reaction' is the way forward, if you want something smaller try 'The Heist'.

Combatintman has got back to me with a preliminary report, so my efforts will be focussed on Mosul for a little while.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

You are the tester, you tell me.....I just write the stuff!  ;)

'The Heist' is probably the one I'd expect to need to mess with least, simply because it's so much smaller.....The current posted version of 'Action & reaction' only has one of three AI Plans and that one is missing a bit (looks like I exited without saving again at some point).  It plays to completion OK, but the AI is a little less aggressive than it's supposed to be. 

I'd be interested to see how an experienced player gets on with the balance of forces in 'Action & Reaction' once the Relief Column arrives.  It's meant to be very fire-power heavy (to the point of overkill), but directing this fire accurately and in a timely fashion can be tricky (preserving the Spetsnaz really helps) and you are quite short on infantry (Air Assault Battalions are light on manpower).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 month later...

Doing my best, got a bit distracted by Mosul in Iraq, but work goes on.  ;)

'The Heist' has, I hope, finally been honed to a proper state for campaign play, while it's very simple to look at, it can be an utter b*****d to play if you don't micromanage your every move and plan out each action thoroughly in advance.  If you decide you need to destroy an enemy unit you need a proper plan and you do need to do it thoroughly.  Half-hearted efforts can really come back to bite you.....This is based on my own experience in testing and I designed it! 

If you'd like to test 'The Heist' please send me a PM.....I'd appreciate your opinion on whether it is too hard for the early stages of a campaign (it caused me to rage quit a couple of times while I was tuning it to its current state). 

Want to help but am suffering the usual periodic CM burn-out.  I need to play/do something else for a while.  Need to go have a few flings with the co-ed dolly birds who infest my building like friggin very sexy sirens...

But my wife won't let me...  :blink:

So, back to scenario two, 'The Heist'.....Had to do some more fiddling in the editor as I realised I hadn't allowed enough time for the first scenario 'Breakout' to take place.  'The Heist' is now set in mid June rather than early May, which led me to an interesting discovery, the sun appears to rise over the mountains at the same time each month, but the skies are noticeably lighter. 

I've moved the scenario back 15 minutes to 04:15hrs and amended the briefing to note the time the sun appears on the horizon (as closely as the editor allows me to determine), which is now the final turn.  I'm not sure how the new light conditions will play out in the scenario, probably in the Mujahideen's favour initially I suspect, but things might get interesting towards the end.....I'll be testing the very latest revision this evening, if anyone wants to join me, please shoot me a PM. 

HeistCover_zpshf9xthcw.jpg

TheHeistBriefing1_zps4tsvy8ut.jpg

TheHeistBriefing2_zpsyd7xezo7.jpg

TheHeistBriefing3_zpsijzk2n8b.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Got it, thanks…

I really am suffering from CM burnout – but hope to get excited to play again soon…  Inshallah…

PS:  Re Testing.  A designer has to get a scenario to the point that he thinks it is perfect AND ONLY THEN ask for testing.  Cos that is actually the Alpha. 

You will then get useful info about aspects that you would never have thought of.  Then the Beta is made, cos that is definitely “perfect”.   And then you get additional feedback that you would never have thought of.  Only after at least two “perfect” iterations have been edited is the product ready for prime time. 

If this was a screenplay a writer may have to produce dozens of iterations/versions, so I understand the frustration.  But that’s what it takes to produce good work. 

PS:  What happened to "Taking It To The People"?  Was that completed?

Edited by Erwin